Does anybody know over what chord progression the E Harmonic Minor scale sounds good over? I want to learn it all over the fretboard
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
i like:

Em, Am, Bm, - but i play blues in that so i guess that pentatonic minor.

I might be wirong but try this over Em harmonic minor.

E, E, E, E, F, F, F, F, G, F,

(thats just to show how short the G chord is...... and yes they are all major chords.

Hope this is of help.
Consider the diatonic chords of harmonic minor:

I-maj7, II-7b5, bIII+maj7, IV-7, V7, bVImaj7, VIIdim7.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Generally the Harmonic Minor is played over the 5th(v) chord from the Natural Minor but it is altered to a major or dom7 chord. So... Em, F#dim, G, Am, Bm, C, D. The (v) chord is Bm so you would alter that to B7 and play E Harmonic Minor over that chord. Apologies for this not being typed out the best; I'm posting from my phone.
It'll go well over anything in E minor.

Quote by ChrisN
Generally the Harmonic Minor is played over the 5th(v) chord from the Natural Minor but it is altered to a major or dom7 chord. So... Em, F#dim, G, Am, Bm, C, D. The (v) chord is Bm so you would alter that to B7 and play E Harmonic Minor over that chord. Apologies for this not being typed out the best; I'm posting from my phone.
If I could do that, I wouldn't leave UG.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Same as the chords for E natural minor, except the B is major. If you were playing strictly in harmonic minor, you would make the G augmented, but people usually don't do that.
Harmonic minor is a convention within minor harmony in which the V chord is made major. It really isn't a scale at all. If you want to use the major seventh, either write a simple powerchord riff, or study the convention regarding minor melody (called, appropriately, melodic minor).
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Powerchords are used alot over harmonic minor in metal etc
Quote by Archeo Avis
Harmonic minor is a convention within minor harmony in which the V chord is made major. It really isn't a scale at all. If you want to use the major seventh, either write a simple powerchord riff, or study the convention regarding minor melody (called, appropriately, melodic minor).
How would one go about doing this? / What do you mean?

I understand how it can be viewed as not being a scale (from one of your posts) and how some people use it as a scale (like me) so that has me curious. I always use it as it's own scale and I love it.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