My brother caught a yabby today and I decided to keep it as a pet so he doesn’t eat it. As I wasn't expecting to have one I have no idea what to feed it or anything atm he's just in a big plastic box half filled with water with a few rocks for shelter but will buy something more suitable later. It's only a baby and is very cute IMO but yeah not sure..What to feed it, what to keep it in or anything. Any help is much appreciated I seriously have no idea what to do with this thing but I'm attached to it now.

(A yabby is a crayfish, and it's like a small lobster.)

It's name is bubbles ..and i don't know what sex it is.
Sorry in advanced for bad grammar and spelling as I’m tired.
pics or it didnt happen...

feed it seawedd or wiki it.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah, pics. Also, wikipedia and google sure can help.

What I want to know is: Can you train it to fight?

Guillotine is an effective move to be taught.
Quote by a6l6e6x1
yabby

what a amazing name

what i shall call my child i think

the common name has nothing on the scientific name, Cherax destructor
from daylight...
...into darkness
Bubbles =]
Also as desprate attempt fed it only thing I have in my house atm which is potatoe which is what you can see scatterd around the tank. Unsuprisingly it hasn't eaten any of it.
Attachments:
Bubbles.jpg
He looks like a scorpion o_O
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
Quote by divid3d

Quote by wikipedia, the totally gay encyclopedia
Yabbies are nocturnal detritivores, feeding primarily on algae and plant remains, but also opportunistically feeding on any fish or animal remains they encounter.

Hope this helps.
I actually think it may be dead but im too scared it will pinch me to touch it. lol
No worries, it moved I will try feeding it leaves thanks lol. Will probably ask pet store in the morning as its 2.12am here. Gash have exams tommorow.
Quote by IDuckLlamas
No worries, it moved I will try feeding it leaves thanks lol. Will probably ask pet store in the morning as its 2.12am here. Gash have exams tommorow.

they feed on detritus. that means, not fresh leaves, but plant material that is breaking down. you'd probably have better luck feeding it fish/meat of some description than random leaves.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by Orbit91
You feed Yabby spuds.

Yabby evolved!

*reads address of quoted pic*

negro!

Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
i believe negro is the spanish word for black?

pokemon black it may be??? hmmmmmm??

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
wut?

"You will feed your crayfish protein in the form of dry cat food that sinks in water. Don't worry if the crayfish don't eat for a week or two; they will eat when hungry. Always move the crayfish out of their home tray and into a basin with 3–4 cm of water to feed them the dry cat food. Put in one piece of cat food per crayfish. Leave them there for about 1/2 hour. (If they don't eat, they aren't hungry.) Then return them to their home tray, without any of the cat food. The other food source that is always available is the Elodea that stays with the crayfish in their home trays."

http://lawrencehallofscience.org/foss/fossweb/teachers/materials/plantanimal/crayfish.html
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by divid3d

oh my god thats ****ING AWESOME!!
btw threadstarter, yabbies like burrowing in mud. it might be a good idea to try and make its habitat as close to 'home' as possible.

tbh though i think you should release it into a dam because you obviously have no idea what you're doing.
from daylight...
...into darkness
I use to have a crayfish.
I fed it sliced ham.
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine