I am putting only 2 pickups in my guitar that had 3 before. I want to use the 5 way switch to conrol only 2 pups. Idealy: pos1/bridge :pos2/both :pos3 neck :pos 4,5 /off.
Any idea how to wire the switch?
It is an EMG81 and S
Attachments:
Picture 1.jpg
Photo 348.jpg
Diagram in a minute...

Ok, this should work.

If this isn't the right type of switch (i.e. you have a traditional lever switch instead of the PCB switch shown), tell me and I'll make a new diagram.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by Invader Jim
Diagram in a minute...

Ok, this should work.

If this isn't the right type of switch (i.e. you have a traditional lever switch instead of the PCB switch shown), tell me and I'll make a new diagram.

dude ur a beast man i would not have expected some one to do that
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Invader Jim
Diagram in a minute...

Ok, this should work.

you sure that's right? i'm thinking when you push the lever to the left (toward the neck) the switch will connect to the bridge. and when you push it to the right, you'll get the off position.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i also see that.

can't you put coil split on the pickups (if there humbuckers)
I hear you can't split EMGs but they have the quik connect thing which has 5 wires coming from it.... don't they?
I never was good at imagining the inner workings of switches.

You mean the Neck/Bridge lables are wrong? I just stole that switch pic from an Ibanez wiring diagram Phil posted a long time ago.

I do know that you can auto-split an HSS guitar in pos 2 (B/M) with a stock 5-way. I did it to my strat when I converted her to HSS.
Quote by Invader Jim
Diagram in a minute...

Ok, this should work.

Wow thanks for the effort! It is a traditional switch (see attached photo 348) The bridge p.u. is a humbucker and the neck a single coil. Both pickups have only 2 wires (white/red) I will try this out in the morning!
you mean like the ones on teles?
Maybe he wants a 5 way switch? but for sure, a 3 way fender switch sounds good
OK, nobody answered my other question, so I'll assume that I just got the Neck/Bridge lables backward and the wiring itself is right. Another diagram shortly.

Ok, got it. Usually the pups are connected to the other pole than the one shown, but it's electrically identical.

Last edited by Invader Jim at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Invader Jim
OK, nobody answered my other question, so I'll assume that I just got the Neck/Bridge lables backward and the wiring itself is right. Another diagram shortly.

Ok, got it. Usually the pups are connected to the other pole than the one shown, but it's electrically identical.
this diagram will work as expected, but the previous one will have the Bridge and Off positions reversed. the sequence will be exactly backward from the way the lever is moved.

to correct the previous diagram, you would need to move the B-tone connection to the unused lug at the end then exchange the B-pup and Gnd connections with each other.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Thanks guys...nice new avatar Invader Jim...from Deftonesordie i assume?
hey man, don't spam your own thread.
that's a question for Invader Jim. we already have a thread for that. lolololol
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411