Page 1 of 2
Sup people..

So, share your bass tips here.. What is that nugget someone told you once that you've never forgotten? Tutor told you a good tip? Share it with us!

I've recently found a really good way of training your ear so you can play what is in your head better..

You take any scale and play the root note, then instead of playing the 2nd degree, you sing it out loud and see how close you come. then play the root again and play the 3rd and sing that. carry on until you get to the octave and come back down. This is really helping me at the moment..

Enjoy!
dont buy a gibson.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Well as a part time funk-bassist I always kept Bootsy's advice "Keep It On The One". Also that playing major, minor and pentatonic scales up and down is a good way of building finger dexterity (in both hands) and learning the scales fluently.
"before you even think about plucking a note, you better be listening to every other instrument around you" words of wisdom from a very close friend of mine

"the 6th and 4th are underused and add great colour to a line" very good jazz musician named matt sage

"stop stop stop, you're doing it wrong" my bass teacher

mine to add to the list "tune your damn bass before you get on stage"
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Nov 30, 2008,
Put flats on your fretless! I've had mine for two days with Fender rounds and there are marks already.
Quote by aaciseric
Well as a part time funk-bassist I always kept Bootsy's advice "Keep It On The One". Also that playing major, minor and pentatonic scales up and down is a good way of building finger dexterity (in both hands) and learning the scales fluently.

Count Funkula!

My favorite advice comes from Mike Gordon, Phish's Bassist who got it from Phil Lesh, Grateful Dead's bassist. Anyway here it is, If you start high, then go low then return to high, you can get a more powerful groove. Im sure its not an exact quote but you should get the idea.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
1) Don't just learn bass- learn about the other instruments around you. Music isn't about a bunch of instruments playing together- it's about them working together.

2) Never limit yourself- get as many techniques under your belt as you can, from as many instruments as you can.

3) Listen to things outside your comfort zone, it will do wonders for your playing.

4) Listen to vocal lines- it will give you great ideas about melody and phrasing

5) When playing a tapping piece, form a chord with the fretting hand, and tap a melody with the plucking hand- instead of pulling off to the open all the time, you're pulling off to a more fitting note, which helps bulk the piece up, I find.

6) MORE COWBELL

7) You can learn from everyone- not just people better than you, but people below your skill level too.
Quote by Applehead
You take any scale and play the root note, then instead of playing the 2nd degree, you sing it out loud and see how close you come. then play the root again and play the 3rd and sing that. carry on until you get to the octave and come back down. This is really helping me at the moment..

Good way to practice your singing too! My frontman can pick out any part of a scale from any root note. Lower 5th vocal harmonies sound so awesome.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Tune up relative to yourself by getting the harmonic of the 7th fret and the harmonic of the 5th fret of the string below exactly in tune. So from 2 distinct waves you get one clear wave. Hearing it would probably be of more use than words.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
good thread idea!

1. Buy a good thick strap and use it always. A good strap will help your back and your playing since it frees up your fretting hand to do the fretting and not holding up the bass.

2. Practice with a metronome even if its just scales. Playing the right notes is half of the equation; being in the pocket is equally important.

3. Patience is key when learning. No one played up to speed or at a high level out of the womb. It takes effort and diligence. Music is not instant coffee.

4. Play with people better than you and not as good as you are. You will learn from both.

5. Free your mind and your ass will follow. Listen to all sorts of music.

6. Play with confidence.

7. Keep loose and relaxed when you play. It makes playing so much easier and efficient.

8. Learn to listen for the bass drum in songs--95% of the time you will be playing a note when the drummer kicks the bass. The ride and the hi-hat are also rhythmic clues that you need to key on. Your drummer is your partner in the rhythm nation--lock with them and you will be invincible. How ever don't fight for control of the rhythm line--when they do fills and runs, its not your time to shine but to lay back. The same holds for the opposite.
Another tuning tip, always tune up to the note rather than down to it, it stays in tune better that way.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
6) MORE COWBELL

Sorry for the dumbass question, but I never got that joke. Can someone explain please?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Sorry for the dumbass question, but I never got that joke. Can someone explain please?

i think it's about the sketch about Blue Oyster Cult on Saturday Night Live.
Quote by nicf
don't buy a Beringer!!!

i learned this the hard way
this is a pretty damm good thread btw
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Nov 30, 2008,
Rap is music, anyone who says differently doesn't deserve the music they play. Music is an art, not a rule-based society. Also, remember that no matter how good that fill sounds to you, it might not actually fit.
Siggity-sig-sig-sig.
Just because other people have a knack for a certain style or technique or find it easy, doesn't mean you will. It also goes the other way. Don't judge other players difficulties or challenges.

5. Free your mind and your ass will follow

Good quote, great movie.
1) always be ready for a challenge. if you only stick to what you know you can do, you won't learn.
2) type one handed. you fret better.
3) learn proper technique. life becomes easy.
4) learn to improvise. you suddenly will be able to play any song.
5) jam with a drummer. it makes you much better.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The best advice I've ever gotten as a bassist is to play with as many drummers as you can. Play with drummers that play different genres than you, play with drummers that are above your technical range and below it. The drum and bass relationship is quite possibly the most important in modern music. If you become able to play with ANY drummer you come across you will sound good and in turn your band will sound good.
Quote by the humanity
1) always be ready for a challenge. if you only stick to what you know you can do, you won't learn.
2) type one handed. you fret better.
3) learn proper technique. life becomes easy.
4) learn to improvise. you suddenly will be able to play any song.
5) jam with a drummer. it makes you much better.

Care to go into that one a bit more?
Learn other instruments; nothign is better for your bass playing ability than to understand how another instrument contributes to the music you play (and/or listen to).

Learn how to play the songs by bassists you idolise; it gives you something to work towards and you're allowed to want their babies.

Never insult another bassist who uses a pick or just plays rootnotes on an expensive bass. Instead appreciate how that contributes to the sound of the music they play.

Play with feel, even root notes sound better than way

Never ever ever swing your bass around your body without straplocks.

Never ever ever say 'I love how I barely ever break a string' because the moment you do your E string will snap and whip across your face and will cut you very very badly. I learned that one the hard way.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Felkara

Never ever ever say 'I love how I barely ever break a string' because the moment you do your E string will snap and whip across your face and will cut you very very badly. I learned that one the hard way.

heh, I broke my first string last week, I've had them for almost a year

Advice: Learn to DT! (Double Thumb) It is saweet

And..don't get active EQ if you only have one bass!
Last edited by _Stone_ at Nov 30, 2008,
only walk on the ceiling if your basses name starts with the letter ">" then instead of strings, use a well thought out ham.

which means i agree with Copius...or whoever the dude above me is
Try adding more delay.
Quote by aaciseric
Care to go into that one a bit more?

use one hand, and using all the fingers, type. just move hand position... type like you're playing, not like you're typing.

this improves your stretch and precision while fretting, thus improving your fretting.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by telecastrmastr
only walk on the ceiling if your basses name starts with the letter ">" then instead of strings, use a well thought out ham.

Learn to move your right hand around. You'd be amazed at the variety of tones you can get just by plucking at different locations. There's a sweet spot right over where the bridge pup usually is that really does it for me.

That same sweet spot is very helpful in making an acoustic bass louder. I don't know the mechanics of it well enough to explain, but it helps.

Learn to use your EQ. Do it. Now. Soundmen will love you.
To learn your eq: Set all the knobs to zero (flat works better with a graphic eq), pick a knob, and boost the crap out of it. Listen to what it sounds like, and remember that. Repeat with the rest. Now that you know what they all sound like and what sort of tone you're adding/killing, you can now mix n' mach to get the sound you want instead of just aimlessly fiddling with knobs.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by SinnerTim
Just because other people have a knack for a certain style or technique or find it easy, doesn't mean you will. It also goes the other way. Don't judge other players difficulties or challenges.

Good quote, great movie.

Free your mind and your ass will follow is a Funkadlic album most importantly.
The only thing I can think of is the one thats old as dirt: "practice makes perfect". Though I still dont think its possible to perfect anything.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
"slapping has its place, but right now its not here" that was my instructor, he stresses the importance of knowing when to play what style. I made the mistake of doing alot of funk slap at a little jazz cafe, and only succeded in making myself look like an ass.
Selfish musicians rarely prosper:

Your first duty as a bassist (or a player of any instrument) is to your audience and the music as a whole. If you can have fun and play with flair while you do that, kudos to you.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Don't play out of the box or different. Play what people expect of you and only what's already been done. I've wasted 3 years of bass playing music and bass the way me and my drummer envisioned and it's gotten us no where. No one wants to hear "different".
-don't watch spinal tap before going on stage LOL
-always make sure your chord is pluged in to your amp.

seriously:
-your drummer is your best friend.
-know your place in the band but also know that there are no rules in music.
- (the greatist advice i've ever been given, if you are in a band)
"it's not what YOU want, it's what WE need."

-practice
-practice
-practice
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Don't play out of the box or different. Play what people expect of you and only what's already been done. I've wasted 3 years of bass playing music and bass the way me and my drummer envisioned and it's gotten us no where. No one wants to hear "different".

To correct this, don't play out of the box until you can play in the box well. Don't break rules until you have mastered playing in them. Playing new stuff is wanted. You just need to be really good to pull it off.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

God Bales, that is the most depressing thing I've read in a while
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

eh. I'd say play what you feel like 3/4 of the time, just kick it and copycat the other 1/4.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Chin up Jazzy! All this means is that you haven't found the right people to play to. Or what you were playing was crap.

But because your advice is useful and often funny at the same time, lets go with the former.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Page 1 of 2