I want to change my style of playing from conventional picking/strumming to more of a finger picking/tapping/etc.

Something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PemzHddFyNE

Listening to that guy (Andrew Gorny)'s music has opened my eyes to what can be done on guitar. I want to start making the switch now, but I don't know how to. My finger picking is terrible and inaccurate right now, by the way. And I can tap out a few awkward, sluggish notes, but when I try to speed up at all I start to miss the frets I'm aiming for.

Help me, please. I want to start learning how to play this way now so I can take my new found inspiration to a new level in a couple years.
I don't know why after all the threads on 'practice' but i shall repeat....start off slowly, getting it clean, work your way up in speed.
I actually got my tapping pretty good with my index and middle fingers last night, but no matter what I do finger picking is just so awkward. Is there a certain way to hit the string when finger picking? I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I either get a very soft muffled sound or a loud, annoying "plucked" sound.
Learn songs by artists you want to change your style to be like, and see what they do. Then analyse the songs and pick out any things you like, any common techniques/phrases between them etc.
I'm not so sure I'll be able to learn songs by Andy McKee and Andrew Gorny just yet. Are there some "simpler" artists with similar styles that I could learn songs from?

I'm really into Andrew Gorny's tapping style, and I will be learning that and adapting it into my own sort of thing. I also like Andy McKee's percussion, and I'll probably be incorporating a tiny bit of that, but not as much as the tapping.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Dec 1, 2008,
Not that I know of; try slowing it down. The more you practice it slowly but accurately, the better you will get at playing it fast.
Well, as far as the tapping goes, I put together a little beginner tapping exercise for my index and middle fingers. It's just

A(3rd fret)
A(2nd fret)
A(3rd fret)
A(2nd fret)
D(2nd fret)
A(2nd fret)
A(3rd fret)
A(2nd fret)
A(3rd fret)
A(2nd fret)
A(3rd fret)
A(2nd fret)
D(3rd fret)
A(2nd fret)
A(3rd fret)
A(2nd fret)
A(3rd fret)
A(2nd fret)
A(3rd fret)
A(2nd fret)

repeated

Of course, the strings could be wrong (it might be D and G), and the exact sequence might be a little off, considering I just got back from track practice a little while ago and I'm still a little dazed. How does that sound for a quick tapping exercise though?

And I'm still open to help with the finger picking.
I listen to just about everything from this, to Jack Johnson-ish stuff, to all sorts of rock (I love me some Muse, RATM, and Audioslave. That's not all, though). I've been absorbing for years. That's why I took up guitar. I had no outlet. I mean, I could always try painting, but guitar is just so much fun!
You'll need a semi acoustic guitar, and with lowered action to get a good tapping sound out of it.

For the fingerpicking u need to practice, and maybe grow ur nails a little bit longer or shorter depending on what sound u want.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Eh, I'm not really into the whole "growing your nails out" thing.

In a few years when I'm good enough to justify the purchase, though, I'll probably try out a Rainsong and maybe even buy it. The "pure, piano-like" seems perfect for me. Plus, I've seen demo videos of it where people with short nails have finger picked it, and it retained a clear, bright sound. I'm hoping that will make up for my normal length/shape nails. I'm going to make do with my 12-string Sigma with 6 strings at this point. If I get good with that, nothing can stop me.