And I need to decide what to get. Currently it's basically down to a few pedals or fixing up my old strat with some good pick ups, tuners, decent set up, etc.

Now, for the Strat I know what I'd get (Rockmonkeyguitar Single Coils + The Tuners a tech I know sets me up with.)

But for Pedals I'm a little unsure what I want to get.

I've been borrowing a Ibanez Tubescreamer 9 and a Marshall Jackhammer from my cousin, and I'm planning to return them.

I'm really happy with the sound of the TS-9 so I'll probably be getting one of them. (I'm mainly a Blues guitarist, and with this my Blues Jr and a Les Paul like guitar, I can get almost any blues tone I want.)

As for the Jackhammer, while I'm pretty happy with it, it sounds pretty scooped.

So I'd like a pedal to do some harder rock tones.

I've also been thinking of getting a fuzz. So a Dunlop Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, seems pretty sweet.

http://www.thomann.de/se/dunlop_dallas_arbiter_fuzz_face.htm

Something that runs pretty well through a SS/Valvetronix amp (With only a Pre Amp or Powertube) as this is what I have to use for Rock Band practise. (A Randall of some kind)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Try to keep the summed price under 500$ tho.
(That's not a firmly placed budget, I'm getting like a 150$ straight after Christmass so I can spend those before hand
A proco rat or a Dist + would be pretty good for hard rock tones. They're kind of an acquired taste so give them a try.

For you though, I'd suggest something like a fulldrive 2 or a the fulltone gt500. The FD2 does the transparent tubescreamer very well and has enough gain on tap for VH type stuff. The gt500 is a dist + OD and does the tubescreamer thing on the OD channel and has plenty of gain on tap on the dist channel. Definitely worth a look these two are.

Edit: The fulltone OCD would work well for everything too, very transparent with a fair amount of gain on tap, might not be enough for your definition of hard rock though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Nov 30, 2008,
The TS9 is a decent pedal, but if you wanted to spend a little bit more you should get the TS808. It's a more "musical" pedal in my opinion, it's a little less tone coloring. If you're good with a soldering iron you could modify the TS9 yourself as it's a fairly simple mod to do.

The Dallas Arbiter Fuzz is a little hard to use if you want more than one sound. It also doesn't clean up very well with the guitar's volume pot. By this, I mean that the control isn't very linear. On about 1-7 & 1/2 you get a pretty clean tone, then on 8 you suddenly jump to super fuzz. But it's a good pedal to use if you want real vintage fuzz sounds. It works especially well if you run a Tubescreamer after it to smooth things about a bit, that's what I do.

I'm unsure about the pedal for hard rock tones. There are so many different options. What kind of hard rock do you mean? Is there a certain band/player's tone you're going after when you say hard rock? But as a basis, you could look at a tube based overdrive/distortion pedal. Seymour Duncan makes a few as do lots of other companies that I can't think of right now. They're generall a good bet for just about any kind of drive that doesn't end in "core".

^^Listen to Kevin Saale, he knows whats up. The Fulltone pedals are great, they're a little different than the tubescreamers. Try both out and see whichever you like better.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by Kevin Saale
A proco rat or a Dist + would be pretty good for hard rock tones. They're kind of an acquired taste so give them a try.

For you though, I'd suggest something like a fulldrive 2 or a the fulltone gt500. The FD2 does the transparent tubescreamer very well and has enough gain on tap for VH type stuff. The gt500 is a dist + OD and does the tubescreamer thing on the OD channel and has plenty of gain on tap on the dist channel. Definitely worth a look these two are.

Edit: The fulltone OCD would work well for everything too, very transparent with a fair amount of gain on tap, might not be enough for your definition of hard rock though.

Well of all of these The OCD actually looks the best, for my needs. It has about enough gain on Tap for everything I play, aswell.

The others all seem a bit overkill, for my taste and type of playing.

Quote by VoodooCow229
The TS9 is a decent pedal, but if you wanted to spend a little bit more you should get the TS808. It's a more "musical" pedal in my opinion, it's a little less tone coloring. If you're good with a soldering iron you could modify the TS9 yourself as it's a fairly simple mod to do.

The Dallas Arbiter Fuzz is a little hard to use if you want more than one sound. It also doesn't clean up very well with the guitar's volume pot. By this, I mean that the control isn't very linear. On about 1-7 & 1/2 you get a pretty clean tone, then on 8 you suddenly jump to super fuzz. But it's a good pedal to use if you want real vintage fuzz sounds. It works especially well if you run a Tubescreamer after it to smooth things about a bit, that's what I do.

I'm unsure about the pedal for hard rock tones. There are so many different options. What kind of hard rock do you mean? Is there a certain band/player's tone you're going after when you say hard rock? But as a basis, you could look at a tube based overdrive/distortion pedal. Seymour Duncan makes a few as do lots of other companies that I can't think of right now. They're generall a good bet for just about any kind of drive that doesn't end in "core".

^^Listen to Kevin Saale, he knows whats up. The Fulltone pedals are great, they're a little different than the tubescreamers. Try both out and see whichever you like better.

Well, I've looked at the 808, but I prefer the sound of the TS9, I enjoy the Colouring. I use it when I need to really kick in a hot blues solo, to get things cooking. On my Guitar I've got a knob called "Bass Contour" which gives me enough of a Volume boost, and in addition fattens up my tone as well as adding a little more overdrive.
This does the job for solos, mainly, but the Tubescreamer is what brings it all home if I need a little more.

As for the Fuzz, the whole little fuzz to super fuzz, kinda turns me off it. I like being able to tweak quite a bit and having that jump doesn't sound like it'll work for me...

As for what I mean with a Hard Rock tone, it's basically AC/DC and Velvet Revolver like gain levels. It all depends on the song, of course.