I currently have an Encore Les Paul copy, that I have had for the past two years. I'm buying a Telecaster of some description soon, but that is irrelevant. When I get this however, I am looking to 'do up' my LP.

Now, I'm a total novice on this subject, so be nice with your replies...

What pickups would be best to replace the not-so-good ones that came with this (I think they're humbuckers)?
I'm not looking for a brutal metal sound, so please don't recommend any that give that. I really want a nice clean sound. I don't know any prices of pickups, so I have no budget as of yet.

Thanks.
-

I've never heard of Encore so I'm assuming it's an inexpensive brand of guitar. Assuming that, there are humbuckers from suppliers that won't be too expensive for your guitar. EMG I think sells some passives that are like 30-40 USD each that would be decent quality.
Moving on.....
What amp are you running this guitar through and what kind of clean sound are you looking for?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm not bothered about matching the quality of the guitar, KenG, I'm trying to improve it, so decent quality isn't really what I want. I want good quality, but without being too expensive.

7string, please could you go into more detail?

Edit:

I'll be running through a Line 6 Spider III (I know, I know...)

And I don't really care what clean sound, I won't be playing this too often, It's just a project.
-

Last edited by Aléx at Nov 30, 2008,
To get an encore to sound good, you'd have to spend more on pickups than the guitar is worth. Use the money on your new Tele.
Yeah, I don't really mind, it was bought for like £80.

I just wanted to experiment with a guitar that isn't really worth anything.
-

Quote by Gargan
To get an encore to sound good, you'd have to spend more on pickups than the guitar is worth. Use the money on a new amp

fixed.

Honestly, you won't hear any difference in tone getting new pickups - the tele will sound different however, because of the different type of pickups.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Okay, so how will I hear a difference in tone, without buying a new amp?
And what do pickups actually do, if not change tone?
-

Quote by Aléx

The amp is the key, a low-end amp like the spider will not respond to the change in tone that new pickups will bring so you won't hear it. Higher-end amps are much more responsive to changes in tone so you'll hear the difference in pickups.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Aléx

i worded it a bit wrong: with most modelling amps such as the line 6 spider, you won't really notice any difference in tone if you replace the pickups as the modelling system kind of covers up the subtle differences making all humbucker equipped guitars sound the same and all single coil equipped guitars sound the same - its difficult to explain but it applies to pretty much all cheap amps, especially cheap modelling amps.

with a more high end amp you will hear a difference and an improvement, however.

edit: zaphod summed it up better.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Alright, thanks for the info.

So, if my current pickups sound absolutely terrible, then upgrading them whatsoever will be a useless exercise?

Edit:

If this is the case, what amp would you recommend I buy to best enhance the tele?
-

Quote by Aléx
Alright, thanks for the info.

So, if my current pickups sound absolutely terrible, then upgrading them whatsoever will be a useless exercise?

Edit:

If this is the case, what amp would you recommend I buy to best enhance the tele?

Hugely depends on your budget and the sound you're going for, what kind of tone do you want?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well, I really want an amp with the most versatility possible, my original reasoning for the Spider.
I don't want to buy an amp simply because it will give me one tone, to be honest.
-

Quote by Aléx
Well, I really want an amp with the most versatility possible, my original reasoning for the Spider.
I don't want to buy an amp simply because it will give me one tone, to be honest.

Well I've heard good things about the Vox Valvetronix series but if you want a really resposive modelling amp you'll need to spend a LOT of money. Like Line6 Vetta amounts of money.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.