Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I am looking to upgrade my gear since Christmas is coming. Right now I am using an ESP LTD M50 guitar which I got for 185 and a line 6 spider 3 15W amp along with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. I play mainly metal songs like Megadeth or Metallica.

I am looking to buy the ESP KH-202 Kirk Hammett Signature guitar because I've been eyeing it for a while now and I think it looks gorgeous.

If I were to get the guitar first and not upgrade the amp, would my sound significantly improve? So far, I am not satisfied with the feel of my current guitar nor the sound quality of my amp.
most of your tone comes from the amp
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Would the new guitar upgrade make it sound any different? Also, what are you opinions on the KH-202 from ESP? Which amp would you recommend for me with a budget of roughly 200~$? I play at home mostly only to practice.
amp, you get most your tone from your amp.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

i wouldn't bother with the KH202, the trem is liable to suck, plus at your limited budget you can't afford to be wasting some of your money on endorsement royalties.

the big problem is that $200 for a better amp will get you something a little better (roland cube 30x, maybe a peavey vypyr, but i haven't tried the vypyr), but it's debatable if it's enough of a difference to justify the expense... unless you could trade your spider in for one of those, in that case it may be worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So the KH202 is crap? How much money would it cost to upgrade my line 6 spider 3 15w to a better amp that would be worth it?
with a budget of only 200, a new guitar wouldnt be much of an upgrade and an amp wouldnt be too much either. id save more money and get an amp then guitar.
You could try the Ibanez Valbee, it's about 200 bucks. It's one of the few small valve amps that are made for high gain use and even though it lacks the bass response of bigger amps with bigger speakers, not to mention the limited headroom for cleans, it is worth a look. It's 5 watts amp, just right for home use. It's actually a really responsive amp and has lots of gain on tap.

Other, better valve amps or higher end modeling amps like the line6 flextone will cost you at least twice as much, even if you buy them used.

Quote by enalsisiht
with a budget of only 200, a new guitar wouldnt be much of an upgrade and an amp wouldnt be too much either. id save more money and get an amp then guitar.

Unless you like the Valbee, this is the best you can do.
you have a computer for an amp... get a real amp
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
An MG is arguably worse than a Spider. As said, look at a Valbee - if you don't like 'em, maybe look at a Vox Valvetronix, or a used Randall RG50TC.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^ not good, that MG is arguably worse than what you already have. EDIT: ^ lol, you said the exact same thing i did, in the exact same words.

Quote by dNWaKE
So the KH202 is crap? How much money would it cost to upgrade my line 6 spider 3 15w to a better amp that would be worth it?

i suspect it's not great.

if you can swap the line 6 for a cube30 in an almost straight swap, it might be worth it. or maybe the valbee that quailman is talking about, i haven't tried it though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 30, 2008,
what other amps in the 200-400 budget range should I look into? which guitars in the same budget do you guys recommend for metal?
That MG is even worse than the Spider. I'd avoid it.
I have not been able to find a Valbee on the big US online retailer sites, it has disappeared for some reason. However, I strongly advise to try one out if you can find one.

Otherwise I'd save up, high gain amps are expensive.

EDIT: I'm too slow, all questions have been answered. Quailman, you're getting old and useless.
Wow, never heard of the Ibanez Valbee.

That's a pretty sweet looking amp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
Wow, never heard of the Ibanez Valbee.

That's a pretty sweet looking amp.

It's small and a little trebly, but lots of fun.
^ i prefer the cube 30x for metal. the vox is nice, but is better at lower gain tones, in my opinion.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S320-S-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=512503

that'd likely be better than the KH guitar- will have a much better trem, at any rate.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
in my opinion, yeah. the r-fier model is mor or less where it's at for modern metal on a budget, if you ask me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As far as the guitar goes I'm gonna agree with Dave, the S series ibanez guitars are pretty phenomenal for the money.

As far as amps go, I would say stay away from the 5W Ibanez for now and get something which is potentially less problematic.

The best thing you could do it just go into ye olde guitar shoppe and play a few that catch your eye. Unless you're going to be gigging soon, I think you would get alot more satisfaction from a new, better guitar.

EDIT: Are you sure you want a Floyd Rose trem? From your setup I take it you've not been playing long and they are a huuuge pain in the brown eye.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
As far as amps go, I would say stay away from the 5W Ibanez for now and get something which is potentially less problematic.

How is the Valbee problematic?
I haven't heard any reports about reliability problems or anything.
Quote by TheQuailman

I agree, how much can go wrong on a 5 watt amp?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^Eh, save? IMO there's no point in going from one junk guitar to another.
don't get a signature guitar. my friend bought an alexi laiho, and sold it. within a month.

buy your own guitar that you like, not because its from a famous person.

choose your own and make it your signature.

ya digg?

oh between i'd go with a new guitar. line 6 are good.
i have 2 amps and 4 guitars.
Quote by TheQuailman

I said potentially problematic, not saying it will be. But IMO a solid state practice amp would suit him far better.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by Zeroxsk8er1
don't get a signature guitar. my friend bought an alexi laiho, and sold it. within a month.

buy your own guitar that you like, not because its from a famous person.

choose your own and make it your signature.

ya digg?

oh between i'd go with a new guitar. line 6 are good.
i have 2 amps and 4 guitars.

Line 6 is good, the spider is not.
so there arent any good guitars in the 200-300 range that i can buy? also, would the roland 30x sound 2x better than the spider 15w that i have? 3x better?
i'm going to suggest you have a good look at your guitar.. find out exactly what you dont like about it and spend a little bit of money trying to adapt that model. even though i'm not really in a position to tell, i'm suspecting you don't actually need a new guitar.

i do feel the Roland Cube 30X is a good buy and a wise choice over the Spider.
what I dont like about my current guitar is that the strings buzz alot in the first frets, mainly the low E string. whenever I try to play the first fret of it, it buzzes horrendously. I am told that having a setup would cost nearly as much as buying it itself which costs 185
So would upgrading from a spider 3 15w to a roland 30x and a esp ltd m50 to a Ibanez RG350EX a wise choice?

im still looking at the kh202 though. is the a much better choice than the kh 202? the kh202 costs about 30 dollars more
Last edited by dNWaKE at Nov 30, 2008,
Page 1 of 2