Anybody here play the piano? I'm trying to learn moonlight sonata but I'm having real difficulty with playing the octaves because I have such small hands, anyone got any advice?
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Oooh I could play that like a couple o' months ago.
Not played piano/keyboard for 6 months now though...

Just practise, and keep on stretching your fingers.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
move your hands up towards the black keys more

so instead of playing with hands just on white keys.. slide them up so they reach more towards the top of the black keys
ya you just have to adapt to the stretch
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
ive played for 12 years and had trouble with it because of smaller hands as well. How many steps away from the octave are you?
You must have really tiny hands- mine are small and I can play ninths.

Anyway, if you can't reach the octave intervals, I remember most of the first movement uses a lot of sustain pedal, so you should be able to just arpeggiate the chords.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I cant even contemplate ninths haha I've been playing 4 years but with my hands fully stretched out as far as they can go my left hand is 7 keys apart fairly comfortably from thumb to pinky but my right hand is 6 at a push, Yes I do have very very small hands haha

I had a ct repair and ganglion removal done on my right hand last may and there is some keloid from the centre of my palm to about 2 inches down my wrist which restricts the amount of movement and reach from thumb to pinky as well, obviously this makes playing the piano a little more difficult.

I'm sure there must be some exercises that can help.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Jeez, i never thought I had that bigger stretch, but I can reach 11th, 12th in a crappy position.
But yeah, just keep trying.
hello
There isn't really a magic secret. Your hands will get stronger and more flexible with practice.

For a song like Moonlight Sonata, the sustain pedal should make it relatively easy to arpeggiate, as rabidguitarist already noted. When you arpeggiate further than you can reach, just let your hand smoothly glide over the keys while your fingers are hitting their notes. A gentle sweeping motion back and forth will give you more range with minimal inhibitions.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD