Hey,

After reading a couple of threads within this section i have started to become extremely intrigued

ive been thinking about building a guitar but i don't know what material i should make it out of. I know that most guitars are made up out of mahogany, alder, swamp ash etc. but what is the difference between the type of woods; and how much of a difference is there between the types of wood.

Also does a heavier guitar sound better or does a lighter? And also do you want the guitar to resonate with the strings or stay solid (not resonate) while the strings vibrate?

Thanks in advance

...and sorry for the bombardment of questions
I personally prefer the sound of Mahogany, its heavier, sustains well, and has a nice bright sound

alot of cheaper guitars are made out of basswood, which is lighter, pretty soft (you WILL get little dings) and really brings out the mids (which i personally dont like) of your sound

ash and alder are nice, light, stronger than bass wood, and very trebley. alot of fenders are made out of this.

as for your question about heavier being better, its all your opinion.

if im incorrect or missing any vital info, somebody feel free to correct me.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Heavier woods = heavier tones
Lighter woods = lighter tones

Alder and swamp wood are light, and thus good for traditional strats and teles, while most Les Pauls are mahogany. Depends on your tone, but Alder is good for heavier stuff as well.
i play mostly metal so i guess heavier is the way to go

also is possible to make a guitar out of ebony our would sanding be impossible
The wood you make a guitar out of will not enough of an impact on your tone to matter.

You can make a guitar for metal out of alder, or a guitar for blues out of mahogany. It really doesn't matter.

The pickup selection and amp make up all of the sound that you can hear.

Don't argue with me. I'm not saying that different woods make no difference at all, I'm saying the difference is so small, it doesn't matter in terms of genre and style of music.

EDIT: And, ebony is kind hard to work with, and extremely heavy. Also, enough for a whole guitar would be very expensive.

You can make a guitar out of all ebony if you want, I just wouldn't recommend it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
so if the wood doesn't make that much of a difference what about birch being it is commonly available
Last edited by rottened23 at Nov 30, 2008,
I'm not sure about birch, I've never hard of it used in a guitar. If it is strong enough, then go for it.

Wait till LP addict comes on, he'll know.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
FOR CHRIST'S SAKE,

THE WEIGHT OF YOUR GUITAR WILL NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON YOUR TONE.

Listen to Ottar, I think we've plundered about 400 of these "what wood" threads in the past 3 weeks.

"hey guys, listen how br00talz my cement guitar sounds!"

no.
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by Øttər
The wood you make a guitar out of will not enough of an impact on your tone to matter.

You can make a guitar for metal out of alder, or a guitar for blues out of mahogany. It really doesn't matter.

it.

Really? So I could use any type of wood, as long as I have good pickups and a nice amp? Really?
That would be awesome. Then I wouldn't have to spend $150 on a plank of maple.
Newbs are dorks... oh wait, I'm a newb... shoot...

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!!! I DRINK IT UP!!!

One of these smilies is mentally challenged
wood weight does effect your tone you tit.

buy a sapele body blank from me, its the best wood for guitars ever (as far as i am concerned). if you want sound tests and pictures PM me, ~60 dollars a blank.
Quote by Øttər

Don't argue with me. I'm not saying that different woods make no difference at all, I'm saying the difference is so small, it doesn't matter in terms of genre and style of music.

Gonna have to argue with you there. . . . . . . . . . . .

I've made 2 identical guitars but out of different woods. One all out of mahogany, the other out of ash and maple. Same pickups, same hardwear and the difference in sound is massive. To say the wood you use wont have enough of an impact on a guitars sound is nothing short of ridiculous.

I do agree with what you say about wood for genre being crap but that opening line is bull
as i have previously argued, many times... its not the TYPE of wood that makes tone differ, its the piece of wood itself. two pieces of mahogany will sound totally different. the best way to make sure to ge tthe best tone is to use either a one piece body, or to use 2-3 piece bodies, all cut from the same board and grain matched.
Quote by LP Addict
wood weight does effect your tone

To say that tone of a guitar is based off of it's mass is ridiculous. just because a guitar has more physical mass than another guitar does not mean that it will sound any warmer or brighter.

Density, perhaps, but not mass alone.

Hence, my decision to stay out of these debates.
------

Shwiggity.