Its a design in a humbucker to let you 'split' the wiring and magnets which lets you use it as a single coil.

More or less it!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Its a design in a humbucker to let you 'split' the wiring and magnets which lets you use it as a single coil.

More or less it!

I thought that was split?
It does split, effectively a humbucker is two singlecoils wired together, and a coil tap splits it so one of the 'singlecoils' is used.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
use the search bar next time buddy. and no, that is incorrect. I'll use my explaination i posted in the last thread about this.

Coil split= Split the humbucker to sound like a single coil (strat pup)
Coil tap= take a single coil and ground out some of the windings so there are fewer turns picking up vibrations of the string, making it less hot.

if someone is saying a coil split, they mean a humbucker turning into a single coil. if they say a coil tap, its a single coil losing becoming lmore vintage sounding. but because people use them so interchangeably, you can pretty much assume they mean coil split when they say tap.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by TehMasterSword
use the search bar next time buddy. and no, that is incorrect. I'll use my explaination i posted in the last thread about this.

Coil split= Split the humbucker to sound like a single coil (strat pup)
Coil tap= take a single coil and ground out some of the windings so there are fewer turns picking up vibrations of the string, making it less hot.

- fever turns cutting through the flux, so the maximum potential inductance is reduced.

+1

I don't have anything significant to add, apart from the advice to be careful with your terminology, and don't interchange the two - they are NOT synonymous.