Page 1 of 2
Sorry if this is a repost or in a sticky, but I really need help.
I can play pretty decently but when I play it's not like I feel any emotion being put into my playing. It feels just like notes getting played.
Any advice for playing with "feel"?
Make faces while playing.
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
Epic bends.
All your base are belong to us.
Well, while it's not really an advanced technique, what you have to do is pick notes that you feel. You use your inner ear to guide you and you pick the note that expresses what you want to express. If this means playing less notes, then thats fine.

Secondly, learn to organise your musical ideas and connect them - click on the phrasing link in my sig.

Thirdly, develop a decent vibrato and ability to bend notes. That will allow you to do more with every note you play. See the sticky for help with that.

Play guitar, and every time something you play moves you, remember it. Seek out what makes you feel different things (I love wide chord voicings with inner tensions, they chill me out and remind me of the beauty that is possible with the simplest forms of expression) - and then seek to make them part of your own musical voice.

That's about it, really.
check out the lessons about phrasing on UG, they are pretty helpful. you gotta think the line that you're playing and associate something with it, to create a feel, but to be able to put this on the guitar you have to learn how to phrase
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
Yeah. Think of the feeling you want to express. Then sit there and feel it, really feel it inside. Then try and make your guitar say what youre feeling.
play with phrasing. Imagine that you're singing with your guitar.
OPINIONATED STATEMENT

Meaningful Song Lyrics
Inside my signature
Make me look deep
And misunderstood

Quote by Pannenkoeken
Out of context hilarious quote!

Quote by Pannenkoeken
Out of context compliment!

My Gear:
Awesome Shit
Cool Shit
Shitty Shit

Close your eyes, and clear your mind before you do a lead, completely stop thinking about anything, especially what you're going to do next, then keep your eyes closed, and start with a note off the top of your head, that's what i always do when i want to give real emotion. it helps because it puts you on the spot so you play whatever you're thinking... it's difficult at first but you get used to it, and it becomes like stream of conscious writing. don't think about riffs you've learned or licks, just the note right after the one you're playing. to give emotion you have to provide emotion, at first the emotion will probably be fear and uncertainty because you're uncomfortable with this technique, but after a while it becomes whatever you're feeling or trying to portray
Quote by NckSprks
Sorry if this is a repost or in a sticky, but I really need help.
I can play pretty decently but when I play it's not like I feel any emotion being put into my playing. It feels just like notes getting played.
Any advice for playing with "feel"?

Stop playing mechanically and start thinking about what you're playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Do Legato with the whammy bar. Make Vaiesque faces. Epic bends

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
I don't think you can explain to someone how to "play with feeling".
It's a subconscious thing--you either feel it or you don't.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's a subconscious thing--you either feel it or you don't.

^This. If you don't feel the lick, then how are you gonna sound like it?
Look at Vai's performances, and you'll see "feel"
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
I don't write certain things without backing I feel it helps in some sense... rhythm is hard to do in sense its the backing but after a rhythm is found I listen to it with or without lyrics added and decided how the melody/solo will sound.

I feel if i try to play melody without the idea running in my veins as the speakers are cranked i cant get a good fitting part for it.
Quote by steven seagull
Stop playing mechanically and start thinking about what you're playing.

Or the opposite...dont think about it at all...trust your instincs and just let it flow out. On my best nights I become almost disconnected...Kind like out of body experience where your hands are just moving by themselves and you become a spectator of your own playing.

Steve Vai will often play sentences and paragraphs of phraes in his head. This will break you out of the usual patterns.
Quote by BeerChurch
Or the opposite...dont think about it at all...trust your instincs and just let it flow out. On my best nights I become almost disconnected...Kind like out of body experience where your hands are just moving by themselves and you become a spectator of your own playing.

Steve Vai will often play sentences and paragraphs of phraes in his head. This will break you out of the usual patterns.

