Well, I'm going to restring my axe, a Crafter Rx720. I'd like it to be really low tuned, like amarth and such, so about B/Drop A. Now I wonder, not only what thickness I should get on the strings, but what strings make the best sound?
I would prefer a sound that makes the best kind of lead you could get with such thick strings, since I switch between lead and rythm frequently. Another possibility is a sound that has many uses, and does not keep you chained into one role (I like variation!).
i play in dropped a# with my band and i use d'addario jazz medium gauge strings (13 - 56)

best ive came across for low tunings, particularly with the wound G, u dont have that fat piece of ass solid steel thing that comes with most heavy gauge strings. i personally cannot stand the sound of heavy gauge strings not using a wound g.
i play in c and i use didarrio's, not the lowest gauge as i find i cant shred very well with really low strings, but i find these to be my favorite
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Thanks!
How did your jazz stings sound, anyway? Doesn't it sound jazzy?
Also, I enjoy playing black/death, but also higher toned things like Metallica. Not that I'll be able to play Metallica with such a dark tone, but I quite like the sound a little. Do you think that those jazz strings would fill those measures? Or is that only possible with a non-lead kind of string?
Amon Amarth plays in B standard and use .13- .62, so that might be a good idea. I recommend Ernie Ball (Super Slinky I believe) because they don't break on me until about 7-8 months of everyday use and they hold low tunings very well. They sound good for rhythm and lead too; I switch back and forth as well.

Citation:
http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=39768
"...To justify the ways of God to men"
Quote by mangz_adr
i play in dropped a# with my band and i use d'addario jazz medium gauge strings (13 - 56)

best ive came across for low tunings, particularly with the wound G, u dont have that fat piece of ass solid steel thing that comes with most heavy gauge strings. i personally cannot stand the sound of heavy gauge strings not using a wound g.

I very much agree. It isn't worth playing with if you don't get a wound G. I've tried to make it work without one but it creates a scrape-ish noise all the time and never stays in tune. At Guitat Center they usually carry single strings, so you can just ask for a wound G (whatever gauge it might be. you'll have to look on the package)
"...To justify the ways of God to men"
I started playing this year, this summer, and this is the first time I restring my guitar, so I don't really know that much about it. I left it for repairs, and asked the guy to restring it at the same time. He just called and I asked about 13-62, but he said he only had 12, so will that do? Also, what is wound G?
Quote by Wolham
I started playing this year, this summer, and this is the first time I restring my guitar, so I don't really know that much about it. I left it for repairs, and asked the guy to restring it at the same time. He just called and I asked about 13-62, but he said he only had 12, so will that do? Also, what is wound G?

refers to the G string, 3rd string from the bottom, and means its a wound string, like your lower strings instead of being a non wound (i dnt know what the word is for this) like the higher strings. normally youd have the low e, a and d in wound strings, and the rest would be just steel. instead now youd have the lower 4 strings in wound. it just makes for a better tone, particularly noticeable with octaves etc.

and as for the jazz strings, they dont sound "jazzy" to me lol. ive always used jazz strings, or tried to, most of the time they are even called jazz/rock strings.

you should be right with 12 - 62. although, u really are gonna hate 62's. i used to play with 60's and the low e is so fat and hard to play. 56's do the job just fine for me, just tight enough and not too fat to diminish your playing so much.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
the G in those strings ^^^^

is the worst thing ive ever played.

those strings also have snapped the easiest of all my string snapping encounters. imo, wouldnt use them again.
Quote by Yngwi3

Those are the exact same strings I use on my Spitfire for tuning to Drop B and A (well, variants of those tunings actually). Then can even hold tune well as low as Drop G, but much below that is pointless in my mind. They sound good and stay in tune insanely well. I kind of dislike the G string, and wish it were either lighter or not wound, but whatever.
D'Addario Heavy Bottom Medium Top work for me in Drop A....the Heavy Bottom Light Tops are decent too. But maybe too light for the Drop A.
I use the "Not Even Slinky" strings and I kind of have to agree on the G string issue. There's an awkward reverberation that creates some weird overtones and often makes it sound crappy. It's usually not enough to drown anything out, but it really comes through on single note solo work.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
ATTENTION DROP TUNERS:

Just know this, using that huge ass 50 something guage string messes up the nut. It WILL widen the nut slot and thusly, if you ever want to go DOWN in guage you will have alot of intonation and action problems.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
ATTENTION DROP TUNERS:

Just know this, using that huge ass 50 something guage string messes up the nut. It WILL widen the nut slot and thusly, if you ever want to go DOWN in guage you will have alot of intonation and action problems.

Of course this really isn't any problem at all if you have a locking nut.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I'm just using medium gauge Elixer's.

Sounds good.

I never liked the sound or feel of using big ass strings.
I have a locked bridge, yeah, so that's not a problem. And also, I have got my guitar now, and it seems as the G is not a wound. I went for the ernie ball strings.
Well, I don't care. Sounds good to me. I made a little longer post in the drop a tuning thread or what it was called now. Thank you everyone for the help!
My gear:
Crafter Cruiser Rx720
Korg AX5G
Behringer GM110 (30W)
And now some new strings, 12-56