Hi guys.

My little brother is going to buy a new acoustic guitar (most likely nylon) and I was wondering if a Takamine guitar would be good? I really don't know much about acoustic guitars, but I want him to have a nice guitar.

His budget is not very high, around 300 USD.
yeah they are good for the price, yamaha also makes good budget acoustics
If you're buying a classical guitar(nylon strings), then takamine won't be your best choice. You'll have to look for classical guitar brands. If you're buying a steel string acoustic then you can't go wrong with a takamine.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Admira and Santos Martinez make some stunning student guitars, but Im not sure how the prices compare from UK to US. And in answer to your question - Yes, but they're not amazing for nylon strung guitars.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Last edited by guitaristclass at Nov 30, 2008,
i have a takamine g-330s its a basic guitar but i cant complain solid tone and great price also check out rondomusic.com great guitars cant say enough about them
I've seen some promising reviews of the higher-priced Takamine's, so if you are not into spending the higher dollar amounts, a nice EJ200 will impress.

Take a look at the review I did, of the EJ200 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhvmH_1xPvc
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
I like them. I have a Takamine EG540C and a Jasmine something.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
The takamine gs330s is a great steel-string guitar for $300. i'm not sure if it has any decent nylon string guitars though.
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
i got a dr500r masterbilt and i went and bought a gs330s today and i love it =D .. very simple and nice sounding guitar .. it has that nice bassy lows which i love for fingerpicking songs .. and the solid cedar top sounds nice and mellow and will only get more complex with age .. =D
take it easy man .. its just a thread
i took my takimine back a few days after i got it. it was a g-series, and it costed me a pretty penny, and honestly, it was just ****.

avoid them i recon, unless you find a real nice one.
"Back-n-side Maple" (means it is not solid wood)
The Tuning Machines are not Grovers
Not necessarily a bad "beginners" guitar if set up properly

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
Quote by Soupy1957
"Back-n-side Maple" (means it is not solid wood)
The Tuning Machines are not Grovers
Not necessarily a bad "beginners" guitar if set up properly

Ok, maple's not good - what wood is good then?
I would just say avoid Ibanez. They're flashy and nice looking, but their materials and build quality have all been bad in all the ones I've ever played.

They make great electric guitars, without a doubt, but their acoustic guitars are lacking.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Not saying Maple is no good....just think the wood on a guitar should be solid and not a laminent, is all. (personal preference).

I agree.....avoid the Ibanez....

Try the Guild GAD25, it's a great guitar.....all solid wood

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
dont be foolish bro .. go and try out the takamine gs330s .. you will see lolz
take it easy man .. its just a thread
I have the G340SC, and it's a great guitar. Sounds beautiful, fit and finish is just about the best I've seen for a guitar in this price range, perfect action right out of the box. I'm happy with my decision each time I pull it out of the case.
Quote by sunshowers
I have the G340SC, and it's a great guitar. Sounds beautiful, fit and finish is just about the best I've seen for a guitar in this price range, perfect action right out of the box. I'm happy with my decision each time I pull it out of the case.

I have the same guitar but acoustic electric and its sounds awsome. definantly a good choice
Takamine = Awesome.

I have a Takamine G320. Ok, it's not the best guitar in the world. All-lam () but it sounds AMAZING considering the fact that I only shelled out $150 US for it. Takamine makes quality, durable, beautiful sounding guitars. Not only that, but the naturals all have a very subtle beauty in their looks, and no other company makes a better looking gloss black acoustic. Period. Of course, in the world of acoustics, looks in all honesty mean jack***t, but if you pay money for something you should be satisfied in the overall package, right?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
there width at the nut is very imp. for a proper classical but in your case i don,t think it will matter but there known for undersizing withs on the nut i have had 2 but they are a relly nice sounding guitars both classicals areally good sounding and affoarding guitar was a (la patrie) (etude model ) made que. canada