Hello, everyone! I have just a few questions for you today, but first some backstory: I've been playing for a little over 2 years now and I still have the same guitar, a Yamaha EG112c that is about 6 years old now but still works fine. I've upgraded it a bit; messed with the electronics, replaced the tuners and set it up nicely, but it's by no means the best guitar ever. I like it and plan to keep it, if only for sentimental reasons, but I think it's time to upgrade.

Anyways, I was looking into the Ibanez RG and S series guitars, because I do use the tremolo on my Yamaha quite a bit. I've done some research and since most people seem to think that mahogany > basswood and it wouldn't be worthwhile for me to replace an Edge III with an OFR, I have decided to go with an S-series guitar. I'm liking the S470DXQM right now, but I have a few questions about it.

Firstly is there any real reason to pay more for an Ibanez S620EXQM? I can see that the pickup selection is different, but nothing that I couldn't change on my own. Plus I'm really liking the 470's transparent blue finish as opposed to the 620's black. Now, I haven't yet had an opportunity to get myself to Guitar Center to play them both, but on paper there doesn't seem to be any justifiable reason to charge more for the 620. Why then the price difference?

Secondly, would it be more worth my while to buy a different type of guitar completely, keeping mind that I like playing a lot of classic rock, hard rock, 80s metal and a touch of blues? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
get one they play well

but the headstock->neck joint is weak

mine just snapped an hour ago
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Just cause you snapped yours doesn't mean TS will.

Mahogany is not better than basswood, its different.
If you end up playing both guitars, and can't find a difference then it's not worth the extra money. (I'm not too familiar with the differences between the guitars as far as specs go, can't you just look at each guitar's specs on the ibanez site?)
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I did compare their specs on the Ibanez website, and the only difference that I could see was in the pickup selection-certainly not a big enough difference to justify the added cost in my mind. Besides that I do use my middle pickup, so I think I'm fairly set on the 470. I was just wondering if there were any sort of "hidden" features in the 620 that made it more worthwhile. I was also wondering about the pros and cons of the S series in general-things like the weak headstock-neck joint that Squierlolz brought up-and whether perhaps another type of guitar would better suit my playing. I guess I may just have to try out a range of guitars-I'll most likely get to that sometime next week. Thanks for the responses, everyone! I appreciate your input!
Bump. Anyone else have any input?
I have input on the RG series as always but no experince with the S
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I dunno, an Ibanez RG350DX (The white one, same as you have =P) was kind of a backup choice, but I've heard that the Edge III is awful and I'd rather not go to the bother of buying and installing an OFR when I could get something from the S-series instead, especially considering the great things I've heard about the Zero Resistance trem. It's not completely off the table though, seeing as I'm still in the research phase of my guitar purchase. As such, I would be more than happy to take advantage of your knowledge =D.
Well then I have played 3 different rg's (including mine) mine is a year old as I bought it from a friend and the EDGE seems fine to me so far. Anyway I absolutley love my RG and really could play it my whole life. Ive also played an $800 one owned by my uncle which is how I fell in love with them in the first place. So far mine has been able to handle everything from gnr and motley crue to arch enemy. They play great with the wizard neck and all, really fast and easy with the proper setup of the edge which I had proffesionally done. Overall I recommend ibanez in general even if its not an RG.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I also give a thumbs up to ibanez. And you could look at schecter as an option. I do hate the edge 3 trems.
So far one person hates the Edge III and one loves it-I dunno. I guess I may just have to try out some guitars from both series. I looked up some Schecter guitars just now, and while they look good they seem a bit too...heavy? Tonally. That said, the Schecter Damien Special FR looks pretty nice, although I'd probably replace the EMGs and I have no clue as to the quality of the tremolo. Can it handle some mellower music like, say, RHCP or The Police in addition to teh Br00talz?

