I don't trust the reviews for this guitar on this site, because there are everything from 5's to 10's, and I really want a general opinion.

My friend has a double pickup Melody Maker, and he thinks it's God's gift to music. He uses it to play songs by Greenday, a few Metallica, and that's about it.

I know the finish is ugly, but how nice IS this guitar? He always uses the excuse "Well, it IS a Gibson." to justify the 400$ price tag. Is it worth the Gibson name, or is it a lower price excuse, like Marshall's gross practice amps? I checked the reviews, and it got an okay rating, but I want to know if it really IS any better than that, and this is a good way to get the population of UG's opinion.

So shoot. Give up your thoughts.

IJS.
I've actually heard some good things about them, and some people use nitro spray and it makes the finish look pretty nice.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
carl barat from dirty pretty things and the lib's uses them all the time so they cant be that bad
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
it's probably much lower quality than a typical gibson. although, it's so stripped down to the bare bones, you'd have to play it to know. why don't you ask if he'll let you play it, and decide for yourself?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Don't buy something just because it's a Gibson. Your friend has some messed up logic.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
its not a bad guitar, you cant really compare it to a les paul or a sg though, its a completely different sound.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by lespaul#1
Don't buy something just because it's a Gibson. Your friend has some messed up logic.

I agree. When i was younger i always just kind of thought gibson was the holy grail, and i always wanted one. Now i think there are so many other guitars out there that are just as good. But your not paying an extra bunch of money for the gibson logo on the headstock.
It's not a bad guitar, especially considering that you can get one for a little over 300€ now. I'd always try before buying though, fretwork and general quality can be problematic on lower end Gibsons.
Dont look at the brand. A Gibson is very personal, some Gibsons that cost like 2500 euros play like **** while some of 1500 play very good. Its just what you like and other people cant say that for you... just go to your friends house and find out yourself... I've playd on a Gibson Les Paul Costum... which is around the 1500 euros, but I like my Ibanez more.. and that one costs around the 600 euros... so its just a personal matter.... However Gibson Guitars arent bad at all! I Like the sound and stuff very much and alot of the guitars play like heaven... but dont compare it with an epiphone... thats just an whole other (sucky) brand!
Quote by Barendino
Dont look at the brand. A Gibson is very personal, some Gibsons that cost like 2500 euros play like **** while some of 1500 play very good. Its just what you like and other people cant say that for you... just go to your friends house and find out yourself... I've playd on a Gibson Les Paul Costum... which is around the 1500 euros, but I like my Ibanez more.. and that one costs around the 600 euros... so its just a personal matter.... However Gibson Guitars arent bad at all! I Like the sound and stuff very much and alot of the guitars play like heaven... but dont compare it with an epiphone... thats just an whole other (sucky) brand!

why would you make a good post like that and then ruin it in the last sentence by cancelling out everything you previously said with brand snobbery?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Epiphone has been going downhill recently though, so he's right when talking about the newer Epis. I have played a whole bunch of the Chinese Epis and I didn't like even one of them. They didn't even come close to my old Korean Epi.
theyre ok at best imo. good luck. might be abetter idea to save up for an older les paul studio.
My friend won't let me play it, that's the thing. He has a Squier Strat and won't let me play that either.

And I've been playing guitar for three times as long as he has.

I can guess how it sounds and ask this forum, but he doesn't want me to touch it.
there are lemons put there but you can find a really nice one. They are good guitars for a fair price. Don't expect a miracle but you will get your moneys worth out of it.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Tell your friend to let you play it. You won't break it. Tell him he's being an idiot, and that you, having more experience than him, know how to treat a guitar. If that fails, well, then he's being immature.
Lol, you do NOT know him.

He is the king of immature.

I mean come on. He lets his wife play it. But not me.
Well, I'll tell you one thing, for a $400 dollar guitar, Gibson won't really care about quality control. Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. It might be alright, but I'd stay away from Gibson unless you're going to be buying higher up.