As you probably won't know, I've been wanting a guitar for quite some whilse now. After ****ing about and getting laughed at at my local guitar shop, I've made my mind upon what I want to buy. For the amp, its going to definately be the Roland Microcube (I'll have to order off GAK) and for guitar, I tried out the squier affinity series telecater, and although you guys don't seem to fond on it, I liked it when it was in my hands in the shop. Hell, When I was playing it on the Vox da5 Metal sounded awesome on it. So I may just buy the affinity series telecaster. But here are my questions: In my local, everything seemes to be overpriced: the Squier affinity telecaster was £160, but, when I checked on GAK, it was £105. Why is it cheaper on GAK? Is there anything wrong with their products? Also, when they send their guitars out, are they fully checked, set up and tuned? There isn't aything I have to do to the ugitar when I get it, like take it to the shop for a checkup, because the whole point of shopping online was that the price is cheaper. Also, I'm not going to buy a tuner. Would using mp3's be easy? I have had a short history of guitars, so I do know sort of what each string sounds like, and I've had OCD with going through the begginer lessons on justinguitar XD. Oh, and finally, when I will be learning, I will be using the clean on the roland, but when I know what I am doing and can play some songs, will distortion sound good? Because I was playing on the said tele with distortion, and for metal I thought it was pretty awesome. But, It won't be too bad will it, playing rock and metal on a tele? Final question, are there any other guitars around that price range that can handle metal a bit better? I checked out this: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73165 but 'm not too keen, seeing as other people/reviews said it sounded really bad.

I'm looking forward to joining you guys, being a guitarist, thanks in advance

EDIT: New question on this:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/x10/67536

Is this a locking bridge, so you can't move the tuners? And what is a fulcrum bridge? If it is like a floyd rose, I won't get it. But other than that, do you guys like it/is it good for a begginer? Because I like metal, should I get this one, and is it better than the squier telecaster? Bearing in mind I haven't played it before.
Last edited by SlayedInTheFace at Nov 30, 2008,
Hey and welcome, don't worry so much about the prices as a lot of shops will price more aggressively. There are a lot of guys on here who know there stuff so try and take on board the advice they give you about picking a guitar, remember it is your choice at the end of the day, but certainly I've bought my fair share of embarassingly bad guitars when I could have ended up with something pretty good for the same price. My advice is go to GAK if you have the chance and really spend some time picking the guitar you like, also remember to try and invest a decent amount of money in a good starter amp, your micro cube idea is pretty sound, but there may be some other ideas floated around here. Just remember this, one of the dirtiest tricks shops have to sell you a guitar is to plug you into a seriously expensive amp to make the guitar sound better than it actually is so make sure you ask to be plugged into the amp you actually intend on buying, so many people have made these mistakes, but generally you seem to be doing fine right off the bat so I have high hopes that you'll come away happy and not regret what you bought in a few years. In the £100 or so range, i recommend the washburn x10, if you go to £200 I'd recommend the washburn x200 pro (or other 200 pro range depending on your preferred body style) as this guitar would last you a pretty long time, alternatively something like a Epiphone G400 might also be something that interests you. But remember, you may not know enough about what style of equipment you like right now, so keep yourself open minded.
Gear:
Washburn X-40 Pro
Washburn X-40
Yamaha RGX 320s custom (with Duncans)
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Yamaha Pacfica 120V (lol)
Encore Strat pile of **** (mega lol)
Saving for new amp
i got a bc rich kerry king sig for £130 but without a trem
just hunt round for guitars
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
If you like the squier go for it. The upper squiers make better guitars and the affinity series isn't neccisarrily the "best" one. But it'll be fine. As for a "metal" guitar, if you're plugging iit into the right amp (which a cube is perfect for that) then you'll be good.

But you might want to try out some different guitars, telecasters have a thick neck that some metal players don't really like.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
It's also worth noting that even if you're not necessarily familiar with a particular guitar make that it doesn't mean that guitar isn't very good. Don't feel like you're tied to squier or epiphone.
Gear:
Washburn X-40 Pro
Washburn X-40
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Saving for new amp
Thanks for your replies, I'll check out the washburn now. Any others?

Also, does the washburn x10 have one of those floyd rose bridges, if so, I'm not really interested, as I've heard they're complicated.
Yes you're absolutely right floyd roses are incredibly complicated to restring, but you should find that they are only really found on guitars out of your price range, I've got a guitar with one on my lap right now and they do have really good uses for techniques you will pick up later but you definitely shouldn't buy one for your first guitar.
The X10, has a fulcrum trem this is very much like a fender or squier standard trem and doesn't over complicate the guitar in anyway but would give you a sense of what a trem does or can do.
Gear:
Washburn X-40 Pro
Washburn X-40
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Saving for new amp
Quote by HMTarnus
Yes you're absolutely right floyd roses are incredibly complicated to restring, but you should find that they are only really found on guitars out of your price range, I've got a guitar with one on my lap right now and they do have really good uses for techniques you will pick up later but you definitely shouldn't buy one for your first guitar.
The X10, has a fulcrum trem this is very much like a fender or squier standard trem and doesn't over complicate the guitar in anyway but would give you a sense of what a trem does or can do.

Thanks for your help, also, do you think it is better than the squier affinity telecaster? For if so, I'll definately get it.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Thanks for your help, also, do you think it is better than the squier affinity telecaster? For if so, I'll definately get it.

In a word yes.
I can't really speak in favour of the quality of the affinity series, although you're hardly getting the most amazing, perfect, mastercrafted hand made guitar in your price range, you do expect some level of quality to it.
Unlike my first guitar, which was made out of plastic. Oh the humiliation...
Gear:
Washburn X-40 Pro
Washburn X-40
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Saving for new amp
Quote by HMTarnus
In a word yes.
I can't really speak in favour of the quality of the affinity series, although you're hardly getting the most amazing, perfect, mastercrafted hand made guitar in your price range, you do expect some level of quality to it.
Unlike my first guitar, which was made out of plastic. Oh the humiliation...

Ah, thanks for all your help, I'll get the Washburn x10. Oh, that last sentance, you weren't talking about the washburn were you XD
dont do it guitarists are 10 a penny. take up keyboard..you become much more in demand.
Quote by Mezzo4te
dont do it guitarists are 10 a penny. take up keyboard..you become much more in demand.

ha, i'll be playing guitar as i find it enjoyable