Poll Options
View poll results: ?????
Notation
23 47%
TABS
26 53%
Voters: 49.
Well it depends on whos writing them.

Tabs are mostly written by ear while notation is usually used when writing your own song.

so id have to say notation in most cases.
notation except for things like complicated tapping runs, bends, use of the whammy bar, different types of harmonics, etc; things that are unique to guitarplaying
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Tabs for sure. Notation shows you what to play but tabs show you how to play.
Tabs tell you what to play, notation gives you a more ambiguous instruction the what, but almost always an exact instruction for the when.

In other words, tabs tell you exactly what to fret, but notation only tells you what note(s) to play and when.

I would say that all the interesting little guitar articulations can be accurately represented on both standard notation and tab.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
There's nothing to discuss here - notation contains far much more information, anyone who thinks otherwise simply doesn't understand standard musical notation. It's not a matter of opinion, it's the facts...if you disagree ask yourself why standard notation is good enough for every other musical instrument on the planet.

also reported, no VS threads - which is what this essentially is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
There's nothing to discuss here - notation contains far much more information, anyone who thinks otherwise simply doesn't understand standard musical notation. It's not a matter of opinion, it's the facts...if you disagree ask yourself why standard notation is good enough for every other musical instrument on the planet.

If you took the time to read you would know that this isn't a VS thread.

If you read the title is says which is MORE ACCURATE not which is better.
tabs are better only when it comes to guitar because when you just look at notation you wouldn't really know what fret to play because there are many frets on different strings with the same exact note. tabs tell you exactly what to play on the guitar
Use both together, tabs to see what, where, and how, use the notation to see what kind of notes they are (quarter, eighth, sixteenth, etc.)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by ironman1478
tabs are better only when it comes to guitar because when you just look at notation you wouldn't really know what fret to play because there are many frets on different strings with the same exact note. tabs tell you exactly what to play on the guitar

... notes on the staff correspond to a particular pitch. D in a certain place on the staff is not notating any D on the guitar, but a particular one. Also, if you are talking about cases in which the only difference is fingering, then you don't need to know the "correct" one, you'll probably find it yourself because it will be the most logical and comfortable. Tabs are useful, but lazy.

Quote by Toker420

Ya got that backwards there, skippy.
no
Quote by steven seagull

since they don't have stuff like divebombs, whammy-squeals and sweep-picking.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
since they don't have stuff like divebombs, whammy-squeals and sweep-picking.

That's irelevant - don't kid yourself into thinking that we guitarists are "special" and that our instrument is far more complex or expressive than others because that simply isn't the case.

You can notate all those things far more accurately in notation than you can in tab.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by bucky_2300
... notes on the staff correspond to a particular pitch. D in a certain place on the staff is not notating any D on the guitar, but a particular one. Also, if you are talking about cases in which the only difference is fingering, then you don't need to know the "correct" one, you'll probably find it yourself because it will be the most logical and comfortable. Tabs are useful, but lazy.

but that exact same note does occur on more than one string and fret, and the same note on a dfferent string sound kinda different in a way...don't they?
Quote by Toker420

lol wut?
Notation is more accurate every time, it allows the person looking at it to understand the rhythm which each note should be played at. On Logic Pro for Mac you can combine the two so you can see exactly what to play, like so:

Notation gives much more accurate rhythm, though tabs give way to more expression and versatility (In my opinion).
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Notation, easily. Tabs don't usually have any information on note lengths, time signatures, etc.
Quote by NecroMaster
but that exact same note does occur on more than one string and fret, and the same note on a dfferent string sound kinda different in a way...don't they?

Hence what I said about fingering. Derp derp.
no
The mixture of both.

Although Tabs are becoming much more impressive, and musically accurate to the point where Tabs can replace Notation in all aspects.

However teh best I've seen is when you buy most music books you find both (notataion, then Tab written below it)

or various mixtures that I've seen.

Go back in history
Lute music was written out in Tablature, with notation above it.

Tabs tell you what string to play things on, not just the note (becuase there are many places you can get most notes)

So knowing what string can make positioning easier, and change the tone (which can be very important)

So a mixture
but as a general rule, Notation is more accurate due to people's laziness when writing tabs.

hope that helped!
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Tabs, if correct, show you exactly what is played.

Notation shows you the correct note, but not the correct fretting such as playing an E on the 12th fret on low e or 7th fret on A. The biggest advantage I see to notation is that you will learn the fretboard much better. You will have to know which notes are where to play them. With tab you're just following directions. Notation gives you a little more freedom, tells you the scales used in the song, which aids improvisation, and allows guitar to be more universal of an instrument.

If you're reading notation, chances are you're going to play what is most easily accessible, which tends to be what is written in tab form.

They both have their advantages.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Assuming the tabs are done perfectly (not wise) and the rythm and speed is already known, tabs are better because they tell you a specific way to play it.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
This depends on what one means by "tab". If there's no rhythm indication with a tab then, quite frankly, it's bugger all use unless you've got a recording of the piece in the first place.

Then again, for representation of pitch, notation does have "For Keyboard Player Use Only" written all over it crayon. Yes, there are other intruments with pitch ranges that fall nicely on one staff or another, but there are also plenty that sit in the "are you trying to save ink here, or what?" space between them.

I'd have to go with notation really, because, with the exception of where to play the note, it's got it all in there, even if six note chords do look like someone's been using the paper to swat an entire beehive to death.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.