Hey guys I have an American History project at due in a couple months and I want to stay on top of things and have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. I want to take a handful of classic songs and show the progression of American music in the second half of the 20th century. I thought I'd go something like this, not the full song mind you, but the most memorable riffs from it.

Love Me Two Times
Voodoo Child
?
?
?
?
?

I'm looking for memorable riffs that don't require a band to be recognized
I see what youre trying to do but that topic is a bit broad don't you think? What about jazz, blues, hip-hop (even if you say it's not music, it is.) I think you should maybe change it to the progression of American Rock music maybe?
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
well heres what I can think up for the 70s from America (it was hard having to skip over every british band)

Schools Out - Alice Cooper
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
The Joker - Steve Miller
Slow Ride - Foghat
Low Rider - War
More Than A Feeling - Boston
Barracuda - Heart
We Are Family - Sister Sledge
you have to put some 80's hair metal in there, like def leppard, or poison, and of course towards the end Nirvana, and slowride really is a good one...
^but he wants American bands, not British bands

I agree with jpgilbert701: either make it American Rock history, or make it American Music history and include the likes of Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, to Kanye and T.I or whatnot.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
^^
Ye cause progression of music itself. As in how music as a whole evolved is european based.

Almost all of America's "original" music has it roots in the blues; Like blues, jazz (jazz being mix of blues and european influences), rock n roll, and today R&B. Hip hop being more of a culture with musical influences from everywhere on the planet (Big Band samples, Eastern like melody lines, latin rhythms, Classical styled string sections etc.)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
^^
Ye cause progression of music itself. As in how music as a whole evolved is european based.

Almost all of America's "original" music has it roots in the blues; Like blues, jazz (jazz being mix of blues and european influences), rock n roll, and today R&B. Hip hop being more of a culture with musical influences from everywhere on the planet (Big Band samples, Eastern like melody lines, latin rhythms, Classical styled string sections etc.)

Well, blues definatly played a big part, but many more influences came from other places. Africans aren't the only immigrants to America.

BTW, todays RnB has no blues in whatsoever.
I definitely know what ya'll are saying. I'd love to really do a total range of through and through American music but right now I'm unsure if the project is going to be Vietnam era or just the whole 20th century, I posted a little pre-emptively because I think this has alot of potential to be really cool if I could get some good transitions between the riffs, (my biggest concern) but I need to clarify before I pick them out and start trying to nail them down. Thanks for all the suggestions, especially seljer, I had totally forgotten superstition and I know SRV has a rendition I can work from. I'll let ya'll know when I have some more concrete details but I'm really really excited about this.