I was looking on Craigslist for a used guitar, and I found this Wonderful Mexican Made Strat for 150$.

There's a link.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/938450021.html

Should I look for anything in particular? I've already asked for pictures of the neck, headstock, back of the guitar, close-up of the front and for pictures of any blemishes.

Anything else I should look for?

And, after buying it, I was thinking of swapping out the pickups for something that could handle as heavy as Thrash Metal without that nasty hum. Any suggestions?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I dunno about playing thrash metal with it... I just can't really see why you'd take a Fender for that.

WATCH OUT FOR COUNTERFEITS. Ask for the numbers and check them with Fender. From what I've heard, Fender is a pain to work with, but I'd rather give it a shot and be safe rather than ending up with a cheap knockoff.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
I've been gassing for a strat for a year and a half (almost since I started playing). I really like the shape and feel of it. Where can I check the serial number?
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
make sure the numbers mtach and make sure the guitar is good condition if you can.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Get the Kirk Hammett prewired pickguard with EMG pickups. That should serve your purposes. Although it's about 300 dollars.
Quote by wolfy808
I've been gassing for a strat for a year and a half (almost since I started playing). I really like the shape and feel of it. Where can I check the serial number?

This site is godly for that... quick search on google.

http://www.guitarnucleus.com/fenderserial.html
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Serial checkout is worthless... a real "good" fake would use an existing serial. That said, if you can't tell a fake by playing it and inspecting it, you should not buy used. The paint, hardware, pickups, and playability will be way off compared to the real deal.
Try it first; I got mine for $220 new with professional rewiring and repotting I'd imagine would cost $150 new, it sounds kickass, and I got a hardshell with it.

Looks fine to me, but again, always try first.

As for the pickups, I'd recommend a DiMarzio Chopper in the neck, a Lace red sensor in the mid and a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in bridge for metal pickups afterwords.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Thanks guys. I was also thinking of repainting it (the wine red doesn't really appeal to me) so do I just spraypaint it, or do I need to add a lacquer on it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to modding guitars and buying used.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Just request to play it first. Every guitar I've bought has been used, and I've always played them before deciding. Yes, gems do exist out there, you just have to make sure they;re the real deal.

As for the whole "counterfeit" thing: Who cares if it's built well? If it plays well and sounds good, as well as is solid enough not to fall apart after a few hours of playing, does it really matter? Just sand off the name.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp