Page 1 of 2
The starter kit cost $199.99 which comes with Squier Stratocaster, fender amp, guitar leasons DVD, cable, strap, extra strings "and more "(Prob just stickers lol) Comes in sunburst or black.

Or a "Squire by fender Bullet Electric Guitar with Tremolo(whats Tremolo?)
for $99.99 and as for amps, im not sure what to get since Im a noob =P But here is a list of cheap amps I was thinking of getting http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=mini+amp&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go

Sorry if I said anything nooby, this is my first guitar and I want it to be a good one!
Every Time You Fail, You Are Getting Closer To Success.
Oops, forgot to say please help
tremolo is the whammy bar
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Just get the starter kit
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
If I were you i would buy a Epiphone guitar used instead of a Squire new. They're much better guitars and you won't be wanting a new one after a few months.
Last edited by wildwildwes594 at Nov 30, 2008,
i'd go to your local guitar store that is not guitar center and ask around. they'll know what's up.
i got the same kit without the dvd when i started and the amp sucks buy it separate .... the amp depends on how much you can spend..... i would recommend you look at these they are about 100$ (rolands are good for metal and have decent effects)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Combo-Amps-Guitar-Amplifiers1,50-100.gc

look around for a better guitar... honestly squiers are crap and you will want a new one once you hear good tone from a quality guitar
Last edited by sbinlb at Nov 30, 2008,
Yep, I'd go for a bullet and a Peavey Vypyr 15.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd go with a Peavey Vypyr 15 and the guitar of your choice. It might cost a little more this way but it will be wort it cause it's gonna sound better. The amps in the starter packs are not very good so the Vypyr will be alot better. I'd also get an Epiphone I like them better than Squier. Here's a link to the Vypyr 15.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 30, 2008,
Get a Crate V5 or a Peavey Vypyr 15 for the amp and a used Epiphone G-400 or Fender Mexican Standard for your guitar. More expensive, but much better tone and feel, plus it'll last longer.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
hmm, So you think i should spend $100 on the guitar and $100 on the amp? The pevy Viper 15 that is.
at least more than 100 on the guitar. 100$ will get you a decent amp. you should go try them out and see which one you like
Buying used is a good idea too. Some good deals on eBay and Craigslist if you look hard enough.

For the Amp, The Roland Cube or The Peavey Vypyr are both very good starter amps for the price.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
i'd get something like a yamaha pacifica 112v ($200) and roland microcube ($130, i think?), or maybe the peavey vypyr (i haven't tried the vypyr). it's probably a little more than you want to spend, but is probably worth it as it should be quite a bit higher quality than a starter pack.

depends how much disposable income you have, of course. don't stretch to that if it means missing your rent/mortgage payment this month, but if it just means skipping a few drinking sessions, then i'd definitely say it's worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Like others are saying, you *could* get the squier for $99 and a peavey vypyr for $99.
The only extras you would be getting after that are well lets see... picks $3, strings $5, strap $3-5, cable $4...coming to around $216. The amp is tons better, and you are getting the same guitar. If you *could* spend more on a guitar there are others at about $200 that are a lot better than the squier... but you could always upgrade later if you like guitar.
If you want it to be a GOOD starter guitar, save up. I don't think I can think I can think of a better starter guitar than the Ibanez S470DXQM, that is if you want a whammy bar. That was my first guitar. Since it's so versatile, you can keep it for a while until you're more experienced, and it's not high-maintenance at all. Plus it has one of the best trems in the world, the ZR trem.
But if all that is too much, take the starter kit.
Starter Kit. I got a Squier Affinity Kit and it's great for starters.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
i think that just getting a random guitar for your first one isnt a bad thing. i got a kmart strat copy for my first one, i hated the hell out of it after awhile, but you know what? it helped tell me what i wanted, adn what i didnt want. having a totally crappy guitar for your first one isnt bad, because it will help you learn better than getting a 500+$ guitar which you will love, and then not know how to cope with crap. if im even making sense....
I am a Stephenist
Quote by cohen5250
Wait a sec. I just found the perfect guitar for you dude. Buy you'll need to save up maybe 50 bucks to buy it. You can't get a better one for the price.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Wilshire-Electric-Guitar-518527-i1391552.gc

He doesn't have other equipment though.

I would say since you said you dont have a budget exactly, get the stuff separately. Picks, extra string, strap, and stuff are all cheap. You want a good amp with your guitar, and starter sets dont have good amps.

And since you said you don't have a budget, look at something like the Yamaha Pacifica PAC112(J or V).
What's your total budget?

As suggested above, if you can squeeze out the $400ish, try for a Made in Mexico (MIM) Fender Strat or Tele. As for the amp, VOX Valvetronix are pretty good makes, and again, the Roland won't let you down.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
What's your total budget?

As suggested above, if you can squeeze out the $400ish, try for a Made in Mexico (MIM) Fender Strat or Tele. As for the amp, VOX Valvetronix are pretty good makes, and again, the Roland won't let you down.

For the guitar itself, Im only spending up to $200 I would prefer $100 ones though.
$200 for the guitar... okay, now I have something to work with. I'm gonna say a Yamaha Pacifica PAC112V
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Fudgepuppy
The starter kit cost $199.99 which comes with Squier Stratocaster, fender amp, guitar leasons DVD, cable, strap, extra strings "and more "(Prob just stickers lol) Comes in sunburst or black.

Or a "Squire by fender Bullet Electric Guitar with Tremolo(whats Tremolo?)
for $99.99 and as for amps, im not sure what to get since Im a noob =P But here is a list of cheap amps I was thinking of getting http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=mini+amp&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go

Sorry if I said anything nooby, this is my first guitar and I want it to be a good one!

Do NOT get a Squier. In all of my experiences, they're very low quality guitars.

And the last thing you want as a beginner is a Tremolo.

If you've ever played Guitar Hero, a Tremolo Bar is the Whammy, which depending on if you push or pull on it will make the note that is being played for the moment go lower in pitch, or higher.

Do yourself a favor, and get an Epiphone G-400 with a Roland Cube 30 amp.

Sure, it'll cost more, but starting will be easier, and the sound won't be too bad.

I would quit playing guitar any second now if it wasn't for the fact that I'm getting a new guitar and amp, after playing on this $150 guitar and $30 amp bs for the last 2 years. Believe me, you're doing yourself a favor by spending a little extra money.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
What do you guys think of a Dean Vendetta XM Electric Guitar
I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking at getting my first guitar with a budget of $200 for the guitar. I'm considering the Dean EVO, Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and ESP EC-50. even though I've never tried it, the ESP has really caught my attention.

Epiphone Les Paul Special II

ESP EC-50

not even including the link to the Dean, because I'm really leaning away from that one right now. any preferences?
If your going to get a squire, get one used. There are hundreds of thousands all over everywhere being sold for **** all because people realise how bollocks they are after a few weeks/months..

DO NOT BUY NEW.

I can't stress that enough.

Get a friend that knows his **** to help you search around and test out guitars.
Quote by oneblackened
$200 for the guitar... okay, now I have something to work with. I'm gonna say a Yamaha Pacifica PAC112V

yeah, definitely.

Quote by uctlaum01
I'm in a similar situation. I'm looking at getting my first guitar with a budget of $200 for the guitar. I'm considering the Dean EVO, Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and ESP EC-50. even though I've never tried it, the ESP has really caught my attention.

Epiphone Les Paul Special II

ESP EC-50

not even including the link to the Dean, because I'm really leaning away from that one right now. any preferences?

maybe you're more into a les paul style shape, but if you're easy on the shape, the yamaha pacifica 112v is pretty nice for a starter guitar for $200.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've seen so many people buy the Squier starter kits (I use to work at Guitar Center). I don't like squiers- I think they are horrible. If you are going to get one, go for the epiphones. They are a better quality second-line instrument.
I think Im going with with Yamaha PAC012. seems great for me.
I cant find any used Yamahas on ebay>.< Only squire strats.
Quote by Fudgepuppy

i recommend the pac112 for 10 dollars more and is made out of alder and if you feel like later its a nice project
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
I cant find any used Yamahas on ebay>.< Only squire strats.
i'm not certain that going used for a first guitar is a good idea, unless you have a trusted guitar-playing friend who's good at doing setups etc. who can help you...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not certain that going used for a first guitar is a good idea, unless you have a trusted guitar-playing friend who's good at doing setups etc. who can help you...

^That's probably a good suggestion.

Anyway, I don't think I ever got your price range actually. Give me that and I can make some good recommendations.

Edit; Gaah, missed where you said it, sorry.

Anyway, for that much, if you can squeeze out $250, I'd get an Epiphone Wlshire. Unless you meant $200 total, in which case I'd get an Epiphone Les Paul Junior(not the best by any means, but I played it once, for $120, or, for the holiday season, $100, it's pretty good) for the guitar and a Roland Cube 15X for the amp(The cubes sound pretty good except for the microcube, and their modeling isn't half-bad either).
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Fudgepuppy

I own a pacifica and I often wonder what would be the best use of it, throwing it out of a window or setting fire to it, certainly not playing it. I have an unbelievable amount of hatred towards pacificas.
Gear:
Washburn X-40 Pro
Washburn X-40
Yamaha RGX 320s custom (with Duncans)
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Yamaha Pacfica 120V (lol)
Encore Strat pile of **** (mega lol)
Saving for new amp
Quote by HMTarnus
I own a pacifica and I often wonder what would be the best use of it, throwing it out of a window or setting fire to it, certainly not playing it. I have an unbelievable amount of hatred towards pacificas.

any good reason?
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Page 1 of 2