Hey again!

THE INFO:

Well, I recently went into a little music store to buy some strings. On my way out, I saw a Gibson Explorer on the wall, and decided to try it out.

Oh my gawd.

It played like a dream, and it was in mint condition. No fret buzz on the high strings, and it had a serial number and seems pretty real. Like the idiot I am, I didn't write the number down.

THE CATCH:

Normally, they would go for around $1100. Since I know the guy, he's only asking $700. Woohoo, right? I'm not so sure. How would I know if it was fake? What do I check for?

Also, any input on Explorers in general? Are all Gibson Explorer serial numbers similar? Feel like sharing yours for as an example?

Thankee, UG.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Gibsons have a serial numer and Made In U.S.A. on the back of the headstock. For that price it's either a faded series or used. The first number and the fifth number will tell you what year it is. EX= 068542672 would be an 04 model.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 30, 2008,
if it looks and feels like a gibson explorer, its real. Gibson knock-offs tend to be pretty bad, i wouldn't worry. Buy it, explorers are great rhythm guitars.
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
Quote by Wulphy
Hey again!

THE INFO:

Well, I recently went into a little music store to buy some strings. On my way out, I saw a Gibson Explorer on the wall, and decided to try it out.

Oh my gawd.

It played like a dream, and it was in mint condition. No fret buzz on the high strings, and it had a serial number and seems pretty real. Like the idiot I am, I didn't write the number down.

THE CATCH:

Normally, they would go for around $1100. Since I know the guy, he's only asking $700. Woohoo, right? I'm not so sure. How would I know if it was fake? What do I check for?

Also, any input on Explorers in general? Are all Gibson Explorer serial numbers similar? Feel like sharing yours for as an example?

Thankee, UG.
$700 isn't unusual for used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-EXPLORER-2006-EMGs-TONEPROS-BRIDGE_W0QQitemZ140283835843QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item140283835843&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Buy it, post pics, return it if it's fake, etc.

Last edited by Ippon at Nov 30, 2008,
If it plays wonderfully and sounds good and you like it then does it really matter?
Quote by Gyzmoo
If it plays wonderfully and sounds good and you like it then does it really matter?

Yeah. If it's Gibson, it'll hold it's value. If not, then if I decide to sell it later on it'll be a huge loss, instead of like a $50 one.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah