Okay, I'm planning my second mod, this time on an old Epiphone Les Paul. However, I really want this build to be a good, playable guitar, so I think it'd be best for me to ask my questions now rather then later.

My plan is this: Strip down all the old hardware, electronics, everything, and scrap them. Sand of the old finish and sand it up to like 1200 grit. Then apply my finish, and put on all my old hardware/electronics. Sounds good, right?

Well, here's my questions. First, for my finish, I really want to try something different. I want to basically cover the whole guitar in newspapers, then give it a really shiny, almost mirrored finish. I've honestly got no idea how to go about doing this. If I had to guess, I'd say I just lay the newspaper on piece by piece on the guitar, then clear coat over it?? And then buy some super-shiny lacquer. What would be the best way to do this??

Second question is this. The guitar has room for one toggle switch, one tone knob, one volume knob, and 2 humbuckers. The pickups I'm going to buy each have four wires coming off of them. I can't find a wiring diagram for this. Help??

Last question is a long one. After this wall of text, I'm going to link to all the parts I will be buying. If any kind person would like to go through and make sure everything will work and is good, and that I'm not forgetting anything, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. Pots
2. Jack Plate With Jack
3. Drop Tone Caps
4. Toggle Switch
5. Knobs
6. Locking Tuners
7. Locking Roller Bridge
8. Tailpiece
9. Strap Locks
10. Neck Plate
11. Pickup Rings
12. Pickups
13. Truss Rod Cover
14. Toggle Switch Cover
15. Nut (#1869)
16. Clear Gloss Finish
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/Top Boost
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
i was going to do that with an eiphone les paul about 2 years ago!!!

sanded it down and everything had all the stuff ready, then it got left in the rain and got ruined... i was heartbroken.

please please please please tell me how this turns out im uber interested
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
It'd be funny if your guitar just burst into flames on the inside, destroying the newspaper, after you coated it. But that's pretty impossible.
Quote by elliott FTW
i was going to do that with an eiphone les paul about 2 years ago!!!

sanded it down and everything had all the stuff ready, then it got left in the rain and got ruined... i was heartbroken.

please please please please tell me how this turns out im uber interested

Yeah I'm planning on keeping this post updated so no problems there. And as for the guitar catching fire...... why?
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
You left out your newspaper that will be used, you need good articles in there. Try scientists discover rare bat boy. Personal favorite.
Yeah....no. I was thinking more along the lines of the newspaper that's thrown on my front lawn the day I start doing the finish.

Update: I was looking around and stumbled upon this. Will it work??

(Invalid img)

2nd Edit: What does that C mean on the tone knob? Is that where I put a drop cap?
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Last edited by ErikShep at Nov 30, 2008,
Subscribed! I love EPI mods!
I've recently done something similar on my set neck epi LP - i'm not sure whteher this lot applies to your actual guitar - but its worth checking - aplogies, the last thing I want to do is piss on your chips!!

The nut you have looks to small - mine is something like 43x9x6 mm - also, are you sure of the fretboard radius? A gibby LP is normally 12" and an EPI LP is normally 14"

The bridge and tailpiece - they may have to be metric if made outside the U.S - check with them that it will fit into your existing holes unless you are happy to do the filling and redrilling. Ideally, you want the bridge saddles to match your fingerboard radius if pre-slotted etc

Noload tone pots - I modded my existing pots to be no load - otherwise known as the nail varnish mod. I have not tried them at 1meg, but at 500k and with burstbucker pickups I didn't really notice too much of a difference/think it was worth it. Also, since I have modded mine LP - I hardly ever have any controls set to 10 anyway. The look interesting though - depending on how you get on with them - I may try them in my SG.

The rest of the kit looks fine to me - but I don't fix guitars for a living
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat

Thanks for this. Not even I could mess up using that thing.

Quote by cuthbertg
Subscribed! I love EPI mods!
I've recently done something similar on my set neck epi LP - i'm not sure whteher this lot applies to your actual guitar - but its worth checking - aplogies, the last thing I want to do is piss on your chips!!

The nut you have looks to small - mine is something like 43x9x6 mm - also, are you sure of the fretboard radius? A gibby LP is normally 12" and an EPI LP is normally 14"

The bridge and tailpiece - they may have to be metric if made outside the U.S - check with them that it will fit into your existing holes unless you are happy to do the filling and redrilling. Ideally, you want the bridge saddles to match your fingerboard radius if pre-slotted etc

Noload tone pots - I modded my existing pots to be no load - otherwise known as the nail varnish mod. I have not tried them at 1meg, but at 500k and with burstbucker pickups I didn't really notice too much of a difference/think it was worth it. Also, since I have modded mine LP - I hardly ever have any controls set to 10 anyway. The look interesting though - depending on how you get on with them - I may try them in my SG.

The rest of the kit looks fine to me - but I don't fix guitars for a living

Thanks for the interest. So in short, what you are saying is make sure the bridge and tail piece match up to the current holes, then make sure the nut lines up with the bridge saddles? If so, thanks, I'll get right on that.

Quote by chip46
All the parts look good to me. Just one question...why 1 meg pots and not 500k? Just personal preference for the tone you want?

Curiosity mostly. I've used single coil guitars with 250k and 500k, both of which I hate, but with 500k the annoying hum is slightly more tolerable. I figured the same principle would apply to humbuckers with 500k/1meg pots. Oh, and nice choice of distortion pedal.
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
Quote by ErikShep

Thanks for the interest. So in short, what you are saying is make sure the bridge and tail piece match up to the current holes, then make sure the nut lines up with the bridge saddles? If so, thanks, I'll get right on that..

No worries, reading that first sentance back does read like Stimpy wetting his knickers - didn't mean to be so gushy

But yeah, pretty much. Making sure your bridge and tailpiece will fit your current post holes will make life a lot easier.

for the nut, the best thing to do is remove the old one and measure it (I use digital calipers I got off ebay, they're really handy + more accurate than my eyesight and a ruler).
The nut needs to be a really good/exact fit against all of the surfaces it contacts with. If you look at yours, you may find that it sits in a grove so that it does not slip back and forward - you need your new nut to fit that groove.

And then, the bit about the bridge saddles and the nut lining up. Just to clarify a bit, if you notice the convex radius curve of your fretboard, well you need to replicate that on your nut and the bridge - this way, when you adjust the action on the bridge all of the strings will be where they should be in terms of distance from the top of the frets and mean that when you lower the action, you wont get either the middle two strings or the outside two strings from hitting the frets causing buzz too early.

Quote by ErikShep

Curiosity mostly. I've used single coil guitars with 250k and 500k, both of which I hate, but with 500k the annoying hum is slightly more tolerable. I figured the same principle would apply to humbuckers with 500k/1meg pots. Oh, and nice choice of distortion pedal.

Humbuckers will be less noisy than single coils anyway cosw that's what they do. I wouldn't mind trying 1mg pots myself, but i'm not too sure if they are going to do what you want to do here.

I dunno, just stabbing, electronics is a major hole in my working life and somebody please correct me, but if single coils produce less output than a humbucker and therefore a singlecoil uses 250 and humbuckers use 500k, then are 1meg pots really for really high output/active pickups?????

EDIT: still thinking out loud - cos the 1meg of resistance is produced when you turn the pot right down, ie 0, you only need 500k to turn down the averge 'bucker so with a 1mg arent you just REALLY turning that sucker down?

It sucks that I don't know this stuff
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Last edited by cuthbertg at Nov 30, 2008,
Ok the higher value a pot is the brighter it is. Single coils use 250k to make them less bright, Humbuckers use 500k to brighten them up. 1meg pots are for really muddy pickups.

Active pickups use 25k pots to dampen the sound.

dont quote me though, I might be wrong.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
Ok the higher value a pot is the brighter it is. Single coils use 250k to make them less bright, Humbuckers use 500k to brighten them up. 1meg pots are for really muddy pickups.

Active pickups use 25k pots to dampen the sound.

dont quote me though, I might be wrong.

yup, that makes sense. On the plus side, if that is true, then my buckers are fine and i don't need to try 1mg pots
Well I don't know. They're cheap, I can just replace them with 500k pots if it doesn't turn out well. And thanks for the info about the nut. Maybe I'll just keep the cheap plastic one then. I'll have to think about this....
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer
I'm assuming the TS's Epiphone is a bolt on as he's buying a neck plate

Oh and don't chuck that hardware! You might need it later on. Trust me.
Hey dude, since you are doing a major thing here, want enter into the 100 GBP competition?

Follow my sig for more info.

Sounds like this will awesome either way man.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I would put a Bigsby on but that's just me, might put one on my epi after I change the pups
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by LeviMan_2001
don't chuck the hardware! give it to meee! seriously, i'll pay shipping.

Ah, of course I wouldn't just chuck it. I have a spiffy little box in my room full of all of the leftover equipment from my mods. Like 12 different tuners, a tail piece and stop bar, an old fender tremolo, 5 knobs, 5 pickups, and a punch more junk. I keep all my guitar stuff. I guess I'm a bit of a pack-rat.

Quote by thegrungyhippie
I'm assuming the TS's Epiphone is a bolt on as he's buying a neck plate

Oh and don't chuck that hardware! You might need it later on. Trust me.

Yep, it's a bolt on. Sorry if I forgot to mention that.

Quote by Øttər
Hey dude, since you are doing a major thing here, want enter into the 100 GBP competition?

Follow my sig for more info.

Sounds like this will awesome either way man.

I was under the impression that the 100 GBP competition is for builds, and this is a mod. Also, I'm not to sure of the deadline...I'm planning on finishing this before March of next year, but things could change. And also, I believe I would be going slightly over the preset budget. I think I'm spending about $250 on this.

Quote by LP51122
I would put a Bigsby on but that's just me, might put one on my epi after I change the pups

Bigsby's are expensive. And I don't think they'd fit in the existing holes at all, would they? Also, if you couldn't tell from the hardware and stuff I selected, the aim of this thing is more for crunchy, powerful rhythm work. I only ever need a tremolo when I play lead.
Amps:
Crate Vintage Club 50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
MXR 10 Band Equalizer