Page 1 of 2
Price: $900 max.

Genre of music: Classic rock/metal. I guess listing some bands would be the most suitable to label what taste I'm looking for.

Black Sabbath (All eras)
Aerosmith
Dio (Solo career, of course)
Judas Priest
Guns N' Roses
Iron Maiden
Joe Satriani
Led Zeppelin
(Some) Megadeth
Metallica (Older era-esque stuff, something that'll somewhat be able to handle AJFA/Black album)
Motorhead
Ozzy Osbourne (Once again, solo career)
Pink Floyd
Rainbow
Tenacious D (:P)
Testament
Van Halen

I'd say some of the larger choices would be Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen. I'm gonna be doing a lot of band practices and some gigs. Right now, all I own and play through is a little Vox DA-5, so this will be a long term investment. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA

I've been looking into ValveKing's for a while, and I was practically sold by this video, but I heard the speakers in them sound horrible, and it wouldn't exactly please my parents to buy something that's around $650 and say "Yeah, I need to replace some crap in it now."
Quote by Darkice
Marshall Plexi save up

What model, specifically?

I must also say that if it matters, I currently have a Fender MIM strat, but it's most likely that I'll be getting an Agile AL-3000 for Christmas.
guys what are you doing... Recommend this man a good amp!

used Laney AOR
Peavey Classic 30 with an Overdrive
used Marshall JCM800
used Marshall JCM900
used Peavey XXX
used Mesa DC-5
used Mesa F-30
Maybe try to find a Mesa F-30/F-50, .50 Caliber or DC-5. They can do all of those bands and more, I think. All of those amps are discontinued, so check Craigslist.

A VK can do all of those with some help (namely speaker swap + overdrive pedal) I rather like mine, too, but the required mods turn off alot of people. If I were you I'd probably check out the Mesa amps I just listed.

Some other amps to check out (some discontinued):

1. Bugera 6262
2. Bugera 333XL
3. Peavey Ultra
4. Peavey XXX
5. Traynor YCV50 BLUE
6. Traynor YCS50
7. ENGL Thunder
8. Randall RG50TC
9. B-52 AT112/212
10. Mesa Express 5:50
11. Maybe you might find a Mesa Mark III combo, but I doubt it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Marshall JCM 800 really, Used ideally.
Beware that you'll have to use some of your budget for an attenuator and a good set-up, and biasing!
It is VERY loud, and i'm not even joking.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I guess it'd also be smart to say I'm only 15, so it's not like I'm playing anywhere especially large. Only in schools/parties/etc.
On second thoughts...
Orange Tiny Terror head and 1x12 cab.

Would be perfect.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
On second thoughts...
Orange Tiny Terror head and 1x12 cab.

Would be perfect.

I've heard good things about them, but will it be able to do some metal?
if i was you i would save up more and buy a amp that will suit your needs till the end of time.

curently im saveing up for a mesa/boogie roadster with a 2x12 cab. its perfect for my needs and then some. i played it the other day and was able to get any sound i was looking for. I'm talking clean blues to death metal. this amp just simply does it all. the switchibal power makes it perfect playing at home useing 50w or on stage 100w.
seeing as nearly all of your main choices used marshalls, you'd be best off with a marshall JCM800 or JCM900
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
If you want something big:
Plexi half stack.
Something reasonable:
Marshall 18watt clone, very close to plexi sound, plenty of builders, or build one yourself.
http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSTMB/BSTMBComplete.htm

I would stray away from the JCM900. You don't need that much gain for what you are playing. And those use diodes to clip the signal, not true tube crunch. JCM800 is alright though
Last edited by eurotrashed at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
if i was you i would save up more and buy a amp that will suit your needs till the end of time.

curently im saveing up for a mesa/boogie roadster with a 2x12 cab. its perfect for my needs and then some. i played it the other day and was able to get any sound i was looking for. I'm talking clean blues to death metal. this amp just simply does it all. the switchibal power makes it perfect playing at home useing 50w or on stage 100w.

