Ok my friend who I will call susan is living with her dad, who shares custody on weekends with the mom. Her dad is making susan pay rent to live with him, if she misses rent she gets kicked out. She is 16. Is this legal at all? She is not doing well, I think I am the only one she told about this. Can a parent do this to a child?

P.S. to all those in Chicago area- Happy first real snow!
Probably can but it's still pretty unfair
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Hmmm I'm pretty sure by law if someone is paying rent you have to give them 30 days notice to kick them out, but I think she would have had to have signed a legal document saying such. She could always bust him for tax evasion?
This can't be right....
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
how much is the rent... call the cops for tax evasion...

also, since she's 16, shes a minor, and by my guess she isn't emancipated... sooo
child abuse? could probably get his rights to custody taken away
i think she could use that to be able to stop having to go to her dad. she can probably use that to have custody given only to her mom
It might not be strictly illegal but it's highly unethical and that guy needs a slap, failing the deliverence of said slap can't see just go live with her Mom full time?
I seriously doubt it's legal. aren't your parents required to pay for your food and shelter up to a certain age?
She works at officemax. She told me something else last night. She had gotten the most sales on Black Friday so for a reward at work they gave her a $200 camera for free. When she got home her dad demanded that she give it to him because he taught her how to sell. she did not hand it over, but still WTF
if her dad has custody of her then doesn't that mean that he is responsible for her, not she for herself?

also, what is the legal working age where she lives?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
i don't think you can be kicked out until youre at least 17 or 18
Quote by Stingray5
Hmmm I'm pretty sure by law if someone is paying rent you have to give them 30 days notice to kick them out, but I think she would have had to have signed a legal document saying such. She could always bust him for tax evasion?

tax evasion sounds good. thats how they brought down al capone. if it worked for capone, it will work on him too.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
nope......he's legally obligated to take care of her as she is a minor.....
my hovercraft is full of eels
Quote by Killedelphia19
how much is the rent... call the cops for tax evasion...

also, since she's 16, shes a minor, and by my guess she isn't emancipated... sooo
child abuse? could probably get his rights to custody taken away

What this dude said. If shes not emancipated then a parent or guardian must put a roof over their head no matter what. If she is emancipated then he can kick her out as he pleases as long as the house is his.
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
She works at officemax. She told me something else last night. She had gotten the most sales on Black Friday so for a reward at work they gave her a $200 camera for free. When she got home her dad demanded that she give it to him because he taught her how to sell. she did not hand it over, but still WTF

Just tell her to move out, the guy's a selfish psycho who doesn't deserve yo- ... I mean her.
I don't see why he couldn't charge her rent although the action's he could actually take if there's a non-payment are legally limited. According to the law he is legally responsible for her untill she is no longer a minor or becomes emancipated. Therefore the father is required to provide for her needs (Food, clothing, shelter, ext).
006 Schecter
Epiphone PR 250
Celebrity (Ovation)
She's a minor, what he's doing is not legal, he has to take care of her till she's 18 or give custody to her other parent.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
invite them over to yours and discuss with drinks and hot fudhe sundaes
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
If the custody agreement doesn't include rent, then what he's doing is probably illegal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Her dad seems like a complete and total a**hole.. He has to provide for her. It's the law.
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Marijuana makes everything better. Everything.

Quote by TooFast
Yeah. Nazi's FTW.
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
the rent is 200 a month

... so, do you think maybe it is time you took action? Like telling her to stay with her Mom or just refuse to pay because he has no legal way of making her, just some ideas.