That only works when you have enough experience to know how something will sound before you play it without thinking, I think for people up to a certain point "Listen and think" is the best advice you can possibly give; if you don't listen and think you'll never get the kind of symbiotic relationship with your guitar that people like Vai, Satch and Govan all seem to have.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ I agree with that

Easiest thing to do, that you can start doing right away is slow your playing right down and as others have said, listen to the notes you are playing.
Hehe the face suggestions keep making me think about Henderson, he makes the most awesome faces.

The question is too broad for a single answer really. So much comes into a solo, it's impossible to capsule it into a post on a forum.
I'd say, have patience. If you keep playing you will learn more and more and eventually when you are improving you can imagine and play and that feeling will start to surface.
Don't demonstrate your guitar...play your guitar. If you have no will to play music, then what good of a guitarist are you?
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
I guess you could say that you should remember that you are the master of your guitar, not the other way around. Rather than being handcuffed by your guitar, you should think of it as a tool. Remember that and you should have some success.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Skatality
*weed*

I hugely disagree with everytihng in this post; weed is, in my opinion, terrible for your playing. In every way.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Skatality
Lots of good advice in this thread..I will continue the trend.

Pity you didn't - druggie spam isn't what I'd class as "good advice".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Pity you didn't - druggie spam isn't what I'd class as "good advice".

in b4 drug flame war

Sorry if I offended you dudes..but get over it, I'd wager that a fair amount of your favorite artists toked up on the daily...it's not like I'm here advocating the use of heroin or some ****..relax
Last edited by Skatality at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by Skatality
Let me just say that playing guitar with a band / friends while under the influence is one of the best feelings in the world (coming from someone who thinks sober guitar playing is pretty sick (note: thick sarcasm in the form of understatement)).

Let me just say that your playing and creativity are going to be nowhere near where you actually believe them to be. The audience will not thank you.
Quote by :-D
Let me just say that your playing and creativity are going to be nowhere near where you actually believe them to be. The audience will not thank you.

thank you for speaking for my audiences..

You are an idiot for making such a broad, general claim. I do not even feel the need to justify my reasoning on this one.
Quote by Skatality
thank you for speaking for my audiences..

You are an idiot for making such a broad, general claim. I do not even feel the need to justify my reasoning on this one.

Trust me, being a college musician I've witnessed many such performances and talked with many people about this issue, and the almost unanimous opinion was the one I suggested above.

So before you run your mouth again, yes, I have plenty of experience with this; you don't have any reasoning to justify. You were not in a lucid state of mind during the performances, and as such your perceptions of the situations mean precisely dick.
Last edited by :-D at Dec 3, 2008,
Trust me, being a college musician I've witnessed many such performances and talked with many people about this issue, and the almost unanimous opinion was the one I suggested above.

So before you run your mouth again, yes, I have plenty of experience with this; you don't have any reasoning to justify. You were not in a lucid state of mind during the performances, and as such your perceptions of the situations mean precisely dick.

College Musician,

I've NEVER performed for an AUDIENCE whilst UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

I know it may be hard, please try to take the words that I've typed prior to these ones and try to comprehend them.

There's no doubt that it enhances the way that you feel the music, and it's nice to jam with friends..but I NEVER smoke before any shows at all. Don't get me wrong, I've been completely sober and watched bands who completely weren't and they've still put on a good show.

Bottom Line:

Stop being biased

Take things for what they are; maybe you need to alter your perspective. Take a look from outside in..if everyone would try a little harder to understand everyone else, I think we'd get along a lot better
Quote by Skatality
College Musician,

I've NEVER performed for an AUDIENCE whilst UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

I know it may be hard, please try to take the words that I've typed prior to these ones and try to comprehend them.

Well, then don't say "thank you for speaking for my audiences". That would imply that you've had audiences while under the influence. So, I actually comprehended your words just fine; it was just that you misspoke.

