I think it's time for me to change the tuning keys/heads on my Les Paul because my strings constantly get out of tune and they look pretty rusty. I don't want to pay extra money to get somebody at the guitar store to do it, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it. I'm also worrying if the tuning keys I buy won't fit.
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider III 15 :/
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell

Quote by acidrainman64
one time i walked into a sam ash store and asked for directions to guitar center
you could just take it to a music shop and get them to find the heads you need, then do it yourself
Rockin' shit
If you're guitar is going out of tune a lot it may well be your nut. I'd have that replaced first since it's very cheap to have done and certainly worth it whether or not you end up replacing the tuners.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The nut on my guitar is actually in really bad shape. A piece of it chipped off when it fell to the floor, and it was an important piece because it had the groove for the high string to go through. I super-glued it back on though. Care to explain how the nut can cause strings to go out of tune?
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
one time i walked into a sam ash store and asked for directions to guitar center
Quote by JoKi&&Guitar
I think it's time for me to change the tuning keys/heads on my Les Paul because my strings constantly get out of tune and they look pretty rusty. I don't want to pay extra money to get somebody at the guitar store to do it, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it. I'm also worrying if the tuning keys I buy won't fit.

What looks rusty, the strings or the tuners?
Quote by JoKi&&Guitar
The nut on my guitar is actually in really bad shape. A piece of it chipped off when it fell to the floor, and it was an important piece because it had the groove for the high string to go through. I super-glued it back on though. Care to explain how the nut can cause strings to go out of tune?

I don't actually know exactly how it causes the strings to hold their tune less, but the superglued nut is definitely your problem. Get it changed ASAP.
Quote by littlephil
What looks rusty, the strings or the tuners?

The tuners.

And I think I will change the nut, thanks for the help.
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
changing tuners is a piece of cake...just unscrew at the back of the peg, and twist the nut off.......and then the opposite to put new ones on...it takes like 30 seconds
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
The nut can cause the string to go out of tune because it will pinch the string a bit and hold some slack between it and the tuner. When you bend this string or hit it hard you can release the slack and the string will go flat. Either way, a quality nut definitely improves tuning stability and arguably can help your tone and sustain.
Quote by wyldeshredder
changing tuners is a piece of cake...just unscrew at the back of the peg, and twist the nut off.......and then the opposite to put new ones on...it takes like 30 seconds

What if the old tuners had two holes for screws and the new ones have only one? Would they still work out?
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
Quote by JoKi&&Guitar
What if the old tuners had two holes for screws and the new ones have only one? Would they still work out?

If actually tuner will go into the hole in the head stock then you're fine. If you had to enlarge the hole that can be a pain.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The nut can cause the string to go out of tune because it will pinch the string a bit and hold some slack between it and the tuner. When you bend this string or hit it hard you can release the slack and the string will go flat. Either way, a quality nut definitely improves tuning stability and arguably can help your tone and sustain.

I heard that rubbing in some graphite in the grooves of the nut can help with that..?
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
It can, but if the nut is cut badly or broken then you're pretty much screwed. Still won't help the tone. The switch from plastic to bone was more dramatic than I expected.
Have a picture of your current tuners so I can see what you're talking about?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I had a problem with the perloid tuning keys on my LP where the backs were coming off them and they would malfunction. I ordered some solid chrome ones from Ebay to replace them, and haven't had a problem since, well, except for the fact that my strap malfunctioned a few months back when the lights went down after a gig and my LP hit the floor, causing the headstock to snap like a toothpick. Fortunately, a skilled luthier in the area was able to repair it. One of the tuning keys is still damaged and I need to replace it. Really all you need to look for are 3-per-side tuning keys instead of 6-in line.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
Yeah, that nut looks pretty gnarly. The strings can probably slip around a little in there, or it's causing a lot of friction.

You can get aftermarket tuners that are that style, you can just unscrew and replace. When I replaced my tuners, I got a different size, so I had to have some holes drilled. It was no big deal...I didn't do it myself, but it was super easy for the guitar tech to do it.

I'm not particularly recommending these or anything, but here's some examples.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kluson-K33-Keystone-Tuning-Machines-3-PerSide?sku=300221
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kluson-KB3L-Keystone-Locking-Tuning-Machines-3-PerSide-Bolt-Bushing?sku=300225

I'm sure other companies make some in that style...Grover is a great bet for anything.

use

[img][/img]

for pics btw
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Those look like good tuners..heard Kluson tuners are nice. And thanks for that code.
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
Those tuners look like they're in good shape, just oil them a bit (only a little) and get the nut replaced and you should be alright.
DAMN tuners got expensive

i put these on my sg a couple years ago and they were $45-$50?

anyway, better tuners help with stability, and combined with a new nut, you should be golden
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I think I'll go with Grovers just because they're the least expensive and good quality at the same time. I'm also going to Guitar Center this friday to get the nut switched, so thanks everybody.
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
Quote by JoKi&&Guitar
I think I'll go with Grovers just because they're the least expensive and good quality at the same time. I'm also going to Guitar Center this friday to get the nut switched, so thanks everybody.

Don't have GC do it, have someone who knows what they're doing replace it, have them make a bone one from scratch.
Unfortunately I don't know anybody like that .
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64
GC tends to mess up Nut Replacement alot and i'm getting alot of guitars needing another nut replacement. like the time when i got a gibson with an nut meant for an non-compensated guitar when it actually need an Earvana compensated nut.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Blacken Seas
GC tends to mess up Nut Replacement alot and i'm getting alot of guitars needing another nut replacement. like the time when i got a gibson with an nut meant for an non-compensated guitar when it actually need an Earvana compensated nut.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does compensated mean?
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Quote by acidrainman64