As christmas is approaching me and my parents are getting me a new guitar to replace my ibanez gax 70. I love the tone of telecasters but im not sure they can play all the music i play. the band im in now covers a lot of van halen and led zeppelin. as well as a little metallica, jimi hendrix, guns n roses, deep purple etc. its mainly classic rock, but van halens tone is the tone i use most. i have a classic 30. what guitar do you think fits me best. also open to other choices but im not a fan of really thin necks (ibanez), emgs, and v shaped guitars.
As much as I love Tele's, I think a Les Paul would fit in better in this situation. What is your budget though and are you willing to go used?
go with the les paul...the tele would be better for country and some light overdrive.
The Conservative youth of America!
Les paul
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
That's REALLY tough. Maybe a tele with a neck 'bucker? I dunno, I think you could pull most of that off with a modern spec tele. Check out the Baja tele, it has all kinds of little switches that can get a TON of sounds.
Quote by metalscott76
go with the les paul...the tele would be better for country and some light overdrive.

Ummmm no. That's just what everyone thinks. A tele can do SO much more than that. They actually handle high gain VERY well.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If you can deal with not being exactly perfect, I think for everything except for Metallica, a tele would be better. If you can deal with playing Metallica and other heavier songs on the GAX or distorting them to the point you drain the guitars personality so it can technically play anything semidecently though, tele.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Budget?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by metalscott76

James Root from Slipknot and Stone Sour plays a flat top Tele, and that's most certainly not country or light overdrive lol.
Quote by VertigodowN
dude you are spoiled as F**k

im paying for most of the guitar. i was originally looking at an edwards les paul. and i dont mind being perfect. do you think the tele can handle van halen songs with a tone somewhat like his. i love how the tele nails led zep and pretty much everything else i play.
I can play Hot For Teacher(albeit I'm nowhere near fast enough for most of it. ) and You Really Got Me fine on my strat, I assume a tele would also be fine. Best try it out though, in addition to my amps overdrive I have three extra gain stages I can add(albeit I only ever use one of them at a time), but I definitely think if your fine with not being exact, it should be fine.

i definatly dont mind being exact. its my tone. i need to find a music shop that stocks classic 30s around me so i can try the tele on it.
You could always haul your amp with.

But yeah, if you don't mind that and don't mind not quite sounding great for Metal stuff, the tele should be excellent.

i mean the only metal i play is seek and destroy. ill see if i can take my amp to the store. we have a great music store here. they have probably 100 different telecasters, great workers, sound proof rooms to crank tube amps, not everyone can try guitar/amp you have to actually be interested, free service and setup
I'd say the ideal solution would be a double humbucker Telecaster with a Swineshead AMP in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Stag Mag in the neck, and coil splits for both pickups

The reason for this is these pickups are made with individual pole pieces, so when they're split they do become true single coils - unlike normal humbuckers which are built with bar magnets and will simply never quite get a real single coil tone. The Swineshead is made with Alnico V magnets (medium output humbucker/high output single coil) and the Seymour Duncan is made with Alnico II magnets (lower output humbucker/medium output single coil), so putting them in the bridge and neck respectively should give you a wide range of tones available, from the typical Telecaster bridge twang to a thick classic rock solo humbucker type tone plus everything else in between.

It'll be more effort of course than just buying something straight off the shelf, but I think it'd be worth it if you really do play and need such a variety.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
the lp will be able to produce tones closer to those bands but if u love the tone of a tele get the tele not the lp. its all about buying a guitar that feels nice and creates a sound u made urself and like personaly instead of trying to replicate sounds.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by silversoulcage
James Root from Slipknot and Stone Sour plays a flat top Tele, and that's most certainly not country or light overdrive lol.

For the last ****ing time:
IT HAS EMGs.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
i know, this will sound very weird but just trust me...
why don't you go to a guitar store, and TRY a tele and a les paul through a classic 30, then determine what you think would suite you better!!!
i know this is ground breaking advice...
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Les Paul out of the two, but PRS with a trem ! Extremely versatile and best build quality and playability around.
I'd say out of the two, get the LP. However, it's personal preference and what feels best to you. You mentioned Led Zeppelin, and even though Page is associated with the LP, he actually recorded the first Led Zep album on a Telecaster. So just keep that in mind - just because it's not traditionally a hard rock guitar, doesn't mean it can't be used as such.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
A Les Paul for sure it a lot more versatile and a better choice for what you want. You could get a Tele with HH configuration but I just do not think they have the tone a LP has.

John
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I'd say out of the two, get the LP. However, it's personal preference and what feels best to you. You mentioned Led Zeppelin, and even though Page is associated with the LP, he actually recorded the first Led Zep album on a Telecaster. So just keep that in mind - just because it's not traditionally a hard rock guitar, doesn't mean it can't be used as such.

****ing muppet the thread is nearly a whole year dead...
man page used a lot the telecaster (eg. stairway to heaven solo)
i would suggest an HH tele