To all the fingerpickers out there, I want to dedicate some time on thumb independence and I was hoping if you guys have some good exercises for it.

Thanks in advance.
-------0---------0------0-------0-----------3------3------3---------
-----1--------1-------1-------1-----------3------3------3-----------
--------------------0-----------------------------------0--------------
----------2------------------------------------0-----------------------
-3--------------------------3----------2----------------------2-------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Practice with a metronome as straight eights, sixteenths, etc. Whatever you need.

Notes on the A, D and G string hit with your thumb, B with the first finger and E with the middle finger.

I can't remember the name of this excersize, but it'll increase not only dexterity with the thumb but the speed of fingerpicking over all. It's some classical study, that's all I can remember, but it should definitely help.
alot of country where the thumb alternate bass notes from E to A string - nice banjo:P
if you like fratellis - whistle for the choir the chords alternate bass (at least the way i play it)
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Quote by skizoman05
alot of country where the thumb alternate bass notes from E to A string - nice banjo:P
if you like fratellis - whistle for the choir the chords alternate bass (at least the way i play it)

I've tried some country music but some rhythms with the thumb are really hard and I can't keep up, so I was looking for something more simple.
yeah country gets pretty tough - what you can do is make up your own song - take a few chords (C, G, etc w/e you like where the root note is on the a string) and switch the bass note from a string to e string - it doesnt have to sound pretty but it did me alot of good - switching from chord to chord AND switching the string my thumb hits
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.