hi all, the thing is when i try to start a solo and i pick the string, the vibration makes others strings vibrate too without touching them causing horrible sounds how can i fix this,

is a problem with the height of the humbuckers or the strings or just technique???

my strings are d'addario ej-21 0.012 - 0.052, my amp is a marshall mg15
my guitar is a LTD EC-50
Bolt-On
24.75” Scale
Basswood Body
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
42mm Standard Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
24 XJ Frets
Chrome Hardware
ESP Tuners
TOM Bridge & Tail
seymour duncan humbuckers 59 model and duncan custom

thx
Quote by capitol9

my strings are d'addario ej-21 0.012 - 0.052, my amp is a marshall mg15

thx

...cough....
XBL Gamertag: toasty10
Well, it happens, you just have to try to mute the ones you don't want heard. You could also turn down your gain, that might help.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

you have to use your hands to mute the strings you dont want heard while playing.
The Conservative youth of America!
If you play the same note as an open string then the corresponding open string will ring out, it's called "sympathetic vibrations". You have to mute the open strings.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
It's pretty much a normal occurrence. As you play a string, it resonates throughout the guitar. Try this: Place your ear anywhere along the neck or the body of the guitar and pluck a string. Hear that? Your entire guitar is resonating with the frequency of that tone. This also effects the other strings, causing some of them to sympathetically vibrate. Depending on the frequency of the note you played, the effect may be more or less pronounced. I could go into more indepth, but I'll spare you the details.

As someone else mentioned, you just need to become proficient at muting those strings when they start to do this.
Quote by metalscott76
you have to use your hands to mute the strings you dont want heard while playing.

This.

If you have your hands positioned correctly, your picking hand' s thumb and a part of the palm will mute the strings above the string you are picking, while your fretting hand will mute the strings below.
Example: If you pick a note on the g-string, your picking hand will mute the d, a and low e, while the fretting hand will mute the high e and b.
Just mute the strings with your palm, And you can always try putting a (scrunchie) one of them things girls put in their hair, around the neck up by the nut. Ive never tried that, but ive heard it works.
ok thx i understand so sympathetic vibrations =) , but what happens with solo's how can you mute the strings? i guess just practice, thx all.
The scrunchie is a good idea. Lowe does it in all the Laguna adds (as if he really plays a Laguna) and so does Satriani, when he records in the studio.
what these guys said about muting should fix that. i will also offer some advice to mess with the volume balance between your guitar and the master volume on the amp. i generally keep my guitar volume on 2-4 and let the amp do its job, rather than turn up my guitar and let every little bump and brush on the strings be heard.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by capitol9
i've just found and article about how to fix this vibrations, this might help

www.melbay.com/free/tgn2.pdf 1.6Mb page 8/32

it says that the problem could be bad strings, the bridge, the nut, etc.

he's talking about acoustic guitars
a highly distorted electric guitar is MUCH more sensitive to harmonics (whether natural, artificial or open string resonance). its why you can't do the squeelies on an acoustic. so in order to have this kind of problem on an acousitc guitar you have to have something MAJORLY out of whack, like a bad bridge, string or nut.
Quote by sethp
not to be an @$$, but no its not. using a scrunchie just masks improper technique. learn to mute the open strings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVgmtfzdjCs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzY-jIqSZS0

It's all about the final sound man. Who cares how you get it. The electric guitar is less than a century old, hardly enough history for there to be a set way of doing everything.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Muting is a skill that needs to be learned by both hands. It's simple the flesh of the hand resting against the other strings. Practice, and like most people it will become natural.
i diddn't know that you muted the lower ones with your left hand lol that can explain a lot what if there a little depressed will that make a difference?