What is the cheapest 10" bass speaker you know of? Its kind of an emergency, I need an 8 ohm bass speaker to fill in for one that got kicked in. Power is not an issue, I only need 5 watts of power handling
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
go on musiciansfriend.com type in 10" speaker and a bunch will come up. On the left click the bass option and then find one. I think the cheapest is $40 and is 45W. You might as well buy another amp if you're only needing 5W.
The cheapest speaker on MF is actually $70, I've already checked.
And that amp is a NICE AMP. All tube boutique-y style. I just need a speaker quick, I will replace it with a nice one later.
Btw, I mike on stage. Light tube overdrive on bass: Mmm. Tasty.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Still you won't find a speaker that's only 5W. The least I've ever seen a speaker be, that you can buy not in a amp, is 20W. If you need a speaker that's kind of you're choice unless you want a new amp.
It's OK if the speaker is more than 5 watts. I just need at least 5 watts, and it sounds like that won't be a problem.

Do you have any links for me? I've checked warehouse, MF and AMS. That's all I know where to look.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

No having more watts in a speaker is a good thing. you can put I think up to a 40W speaker in a 5W amp. As long as the speaker's wattage is ABOVE not below the amp's wattage then you're okay. You might start running into a problem when you put 80W speakers on a 5W. The only reason they put speakers in the amp when you buy it is so you can hear the sound not get the best sound. So they put the cheapest, littlest speakers in to get by. Have I helped you out? I don't think I am.
Yeah its those cheapest littlest speakers that I want to buy now. I'm in a pickle and don't have a ton of cash. A great speaker actually came with the amp, it was a custom job, but right now I just don't have the funds.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

I suppose I might buy a 15" and DIY a cab for it. There's a 15" guitar/bass speaker on MF for about $35, which is a good price. Any ideas of household junk I could DIY into a cab? I saw a Mac Plus guitar amp a while ago...
Keep in mind volume is not a real problem for me. I don't need to make a nice pine cab or anything.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

to build a cab you need this special wood, I forgot what it's called, but it absorbs the vibrations well so that your cab doesn't fly everywhere and fall apart. Then you need mounting screws and bolts then adapters and you gotta wire it. When do you need this by?
So I guess building a cab is out of the question... I have a gig this week-end. Worst-case scenario I play through the PA but I'd prefer to use my amp.
Btw, thanks for all of your help thus far.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

You're welcome but still, all I can really say is to just buy a new speaker, no matter what wattage, or find a cheap amp with a 10" speaker in it and trade it out. Buying a bigger speaker will be better in the long run anyways. It's more of the just in case moments when the PA goes out or something and you need that extra volume. And also even though a speaker is rated at 20W which is loud for a tube amp it still can be quite. I bought this 80W speaker for my guitar amp and it still can be just as quiet as my old 40w speaker. Other than what I've said I really don't have anything else to offer. Sorry I can't think of much more but I bet in 10 minutes I'll think of something else.
Ok thanks
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack