Page 1 of 2
When they listen to an album, most people can't just put the entire setlist in their playlist.
I usually pick five songs at average from an album to put it in my playlist, more than that and I consider the album as excellent.

How do you listen to a music and say "yep, that's a song that's worth listening to".

When I rent an album from my local rental store, and if it sucks, I feel guilty about the 150 yen (1.5 dollars) that I spent to rent it so I try to put songs that I actually don't like in the playlist when I only have a song that I like.

I really don't care about the genre.
The selections I make are depended on my preference of catchy melodies (does it now explain why I listen to the Spice Girls?).
I don't care if the song is a classic, I hate Hotel California and Sweet Home Alabama for their boring ass melody.
This also affects my lack of interest in heavy metal.
Quote by radomu
When I rent an album from my local rental store, and if it sucks, I feel guilty about the 150 yen (1.5 dollars) that I spent to rent it so I try to put songs that I actually don't like in the playlist when I only have a song that I like.

Dude.

LIBRARY.
You're*
Quote by radomu

I don't care if the song is a classic, I hate Hotel California and Sweet Home Alabama for their boring ass melody.

You should be burned at the stake.

A good song is something that makes me shiver. When the overdubs and melodies work with each other.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I usually like most albums from start to finish. I can even get into crappy songs just because I have horrible taste in music.
Quote by Survivalism
Dude.

LIBRARY.

I live in Japan, and I rent classic stuff like the Beatles and the Who from the Library...

Because no library in Japan seems to have music that are made after the 70's.
They are basically packed with jazz, blues, country, japanese enka (it's country music), and rockabilly with some rock.
The Government (private libraries don't exist in Japan) are too damn conservative.
Quote by Regression
I usually like most albums from start to finish. I can even get into crappy songs just because I have horrible taste in music.

Explains why you like Ayu.
I don't listen to her at all, but her albums are basically almost flawless.
Quote by radomu
The selections I make are depended on my preference of catchy melodies (does it now explain why I listen to the Spice Girls?).
This also affects my lack of interest in heavy metal.

Please no.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

A good song is something that makes me shiver. When the overdubs and melodies work with each other.

I agree, music needs to be thought through, worked on and to really 'wow' people. I hate the notion of music made purely for the sake of selling units and being catchy rather than having genuine thought and emotion put into it.

I usually listen to every song off of an album and there's usually one or two that I don't like, the album filler kind of songs.
Quote by radomu
Explains why you like Ayu.
I don't listen to her at all, but her albums are basically almost flawless.

Why not?

Theres only about 2 flaws I can remember hearing in her music. The solo in Fairyland, god damn that whammy part, and in Together When... when it builds up, and then they do this one extra hit and it's like WTH.
Why doesn't anyone listen to albums the whole way through?
Quote by jackofclubs
Freebird!!!
Quote by aaciseric
I agree, music needs to be thought through, worked on and to really 'wow' people. I hate the notion of music made purely for the sake of selling units and being catchy rather than having genuine thought and emotion put into it.

I usually listen to every song off of an album and there's usually one or two that I don't like, the album filler kind of songs.

In a way that's true for me too.
If it has a good melody and it's written well, then I'm sold.

Bon Jovi is a good example.
I'm not a huge fan, but they were the first real rock band that I started listening as a kid.
Bon Jovi songs are the best when you like singing along with them.
Quote by sebbsmith

Listening to a single band for that long makes me a feel a bit weird, I'll listen to it over about two hours.
Quote by sebbsmith

I often listen to albums the whole way through...
CREATIVITY. You have to have some sort of variety/interest/meaning to the song in terms of instrumental parts and vocal parts/lyrics.

With more mainstream music I still look for this but it's not at all as common, so for that kind of music I would look for good lyrics, catchiness and for it not to be cheesy.

Edit:
Quote by sebbsmith

I do! I pretty much only like bands who have good albums, not just singles or a couple of songs that I like from them.
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
Quote by Regression
Why not?

Theres only about 2 flaws I can remember hearing in her music. The solo in Fairyland, god damn that whammy part, and in Together When... when it builds up, and then they do this one extra hit and it's like WTH.

don't throw titles at me, I see her music videos on tv all the time but I never actually pay attention

They are melodical though.

I don't listen to ayu because I quit listening to J-Pop four years ago.
i listened too music before i lost my ears in Nam. can i please have some pennies for a loaf of bread and a new A string?
Quote by radomu
In a way that's true for me too.
If it has a good melody and it's written well, then I'm sold.