Skatality]Take things for what they are; maybe you need to alter your perspective. Take a look from outside in..if everyone would try a little harder to understand everyone else, I think we'd get along a lot better

No. I'm not going to alter my perspective (kudos for not performing while under the influence, by the way) because it's insanely selfish to jeopardize the performance of a entire group just so somebody can "feel the music" better or another crap excuse. I've argued with many people about this (to the point of yelling at them face-to-face in one case); like I said, it's extremely selfish and I've never heard of a good justification for it.

Again, though, that's not directed at you. That's simply my standpoint.

(Just as an aside, there is no way for a person to be completely unbiased, by the way.)
Weed will only improve the music you already play and only for yourself, the OP didn't want to know how to sound better to himself while stoned, he wanted to know how to play better in general. What you play while stoned will sound like a confused version of what you play while sober and nobody likes a confused performer.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by Skatality
in b4 drug flame war

Sorry if I offended you dudes..but get over it, I'd wager that a fair amount of your favorite artists toked up on the daily...it's not like I'm here advocating the use of heroin or some ****..relax

If you can name me one musician I have any respect for who smokes weed regularly, or even at all, I'll gladly concede the point.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Learn some guitar parts that "have feel".

learn to play them with the same feel.

do this many times over for as many different types of music as you can/want.

let yourself develop your own sense of feel in the process.

don't do superficial things like make faces..... thats not feel. In many cases players make faces to look cool and make you think they are "feeling it". Thats like putting on a costume.
If you want to play with feel, you have to learn what it "feels" like to do so.

Feel is not a technique, don't approach it like one.
shred is gaudy music
For blues, try to imagine your guitar is a pissed off woman that is screaming obsenities at you, for the next phrase, imagine you are arguing back at her. A growing argument. Try to mimick the way your voice would change in pitch and timing, this is true emotion. This works great for a guitar battle too, as it gets louder you eventually both scream at the same time in harmony. It kind of works in a subliminal way.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by Tempoe
For blues, try to imagine your guitar is a pissed off woman that is screaming obsenities at you, for the next phrase, imagine you are arguing back at her. A growing argument. Try to mimick the way your voice would change in pitch and timing, this is true emotion. This works great for a guitar battle too, as it gets louder you eventually both scream at the same time in harmony. It kind of works in a subliminal way.

you shouldn't have to contrive anything. You either have something to express or not.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Freepower
Guthrie Govan.

Shit...that just about trumps everyone in my book...well; I concede defeat. Weed is good for playing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I actually think booze and drugs in a sense dont do much asidd from make you think a little less about technicality. When i feel slightly buzzed on beer i feel like my playing is more creative cause I am more relaxed and dont care as much as i did fully sober. weed probably does the same thing.

That or its all in their head.. - placebo
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you can name me one musician I have any respect for who smokes weed regularly, or even at all, I'll gladly concede the point.

Ever heard of a man by the name of John Lennon? If my memory serves..he was responsible for much of the content for a very successful band whose name seems to elude me (note: sarcasm).

Well, then don't say "thank you for speaking for my audiences". That would imply that you've had audiences while under the influence. So, I actually comprehended your words just fine; it was just that you misspoke.

I was being very sarcastic..there is no possible way that you could know whether or not people enjoy the things I play..

Also, you're right, it's impossible to be completely unbiased, but you can still try I get along with most everyone I know (even non-'druggies', shocking, I know) because I try to understand where people come from and how they got to where they are..
Enough about drug usage, it was more of a joke than anything.

I digress..OP, you jam with your friends often? If not, maybe you should give it a shot..I tend to feel the music a lot more when I'm playing with someone else..

Think about what's going on in your life right now, think about what motivates you and brings you to tears or to fury..and just play and ignore everything else. Pick a color or emotion and try to match sounds to it..it was said already, but: consider some bends / vibrato when it feels right (which can be often or not so often, don't let anyone tell you how to play )..
Page 1 of 2