MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT ALERT
Pat_s1EDIT: Also, I can't try any of them out, because the nearest music store to me is over 900km away, across an expanse of cold, deep, dark salt water. Yep, over 500 miles to the nearest music store...which is on an ISLAND in the Atlantic Ocean
another Pat_s1EDIT: Map of where I live:

TL;DR - Amp. I is getting one in a couple years when I have a few thousand dollars. need help on picking one to go for.

Ok, so currently, I play my Jackson DKMG (which I love ) with EMG 81/85's (which I also love ) through a...
...Line 6 Spider III 75...
So anyway, I'm progressing at a decent rate, and I figured in about two - four years when I have enough money, and when I deserve a good half stack, I should get one.

However, I don't really know what kind of amp/head I should get, because I am strongly influenced by many genres and bands. From Instrumental Rock and Shred like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, to Prog Metal like Between The Buried and Me and Blotted Science. From Metalcore and Nu Metal like BFMV and Disturbed, to Death Metal like Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom. I also love heavy and thrash metal, such as Metallica, Pantera, Slayer and Machine Head, as well as Hard and Classic Rock like Airbourne, AC/DC and Deep Purple. Then there's the stuff in between, like Black Tide. I DON'T KNOW WHICH GENRE TO LEAN TOWARDS.

Therefore, I've been looking at a few heads and their combo amp counterparts. The first is the Peavey JSX Joe Satriani Signature. It has a few channels, called Clean, Crunch, and Ultra. Apparently the clean works very well as a platform for pedals, and the amp in general is good for instrumental rock such as, quite obviously, Joe Satriani. However, I do not know what this amp is like for other genres, so I would like some info on this (personal experience preferred)
Link: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-JSX-Joe-Satriani-Signature-Head?sku=480114

The second is a Peavey 6505+ 120w. I've heard it played on Youtube, and it has a good metal tone, so this is the main option for metalcore and Nu-metal
Link: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481432

The third is a Peavey Triple XXX 120w. This seems good for a few genres, such as hard/classic rock like AC'DC, Deep Purple and Black Tide.
Link: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481353

The fourth is a Marshall 2203KK Kerry King Signature, with a few features like "The beast" boost button, a gate threshold and the "Assault" knob. This would be awesome for thrash and death metal, because one) Kerry King of Slayer uses/developed it, and two) Alexi Laiho, who is a big influence for me, uses this head, with a Marshall cab I believe.
Link: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-2203KK-Kerry-King-Signature-JCM800-100w-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481031

And finally, there's the Carvin Legacy VL100, devoloped by another influence of mine (and many other young guitarists), Steve Vai. I've heard some sound clips of it, and it sounds very good for his type of music.
Link: https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=VL100

My budget for a head and cab combined would be maybe $3500 canadian

These are all the amps in order (left to right):
(top row) Marshall 2203KK Kerry King Signature Head w/ Marshall 1960b cab, Carvin Legacy VL412 Steve Vai Signature half stack, Peavey 6505+ Head w/ Peavey 4x12 6505 cab
(bottom row) Peavey JSX Joe Satriani Signature Head w/ Peavey 412 cab, Peavey Triple XXX Head w/ Peavey Triple XXX 412 cab

Yeah, I stole this post from the "Which Amp?" thread...
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Nov 30, 2008,
id say probaly its bewteen the carvin and the xxx, depending on what you wanna play and how heavy you want your sound, but also 120 watts is not nessacary, your gonna blow your brains out
Umm, save up and then think about it? Whatever you decide now you'll have certainly changed your mind by the time you have more money.

My advice, don't even think about deciding until you're close to having the money, just play everything you can. Anytime you go to GC, play all the amps there. Anytime you go to whatever music shop you have, play all the amps. Just try everything. When you know your taste then it's time to track down the rarer ones and give them a try.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by blue_strat
Will you be gigging?
Yes, as often as I can. I already have a band, minus a vocalist. But that's all we're missing.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Umm, save up and then think about it? Whatever you decide now you'll have certainly changed your mind by the time you have more money.

My advice, don't even think about deciding until you're close to having the money, just play everything you can. Anytime you go to GC, play all the amps there. Anytime you go to whatever music shop you have, play all the amps. Just try everything. When you know your taste then it's time to track down the rarer ones and give them a try.
Probably should've put the bit about that being impossible around the beginning of the post.
ARE YOU A FISH?

no, seriously, where the **** do you live?

3500 is a huge budget, get a Matamp and a Mills Acoustics cab. Or a Splawn. Or an Orange Thunderverb.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
What you really need to do is go to your nearest guitar store and play these amps for yourself. Opinions are like, well, they're like an orifice on your body that each of us has. As the rest of that old addage goes, they all stink. What sounds good to your ear may not sound good to mine. Playing these amps, especially with your own guitar, will give you the feel you need to make an informed decision.
i've heard that the kerry king signature is actually quite a versatile amp because when 'the beast' button isn't activatede, it isn't strictly a metal amp. When the beast is off, you can get sounds from crystal clean to sounds with slightly more gain than ACDC.
Quote by xwearesinking
ARE YOU A FISH?

no, seriously, where the **** do you live?

3500 is a huge budget, get a Matamp and a Mills Acoustics cab. Or a Splawn. Or an Orange Thunderverb.
I live in Labrador. I can get a map showing just how isolated I am.
haha, i know where labrador is, i'm in Canada as well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
haha, i know where labrador is, i'm in Canada as well.
Yeah, it sucks ass here. Living in Nfld wouldn't be so bad, cause you have access to St. John's/Mt. Pearl/Paradise/CBS via the TCH. The only highway here though is a really ****ty gravel road that goes on out west and into Quebec.
Nice topic layout. I don't really have any help for you, but it is a very fun and informative first post
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Highwaytohell
Take a trip to like Labrador city and buy stuff.
The only thing Lab City has that's music related is the same Epiphone Special II pack I have, except a lot more expensive, and a couple sets of drumsticks. That's about it.
Any suggestions for cabs that work better with the above heads than the ones that come with the half stack, or suggestions for other heads I should check out, is greatly appreciated as well.
A great option for cabs would be Vader or Avatar. I'm pretty sure Avatar ships to Canada.

Also, I'd go for either the XXX or the Legacy. I've heard the rhythm tones on the JSX aren't too good, but I'm fine with them personally. You might not like 'em.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??