Bon Jovi is a good example.
I'm not a huge fan, but they were the first real rock band that I started listening as a kid.
Bon Jovi songs are the best when you like singing along with them.

Oh wow, another Bon Jovi fan God I love those guys.
I listen to whole albums, because there's an art to making an album.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I look for good instrumental performance, which is basically the only reason I listen to DragonForce.
Quote by aaciseric

Plus, the same old chord progressions get annoying unless you can work them into something interesting. If an artist can break out of one style of music playing it's a bonus too. Teenage Riot is an excellent example of what wows me, that second riff is just winding and hypnotic...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by aaciseric
Oh wow, another Bon Jovi fan God I love those guys.

I admit it, I shout out "It's my life, it's now or never!" in the shower.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Yen? No way, I live in Japan to!

I know it sounds cheap, but the past week has been a half-price day in Tsutaya so even if it normally costs 340 yen on a normal day, I usually rent stuff when there's a bargain.
Quote by B O D O M
I look for good instrumental performance, which is basically the only reason I listen to DragonForce.

...Have you seen them live?...
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
Quote by Sparks92
...Have you seen them live?...

Yeah, they're terrible for some odd reason.
They lower the key and the songs sound cheaper than the masters.
Quote by radomu
don't throw titles at me, I see her music videos on tv all the time but I never actually pay attention

They are melodical though.

I don't listen to ayu because I quit listening to J-Pop four years ago.

You... Quit listening to a type of music?

Do you like it? It seems odd that you made a conscious decision to stop listening to J-Pop.
Quote by radomu
Yeah, they're terrible for some odd reason.
They lower the key and the songs sound cheaper than the masters.

I've heard that, but never really looked into it.
Good melody, that gives you a special feeling, like Finally Free by Dream Theater, Home by Dream Theater, Stairway to Heaven, Fade to Black, Fear of the Dark, Dust in the Wind, Carry on Wayward Son and more...
Quote by kimthekiller07
I Want To Ask The Tech To Replace It But He Looks Very Angry And Grumpy.

Quote by sebbsmith

I think its cause not many people buy em anymore so they are used to just gettin their song off itunes or limewire or whatever and they are now used to just one good track at a time. Its a shame really
You cool man?
Quote by Regression
You... Quit listening to a type of music?

Do you like it? It seems odd that you made a conscious decision to stop listening to J-Pop.

Yeah, I used to listen to ONLY J-Pop when I was 12 or 13.
I loved High and Mighty Color, T.M. Revolution, SOULd OUT (the only good Japanese Hip Hop in my opinion), and others.
Before that I used to listen to American black hip hop from 50 cent, 2pac, and Eminem.

Unfortunately when I encountered this "new" genre called rock music, notably when I forced my self to listen to my father's Led Zeppelin CDs, it completely changed my life when I was 14.
Now I'm 16 and I love and know Rock and Roll more than anyone in my class (the emo rock-fan in my class though Guns N' Roses were British and Clapton is an american that invented blues, so I'm ahead of him).
Everyone else listens from Linkin Park to My Chemical Romance, while I enjoy stuff from the 60's all the way to now.

After that, J-Pop sounded like crap to my ears.
I finally had the confidence in my life that I listen to good music.
I accidentally a coca-cola bottle.

Personally I look for a fine balance of melody, agression and guitar work. That's in metal, at least. As far as other genres are concerned it's just pretty much whatever makes me tap my foot.
lyrics
Gear
Basses
Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass in Olympic White

Guitars
Squier Stratocaster Showmaster NLT HSS
Stagg Electro Acoustic

Amps
Carlsbro Cobra Bass 90W
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Squier SA-10

Quote by Fandubidable
I think its cause not many people buy em anymore so they are used to just gettin their song off itunes or limewire or whatever and they are now used to just one good track at a time. Its a shame really

It's also because people started listening through CDs during the 80's.

Before that, an album was like a creative novel.
Just listen to "Led Zeppelin IV" or "The Dark Side of the Moon" all the way through.
The ordering actually makes sense with a loud exciting introduction and a mellow conclusion.
When people listened to vynals(spelling) they didn't skip a song.

Now we have the power to put the songs in our prefered order or buy the songs individually.
I look for gratuitous dual guitar solos, lots of wahsturbation, pounding overly distorted chugging riffs, played marginally out of tune at 200bpm. Continuous double kicking, with thunderous crunchy bass to shatter your bones, and evil screeches from the demonic vocalist, who's singing about killing.

That is a song and a half.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by EmancipatedSoul
You can rent cd's now?

You don't have that in America?

Then you buy (or use limewire) to get songs?
Wow.
Page 1 of 2