I have to say I simply don't have the experience to know what would suit me. I don't really have any local guitar stores to check out, either.

I've heard many great things about the Orange...
Quote by eurotrashed
If you want something big:
Plexi half stack.
Something reasonable:
Marshall 18watt clone, very close to plexi sound, plenty of builders, or build one yourself.
http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSTMB/BSTMBComplete.htm

I would stray away from the JCM900. You don't need that much gain for what you are playing. And those use diodes to clip the signal, not true tube crunch. JCM800 is alright though

Go with this guys suggestion should nail the tone your looking for, for the best price and yeah JCM 900 too much Gain for Gun & Roses.
Quote by Teh Wheelz
I've heard good things about them, but will it be able to do some metal?

If you put a nice OD in front of it then yeah!
Also a EQ might be of use if you like to fettle with settings.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Darkice
Go with this guys suggestion should nail the tone your looking for, for the best price and yeah JCM 900 too much Gain for Gun & Roses.

Yeah, I'm really looking for a Guns N' Roses-esque tone. Do ya think the Orange Tiny Terror will do it?
The Tiny terror Could do it for sure I would suggest a OD petal along with it though.
But the TT really shines in the blues, that being said dont be fooled This amp can do beautiful Metal tones

and I think it could do the GnR sound quite nicely.
I'm in GnR territory at about 2:00 on the gain with my Tiny Terror. Plenty of gain with this amp. But if you want the true Plexi sound in a simular size, a Marshall 18 watt clone is the way to go
I'm highly impressed with the Tiny Terror from what I saw, so I guess I will be looking at that for now. Anybody know how much the Tiny Terror and a 1 x 12 cab run for together? I think I read somewhere that it's about $800?
The head new is $575. Cab is $350.
The Tiny Terror Combo is $800 new
You can get the head for about $400 used. Then get an Avatar cab for about $250 or even a blackheart cab for $150
Quote by Teh Wheelz
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG333XL212

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG6260212

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG6262212

I've also looked at all of these a while ago, and heard they sound badass, but the durability is crap and they break down often.

It's overblown man, everyone sees a couple of them go down and starts spreading the rumors that they all break down.

I've seen 3 Randall RG50TC's and a B-52 AT112 break down this month. Does that mean that every single one of these amps breaks down? No. There are many Bugera users who havent had a single problem from launch day.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by Highwaytohell
In this situation I'd actually recommend a Ceriatone JCM800 clone as well

A used Marshall JCM800 would probably be more cost effective
JCM 800 2203 and 2204 heads go for about $1600.00 on ebay

Ceriatone is $800 for the 2203 and $1000 for the 2204 new.
Its also $200 for shipping for a JCM800 from Ceriatone. If you look around you can get a nice used Marshall JCM800 for $1000-$1200
Quote by Sin City Sid
JCM 800 2203 and 2204 heads go for about $1600.00 on ebay

Wat? That's why we use Craigslist. Because a 2204 goes for 800 or less.
Quote by imgooley
Wat? That's why we use Craigslist. Because a 2204 goes for 800 or less.

You have to remember, there is a 50w output difference, and they are not built the same on the inside, they do sound different. And yeah, I can find a 2204 for that price. its a matter of tone.

If it were me, and I was looking for a Marshall without being over kill like an 800, 900, 2000 would be a modded plexi 18w clone.
Quote by Sin City Sid
You have to remember, there is a 50w output difference, and they are not built the same on the inside, they do sound different. And yeah, I can find a 2204 for that price. its a matter of tone.

What are you saying?
seriously the AOR is perfect for you go to my profile I have a VH tone clip there and it's prefect for the rest of the bands you listed
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
why am I killing all these threads?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
JCM 800 used head and 1960 412 cab.

Might have to save a little more...but it will be worth it...

^use edit button
^^also wait longer than 10 mins to say you're killing the thread
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Last edited by Rock Savior at Nov 30, 2008,
Page 1 of 2