My mates band has a gig on Wednesday, and for their last song they were going to cover Paradise City by Guns n Roses.
So anyway, I was talking to the singer last night and we discussed me coming on stage to play it with them. I know the song apart from the solos which doesnt matter because Im only playing the outro one (which I've heard is in Gminor? I'll be tuning down half a step).

The main question is though, how do you guys suggest me coming on without it being cheesy? Would it be too cheesy to have a wireless, and walk from the back of the crowd to the stage playing the opening chords?
now thats cheesy, just be in the front row, and get someone to give u a guitar and u start playing
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Just get on stage and start playing. If you're not well known around your area, people won't care that you are making a guest appearance.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
I play in a band thats pretty big in the local punk scene. So a few people will probably know me, or have seen my band (even though this will be a rock and roll kinda show)

I just didn't wanna do something like the walking through the crowd to the stage while playing because obviously thats cheesy. But at the same time, I thought the crowd might enjoy it a bit more if we did something other than just me walking on stage.

But what do you guys think? Should I just get on and play, or what???
Any opinions would be appreciated...
Last edited by im-dizzy at Nov 30, 2008,
Just play this version of Paradise city:Mother Intro + Paradise City Live

You could play the Mother intro then fall back to doing rhythm until the end solo.

EDIT: You could also try to play the outro like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDyeQ_W4QA8) so everyone gets time in the spotlight.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Last edited by Assasaurus at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by nowa90
now thats cheesy, just be in the front row, and get someone to give u a guitar and u start playing

+1.

Do this.
Just let'em.. "AYE, and for this song, we've got our mate with us, to perform for you, damn *your name*, so give it up".. You = "Ey folks, are ye ready for some rock'n'roll?! *sip your beer* Then let's go! *start playing*" woopti. Awesome as always :P
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Cheers guys, think I'm gonna be front row and just pick up the guitar and do the 'Mother' intro!

I found out theyve hired someone to film it for a DVD, so another reason why it shouldnt be too boring haha.
I should dress up as Slash haha! Im kidding, but I dont want it to look as though Im trying too hard to look rock and roll. But at the same time, if its for a DVD I wanna make a bit of an effort haha
Stage a fight/altercation - like start heckling their guitarist and throw something at him - then he can call you onstage if you think you're better....etc. Make it into a skit. You and the other guitarist can have a mini duel wich will end up becoming the "Mother" intro...but only if you think you can make it look convincing and unrehearsed.

And of course the singer will have a big part in selling it.

...Or not. Just thinking out loud, here.

Otherwise, just walk on stage and pick up your guitar with no explanation.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Dec 1, 2008,
Have someone set off a flash bomb on stage, and jump on from the wings at exactly the same moment, it'll look like you just magicaly appeared.
Just run up on stage, tackle one of the guitarests, take their guitar, and start playing.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by Guitartist
Stage a fight/altercation - like start heckling their guitarist and throw something at him - then he can call you onstage if you think you're better....etc. Make it into a skit. You and the other guitarist can have a mini duel wich will end up becoming the "Mother" intro...but only if you think you can make it look convincing and unrehearsed.

And of course the singer will have a big part in selling it.

...Or not. Just thinking out loud, here.

Otherwise, just walk on stage and pick up your guitar with no explanation.

That would be frikin awesome
My Gear:

Peavey T-15

Peavey Vypyr 15w

Unamed "Prarie" Acoustic

GAS List
Agile AL-2000

New England Patriots for 2009 super bowl!
Quote by im-dizzy
Cheers guys, think I'm gonna be front row and just pick up the guitar and do the 'Mother' intro!

I found out theyve hired someone to film it for a DVD, so another reason why it shouldnt be too boring haha.
I should dress up as Slash haha! Im kidding, but I dont want it to look as though Im trying too hard to look rock and roll. But at the same time, if its for a DVD I wanna make a bit of an effort haha

that's actually not a terrible idea. Since slash is popular enough, people will get the reference.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Nahh, Ive left it too late to dress up as Slash now. And to be honest, I think it might be a bit too cheesy, or people might think Im taking the p*** haha.

Im kinda nervous I mean, I'e played gigs with bands before, but only a few songs have had complicated kinda solos. And if I mess up tonight, I make my mates band look bad....which I dont wanna do!

But its tonight anyway, so I'll let you know how it goes!
Basically, the band bringing the drum kit turned up late so they were the only ones who got to soundcheck. Which meant the sound for their set sucked. They managed to sort it out literally just as I got on stage!

The song went really well though, but half the crowd had lost interest because of the **** sound
Woah. Sad to hear that. Atleast you didnt screw up xD Ah well. Technical probs are a bitch, and they come too often.

Anyways, good luck in the future. Do it again =D and get a drumkit in time :P
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!