I still think that the Ibanez S-series is "it" right now, but I'm still curious about the differences between the 470 and the 620. Thanks again for the help, everyone =D
I have the s470dxqm and Its pretty nice although I do want some nice emg pickups. One thing I dont like about the S series is that it only has 22 frets. Improvising a solo is not as satisfying as it is with 24 frets. I'm thinking about getting a RG series next. If I had known anything to begin with I would have got an RG over the S, but I didn't even know 1 guitar could have more frets then another
I don't really go above 20 too often anyways, so that's not much of an issue for me. How is the guitar as far as playability goes, and how is the tone with the stock pups?
"classic rock, hard rock, 80s metal and a touch of blues?"

Are you sure then you want an Ibanez of the kind? They are not known for their classic rock or blues tone, you know. Do me a favour when going to the store and also try out a Gibson Explorer for me and see how it works out for you

As for the s570, Wizard II neck are alright, you won't have to complain about playability ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
"classic rock, hard rock, 80s metal and a touch of blues?"

Are you sure then you want an Ibanez of the kind? They are not known for their classic rock or blues tone, you know. Do me a favour when going to the store and also try out a Gibson Explorer for me and see how it works out for you

As for the s570, Wizard II neck are alright, you won't have to complain about playability ^^

Then why did I get that nice blue tone out of the Ibanez SA? No, they are good for blues or classic rock. Tone is more on the amp anyway.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Not agreeing with you there - a good amp responds well to the guitar, not the other way around - the amp only amplifies the character of your guitar.

Still there's not one standard for a blues tone so I'll give you that. But for classic rock I'm thinking of the fat crunch that I can find in a Les Paul but not in that Ibanez.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
All i can say is that switching to Ibanez guitars is not a bad choice, Ibanez guitars in my expirience atleast are good for versitile taste in music meaning you can play different styles of music on it from rock to metal to neoclassical stuff, plus it has the tremolo which always helps.

I personaly am also deciding to buy a new guitar for about $1000 and i almost decided to go with the Ibanez RG Prestige 2550z

I dont know what your budget is but all i can tell is you cant go wrong with ibanez, unless you are buying some cheap cr@p

Good Luck
I have the S470 (in viking red) the blue actually at times looks a little purple in person. great guitar. I have said numerous times on this board that I think the ZR is the best trem system out there. Its easier to set up and just feels better overall.

I play a variety of music from country to rock to metal and this guitar does it for me. I have updated my pickups to a Dimarzio Drop Sonic in the bridge, Dimarzio Air Norton in the middle and a Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell in the neck and I can get any tone I want out of my 470.

I highly recommend the 470.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by lethalagent14
So far one person hates the Edge III and one loves it-I dunno. I guess I may just have to try out some guitars from both series. I looked up some Schecter guitars just now, and while they look good they seem a bit too...heavy? Tonally. That said, the Schecter Damien Special FR looks pretty nice, although I'd probably replace the EMGs and I have no clue as to the quality of the tremolo. Can it handle some mellower music like, say, RHCP or The Police in addition to teh Br00talz?

I still think that the Ibanez S-series is "it" right now, but I'm still curious about the differences between the 470 and the 620. Thanks again for the help, everyone =D

Well a schecter damien is a metal machine. Im not saying go schecter over ibanez. But schecter does make some guitars that are good for any kind of music, not just metal. Look at like a C-1 classic. Or the tempest, all kinds of them really.
Cool, thanks for your help, everyone! I have a list of guitars to try now when I go to Guitar Center, including the Ibanez RG and S-series guitars, an Explorer, and a Schecter C-1 classic-I suppose I'll just let personal preference take the lead here. Thanks, everyone, for helping me narrow my choices down; it's much appreciated!
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Well a schecter damien is a metal machine. Im not saying go schecter over ibanez. But schecter does make some guitars that are good for any kind of music, not just metal. Look at like a C-1 classic. Or the tempest, all kinds of them really.

IMO, the ATX blackjack FR is your best option; it's expensive though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.