Title says it; I need a 12" radius block, and figured I would get one from Lmii instead of the usual ones from StewMac, as the Lmii ones have a radius on both sides. It's like getting two blocks in one, as well as being 12" long instead of SM's 8", accept that I was once told they weren't worth the money due to their low quality. Has anyone had experience with them?
I have been told positie and negative things about LMII

but only positive about stewmacs

You know if stew mac send you a faulty one they will replace it straight away, they're not stupid enough not to.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by Absent Mind
I have been told positie and negative things about LMII

but only positive about stewmacs

You know if stew mac send you a faulty one they will replace it straight away, they're not stupid enough not to.

Yeah, but for the price of one SM block, from Lmii I would be getting twice as much radiusing ability, and a much longer block to boot...I've bought a few things from Lmii before, and although they don't seem as legit as SM, I never had a problem with them either.

Still hoping someone out there who's used them will drop by...thanks for the logical observation though.
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I figured I would post my findings and put this debate to rest. I bought one of the dual radius Lmii blocks that was 12" long, and got it in the 10" and 12" radius. Here it is compared to my 8" long 16" radius StewMac block:

As you can see, the Lmii block is waaaay longer, significantly wider, and has bigger grips. I compared using the SM block to this one, and I can radius a fingerboard much for accurately and quickly due to the extra length, and obviously I can do 2 different radius' with just the one block. Here are the results I got using this block. Some of you will recognize this shot from my recent super strat build:

Nice and shiny smooth, eh?
Even if I got two separate SM blocks, it wouldn't be as accurate or fast as the results I got with the Lmii, as they are only 8" long and much thinner.

Also, the Lmii block was just under $20, whereas buying both the 10" and 12" radius blocks at SM would cost me $32. Both those prices are minus shipping. LP, those other blocks looked great, but again, they are only single radius, costing me just under $30 (still about $2 more expensive than the Lmii + shipping cost) to buy both + shipping, and at the end of the day, those are a full 5" shorter than the Lmii blocks.

So, in my mind, the Lmii blocks are the clear winner here. Just figured I'd post this up in case someone comes along one day wondering the same thing I was about these blocks.
I make my own blocks with a simple jig I made. I make 11" blocks but I could make as long of a block as I want. I have pretty much all of the radii
Is that a finished, unfretted neck? It looks gorgeous, how does it play? Sorry to be off topic.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by carousel182
I make my own blocks with a simple jig I made. I make 11" blocks but I could make as long of a block as I want. I have pretty much all of the radii

How?
Quote by carousel182
That seems like a pretty hard way to do it.

Well, no harder than having to cut a new top section for each radius, with your method.

Both work fine.
awesome. I know exactly what I am making when I get home from break! thanks a bunch!
Quote by Skeet UK
Well, no harder than having to cut a new top section for each radius, with your method.

Both work fine.

actually cutting the radii into mdf is quite simple, it requires a router (being used like a compass) and takes about 10 minutes to do all of the radii you want.
Quote by carousel182
actually cutting the radii into mdf is quite simple, it requires a router (being used like a compass) and takes about 10 minutes to do all of the radii you want.

Precisely. Ergo, neither method is hard to do.

The thread, makes it look more complicated because of all the clamps and stuff. I would just build the jig and be done with it.

Slap the router on the base board, slap a block in, rout the radius.
Yeaa, thats why I recommended my method, if its not as complicated as it looked in the pictures then im sure its fine. The thing about my method is you can route them faster.
Quote by roythereaper
Is that a finished, unfretted neck? It looks gorgeous, how does it play? Sorry to be off topic.

It's been fretted since then, although I don't know what it plays like yet as I haven't finished the build. Pics here: clicky.