Currently, I'm holding the top e string with my right hand ring finger to anchor it better. However, this means that when I let go to play the e string, if I need to go back down, I hold it again, which menas I can't let it ring if I need to.

Currently, I can see 3 alternatives, none of which are comfortable for me:

1. Having middle, ring and pinky hovering over the guitar, like I'm giving the "Ok" sign.
2. Having middle, ring and pinky rolled in to my palm, like I'm making a loose fist.
3. Having the tip of the ring or middle anchored onto one of the pickups.

What do you find is most comfortable for your picking hand?
Try 1 or two, anchoring yourself onto the guitar body with your fingers will seriously hinder your playing further down the line. By touching strings pickup or body with your fingers your reducing your mobility.

Both of the first two may be uncomfortable at first (i use the first one myself and that was a bugger to get used to when my old guitar tutor got me to change my picking) but it will pay off if you try and get used to it because having your arm free relaxes it more.
I think i get what your saying
Anchor your hand by placing your pinky finger on the body of the guitar.
I never use my pinky finger when finger-picking
Use your thumb to hit the E, A, D strings
Use your index to hit G
Use your middle to hit B
and Use your ring to hit high E
and with your pinky rest it on the body of the guitar below the high E string
Thats how i play
if i need to anchor my hand, ill use a light palm mute, almost action on the bridge
and use my pinkie on the body of the guitar as a pivot point.
you can pick faster with your hand hovering, but it can be less accurate
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by nick_b
if i need to anchor my hand, ill use a light palm mute, almost action on the bridge

i do this too, if im playing something slow i'll anchor my ring and pinky and have my hand raised a bit more
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by nick_b

Its only more accurte if you dont practice, look at Paul Gilbert for example, ive never seen him anchor and yet he plays very technical inticate parts. The whole anchoring makes you more acurate thing is only true as a quick fix, its a bad habit and cn seriously impact your abilities