Is it possible for me to put an EMG 81 in my bridge position, an EMG single coil in the middle position, and EMG 60 in the neck? I dont know if this setup would work or not. I dont know how i would properly wire this, or where i would put the battery(ies.) I have also considered simply getting a new pickguard for the guitar with 2 humbucker cutouts, and not getting any single coil, therefore using the empty single coil slot under the pickguard as a battery reservoir.

I only ask these questions because i am trying to avoid having to get a new pickguard, as 2 humbucker pickguards for ibanez prestige RG's are hard to come by.
More than likely, there's plenty of room in the control cavity to stick a battery.

And yes, its possible to put EMG's in. They're incredibly easy to install as well.
well it is possible with mutiple batteries.you would have to have 2 if you use 2 hums and a single.the idea of using the middle pickup slot for a battery holder is a good idea and will work but like you said,those pickguards are hard to come by.
you only need 1 battery with emgs no matter how many pick ups u have going and it will fit the the control cavity
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
^Why would he need 2 batteries? He could use 2 if he wanted to do 18v(which I would recommend, btw), or for extended battery life, but he only needs 1. Even with 3 pickups, he'll still have plenty of battery time.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
^Why would he need 2 batteries? He could use 2 if he wanted to do 18v(which I would recommend, btw), or for extended battery life, but he only needs 1. Even with 3 pickups, he'll still have plenty of battery time.

I read on EMG's website that you cannot use a 5 way switch with EMG active pickups, it says that this will leave terminals 2 and 4 dead. whats the deal with that?
Quote by Buttley
I read on EMG's website that you cannot use a 5 way switch with EMG active pickups, it says that this will leave terminals 2 and 4 dead. whats the deal with that?

i'm assuming that means when using an HH setup ie. 81/85.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
why not just buy another guitar with the actives in it? it will prolly be about the same price as everything you need to convert an already great guitar to another active sounding guitar.(my opinion, sorry).
Quote by mikeyElite
i'm assuming that means when using an HH setup ie. 81/85.

This.

With an HH configuration, there are typically only 3 combinations(neck, bridge, both). I'd think you could use a 5 way with 2 EMG humbuckers if you were using coil tappable pups and wanted to do bridge, bridge tapped, neck, neck tapped, and both untapped.

With HSH, or any other 3 pickup configuration, you have bridge, bridge and middle, middle, middle and neck, and neck. Thats whats standard, anyway (I'd personally prefer to have a bridge and neck in there somewhere, I love that tone.)
Quote by jymellis
why not just buy another guitar with the actives in it? it will prolly be about the same price as everything you need to convert an already great guitar to another active sounding guitar.(my opinion, sorry).

because i already upgraded this guitar to DiMarzio D-Activator-X pickups, and they sound awesome at low volumes, but at high volumes forget it. They squeal like a pig, even with a boss NS-2 and my gain on my amp set to 5. I have EMG's in my other guitars and they never squeal, they just sound great.

Also, its only going to cost me around 200 bucks for this EMG deal. and its always been somwhat of a vision of mine to have an RG with 2 active humbuckers and an active single coil.
Quote by Buttley
because i already upgraded this guitar to DiMarzio D-Activator-X pickups, and they sound awesome at low volumes, but at high volumes forget it. They squeal like a pig, even with a boss NS-2 and my gain on my amp set to 5. I have EMG's in my other guitars and they never squeal, they just sound great.

Also, its only going to cost me around 200 bucks for this EMG deal. and its always been somwhat of a vision of mine to have an RG with 2 active humbuckers and an active single coil.

i just really like that guitar and prefer passive pups lol. is the pot cavity lined? that can lead to high volume noises.
Quote by jymellis
i just really like that guitar and prefer passive pups lol. is the pot cavity lined? that can lead to high volume noises.

im not really sure about that. i just got the pickups and installed them. I have the single coil disconnected though, it was having a wierd effect on the Bridge humbucker.

I hate guitars. haha.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
This.

With an HH configuration, there are typically only 3 combinations(neck, bridge, both). I'd think you could use a 5 way with 2 EMG humbuckers if you were using coil tappable pups and wanted to do bridge, bridge tapped, neck, neck tapped, and both untapped.

With HSH, or any other 3 pickup configuration, you have bridge, bridge and middle, middle, middle and neck, and neck. Thats whats standard, anyway (I'd personally prefer to have a bridge and neck in there somewhere, I love that tone.)

do you think that there would be any funny wiring business? or could i just wire the EMG's as i do any other H/S/H set?
Quote by Buttley
do you think that there would be any funny wiring business? or could i just wire the EMG's as i do any other H/S/H set?

You can easily just wire them normally, those are just options. And if I hadn't named them SYK would have popped in in a couple of minutes and done it instead
Quote by Buttley
im not really sure about that. i just got the pickups and installed them. I have the single coil disconnected though, it was having a wierd effect on the Bridge humbucker.

I hate guitars. haha.

did you resolder anything or just splice the new pups in? im not a single coil pup fan, i like the coil splitting of the 5 way to do that. also i prefer a little more wood on the front and the single kinda makes the middle of the guitar look messy.
Quote by jymellis
did you resolder anything or just splice the new pups in? im not a single coil pup fan, i like the coil splitting of the 5 way to do that. also i prefer a little more wood on the front and the single kinda makes the middle of the guitar look messy.

i took the old pups out, and soldered the new ones in, exactly as the old ones were.
Any suggestions for passive pups that wont squeal at high volumes, yet have good tight metal tone?
im wondering if they are out of phase from the single coil. that would be why they sound funny with the single activated. if it wasnt noisy at high volumes before and it is now i think maybe something was lost in translation during your rewiring. not a mistake you made but possibly and accident during soldering. are you sure no solder ran to another terminal? i know when i rewired my ibanez the schematic was incorrectly marked for neg and pos on my pickups!
Last edited by jymellis at Nov 30, 2008,
did you look you look at the schematic or trace it on your own? or did you just expect red to be hot and black to be neg?
Quote by jymellis
im wondering if they are out of phase from the single coil. that would be why they sound funny with the single activated. if it wasnt noisy at high volumes before and it is now i think maybe something was lost in translation during your rewiring. not a mistake you made but possibly and accident during soldering. are you sure no solder ran to another terminal? i know when i rewired my ibanez the schematic was incorrectly marked for neg and pos on my pickups!

i should probably just buy a new 5 way switch. even though i think ive cleanly soldered the pups, i may have slipped up somwhere along the way. plus the one terminal slides back and forth if i move it with my finger.
Quote by Buttley
i should probably just buy a new 5 way switch. even though i think ive cleanly soldered the pups, i may have slipped up somwhere along the way. plus the one terminal slides back and forth if i move it with my finger.

a loose terminal is never good. im not saying that is the cause of the problem but it cant help matters any lol. i would suggest a new 5 way and a fresh rewiring of your passives. but that is me. if your really wanting to go active it sounds like now may be the time!
Quote by jymellis
a loose terminal is never good. im not saying that is the cause of the problem but it cant help matters any lol. i would suggest a new 5 way and a fresh rewiring of your passives. but that is me. if your really wanting to go active it sounds like now may be the time!

i really love the sound of the D-Activator-X pups. But they squeal liek i said. Im willing to try a new 5 way and a fresh re-wiring, as it may save me some money. But if that doesnt work, ill probably buy a new pickguard, a 3 way switch, and get the EMG 81/60 set.
also when you rewire it try lowering the pickups a touch. they may be to high and picking up some unwanted vibrations from the strings. if it didnt make bad noises before id say its something in the switch (maybe got a little to hot during soldering causing the loosened terminal) or possibly you have the positive and negative switched causing them to be out of phase. the outside color of the wire means nothing if its not wired correctly. everything you have dome may be right but something is backwards from the factory (like my case). check the iby site and compare to your guitar.
How well shielded is the guitar? I would put some shielding tape or paint on the underside of the pickguard if it doesn't already have it, as well as along the inside of the cavity. It might help.

And yeah, you don't want those pickups too close to your strings. They're powerful enough where you can get the sound you want out of them with them lower in the body. Plus, having them too close to the strings will effect the vibration of the strings negatively.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores