Hey guys, well since christmas is coming up I have been wanting to upgrade from my tiny Kustom KGA10, to hopefully a really nice combo (maybe even a half stack but with my budget I doubt I can find a good quality one). Anyways I want to do my research before I buy an amp, and I was wondering if I could get some advice as to which amp to get. I play mostly punk, pop-punk, and some some classic metal (stuff like maiden, every now and then I might get out of the classic and play some av7x stuff but thats just messing around). I want to start a band (I've been playing for about 3 years now) and hopefully start gigging soon, so I want an amp that can handle gigs. I've listened to my friend play on his marshall stack and that sound is just amazing, it has that nice crunch rhythm to it that I love for palm mute. My budget currently would probably be $600 at max. I tried the MG series out yesterday and I can't see why all of you hate those -.- so that is out of the question. Anything that can get me that nice tube sound with a beautiful distortion for punk is what I am aiming for. So if any of you could recommend an amp I would greatly appreciate it ?
Peavey Classic 30 combo
used Peavey XXX combo
used Mesa F-30 combo
Traynor YCV40 combo
used Laney AOR combo
used Marshall JCM900 combo

Any of these should do you pretty good.
you can do much better than an MG at that price. try a b-52 AT112, it has nice tight thrashy sounds, but as for the punk, i dont know really know what punk tone is. a good modelling amp is a possibility, but i dont really think you need to resort to modeling seeing as you only play two main types of music

EDIT: everyone above has been assuming your willing to go used, but you never said so. so are you willing to get a used amp?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Looking at the prices at my local stores, yeah I'm probably going to have to get a used amp. Oh and Highway are you sure about the peavey? I tried a valveking 212 combo at GC yesterday and I didn't like the distortion I was getting out of it?
For metal, with a lot of these amps, a good distortion/overdrive pedal will give you all the gain you need. Even on an amp with lots of drive built in, it's still good to tighten it up.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
so i believe i just so happened to fit your qualifications - im selling my peavey XXX 2x12 120W combo. far more power then anyone will ever need. and i've already been advertising for 600.
im selling it because it doesn't really handle my 7 string well, i use a 7 string hellraiser for drop A, standard E and dropped D. then i have a gibson explorer in drop C. my band covers face down by red jumpsuit apparatus, and it handles the heavy punk sound perfectly with the crunch channel. we also cover an A7X song like you said, and the ultra handles that perfectly.
it just doesn't have the right midrange to handle the sounds i want coming from drop A. however for heavy punk, classic metal, metalcore, and all other sorts of things - it does fine. PM if you are interested.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Quote by iheartmy7
so i believe i just so happened to fit your qualifications - im selling my peavey XXX 2x12 120W combo. far more power then anyone will ever need. and i've already been advertising for 600.
im selling it because it doesn't really handle my 7 string well, i use a 7 string hellraiser for drop A, standard E and dropped D. then i have a gibson explorer in drop C. my band covers face down by red jumpsuit apparatus, and it handles the heavy punk sound perfectly with the crunch channel. we also cover an A7X song like you said, and the ultra handles that perfectly.
it just doesn't have the right midrange to handle the sounds i want coming from drop A. however for heavy punk, classic metal, metalcore, and all other sorts of things - it does fine. PM if you are interested.

this. the XXX would suit you well, and if you want you could look for a 112 combo which might suit your power needs better, but nevertheless, try and buy iheartmy7's.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.