Hi, I'm not sure where to post this really, but here seems to be my best bet. I'm looking for a book that contains quite well known/easily recognisable tunes and songs that would be aimed at a young guitarist (about 8 years old?).
Up until now, I've basically been using tabs (pieces like Greensleeves, Romanza, Amazing Grace) however, I'm trying to introduce more theory and trying to steer him away from tabs at the minute. It would be great if the book would be written in both standard notation and tablature but, failing that, standard notation should be fine. I've already got a book that covers progression to music notation, so I'm really just looking for a book that is a collection of (reasonably simple) guitar pieces. I got 20 studies by Fernando Sor... but they're a tad difficult and, whilst I love them , I think he wants to play a piece of music that he "knows".

Thanks in advance!
Here is a .pdf with (in-)famous guitar riffs written both in tablature and partiture!
99 Riffs for Electric Guitar (rapidshare link)
I'm currently learning guitar using the book my teacher asked me to buy "A modern method for guitar vol.1 by William Leavitt / Berklee Press" which is kinda "advanced" and not exciting enough for kids though, no tab at all, no well-known songs/riffs.
(I hope I'm not breaking any rule by posting a rapidshare link :X )
Quote by smaniato

I'm currently learning guitar using the book my teacher asked me to buy "A modern method for guitar vol.1 by William Leavitt / Berklee Press" which is kinda "advanced" and not exciting enough for kids though, no tab at all, no well-known songs/riffs.

I'm on this one too, just bought it some days ago. It's great, a bit advanced indeed, for someone that never tried playing guitar with standard notation.

In my opinion, whatever book you choose, try to incorporate pieces with only standard notation. If there is a tab and you are used to reading tabs, then probably you wont make an effort to learn to read music. It's invaluable, but introducing a book with only sheet music, might be too difficult and boring for your student.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo