Right, firstly DON'T reply saying "get rid of the valveking" etc etc etc
because i don't intend to get rid of it, im adament that modding this amp makes it better so i want some opinions..

My band currently use 7 string guitars tuned to G#, the valveking does the job but because we tune low the tone gets muddy..

I was thinking about changing the pickups in my guitar, buts that more effort than its worth..

An idea struck me, what about a tube swap??? maybe that could improve my tone.

after reading through various forums and reviews. i found that people had just stuck an OD pedal infront of the valveking to "improve their tone"
pretty much just added a gain boost, now they are saying that the valveking sounds like "monster"

So what should i consider... either a tube swap? or whack an OD pedal infront of the amp as a cheaper option???

Any help is appreiciated..
thanks.

ww.myspace.com/immoralityuk
um. get new speakers. if u have the VK100 half stack the VK speakers in it are terrible. they have a huge effect on your tone. buy new speakers. i recommend celection G12T75's they are made for playing music with huge low end.
Thanks man, i did think about it, but it's VERY rare that i actually gig with my VK cab.

my band gets around a bit, im using a different cab everytime we play!!!

x
you should really just buy a new cab. it would be cheaper then buying all the speakers and installing them. i would reccomend and avatar cab. they are great. ive used one because my bands rhythm guitar has one. just go to www.avatarspeakers.com and pick the contemporary 212. 412 are so big and unneccesary. the 212 will do you just fine. plus with the avatar ones you can pick what speakers go inside and what color tolex and grill color you want. all of it is included in the price.
this wont improve tone but put a bright green tolex on it
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
I know you said you didn't wanna get rid of it, but really, the VK wasn't meant for heavy drop tuned stuff.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I own a VK100 and run it through a 2x12" Carvin cab using an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

I used to have a really muddy low end and there are some things you can do.

First, make sure the "tone" knob on the back is flipped to Class A since, for me, that cleaned up the tone. Also, make sure you don't have the Resonance up too high since that really muddies the sound on the VK. If you want the bass to hit you in the stomach, turn the Volume up to 5 or 6. Also, the reverb on the amp is crap (though I love the amp itself) so I'd recommend turning it down to 0.

I play everything from Drop C stuff to Standard E. Metal to jazz -- rock always

My personal settings (Lead Channel):
Presence: 9
Resonance: 4
Reverb: 0
Treble: 7
Middle: 5
Bass: 7
Volume: 2 for practice; 5 for gigs
Gain: 1
Volume and Boost ON

Just an option:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/938105606.html

-Will
the hell?

pickups are easy to install

easier than tubes if they need biasing
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the hell?

pickups are easy to install

easier than tubes if they need biasing

TRUE. but my main guitar is an Ibanez RG7321 It has odd fittings, i doubt i can put active pickups in because of the cavity space.

UNLESS any of you own a 7 string ibanez and have DECENT active pickups in?????
Quote by immoralitylee
TRUE. but my main guitar is an Ibanez RG7321 It has odd fittings, i doubt i can put active pickups in because of the cavity space.

UNLESS any of you own a 7 string ibanez and have DECENT active pickups in?????

if cavity space is tight there are some great passives out there

look into swineshead, bareknuckle, dimarzio, seymour duncan and the lace sensor dually red-red (that thing is mental)
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
If you're interested in some internal mods try removing R100. That will improve the gain boost a bit.

Also maybe invest in an equalizer pedal; it really improved my VK's sound in general, really helped for the searing lead-type of sound. An overdrive pedal is beneficial as well (I use mine in conjunction with the gain boost for megabr00t4lz )
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
A different cab or speakers will help a lot.
The first time I used my Valveking Head and connected to a Mesa cabinet holy balls sounded so heavy.
I also did the OD pedal as a boost and didn't like it didn't sound heavy enough it just took away the bassy sonic boomyness that you hear from a breakdown.
For the tubes I am about to get 4 jj 6l6gc and another Tung sol pre amp tube, and i will update you on how it sounds.
Also the Valveking head is fixed bias just play n play type of deal.
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
You'll really need both...
Get the set of JJ High Gain tubes and put them in an bias them CORRECTLY. You should also buy a TS9, Krankshaft or an MXR GT OD these have been my favorite od's for tightening up your tone for metal.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I'm surprised you haven't slapped an od pedal in front of the amp already.
Also, a JJ ECC83S in the first preamp spot will make the amp clearer and it's tone better. The first preamp spot has a HUGE affect on an amps overall tone. Not something to underestimate.
A pickup swap is probably also in order. Or at least in the bridge. Dimarzio makes great 7 string pickups that fit easily into Ibanez guitars.
All of these things will get you where you want to be.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Kevin Saale
I know you said you didn't wanna get rid of it, but really, the VK wasn't meant for heavy drop tuned stuff.
Meh, neither was the 5150 when it was first designed and released.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by SoulTrip
The VK is not intended for metal - THAT is your problem.

Your opinion is not wanted here, why not do as some of the kind people have done in here and actually help me out instead of being a cocky ****.

i believe ANY amp could be used for metal if used correctly. i'm sure most people will agree.

I bid you a good day.