all right. now that i am serious about getting my build going i have been overwhelmed in questions.
first

on the JEM's there are those nice grooves behind the fine tunners. how do i do that? i am guessing i start with the router shallow and deepening it as i move along. but how do i keep the grooves uniform?

second
can a standard fender bolt on pocket be sufficient to set the neck not bolt it?

thanks
I don't know about the first question. Maybe make a jig that you would move your router along?

As for the second--no. Don't glue a neck into a blot-on neck pocket.
ahhh!
i just typed out everything in that other thread and when i posted it said thread deleted and it all went

Anyway, i'll sum it up...
No you can't do a bolt on route and put a bolt on neck in there with glue, its not strong enough.

With the floyd rose jem thing, thats nearly impossible if your doing this one:

so i would reccomend you just do this one:
Quote by Duval67
I don't know about the first question. Maybe make a jig that you would move your router along?

As for the second--no. Don't glue a neck into a bolt-on neck pocket.

fixed
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
alright ill have to think about how to do that route then ill think of somthing. you will all see how it goes at the end of december when i start.

and where can i see some templates of a set neck pocket? or maybe i should just do a bolt on. that doesnt feel right on a les paul though.

and how do i know where to glue the fretboard on the neck blank? anywhere just the end of it is the end of the neck? and when i see an overhanging fretboard (fret board longer than the neck) is that to have 24 frets on a 21 fret scaled guitar?

sorry for the noob bombardment. i thought i had everything i needed until i started thinking really hard about it today.

its kinda easier than a bolt on

this is a better pic:

the end of the neck which you can see hanging out ^ is usally covered up by a pickup as thats where the pickup route is placed

In the V, the bit under the fretboard that goes into the neck pocket is usually longer so that it fits underneath the neck pickup, which means the neck pocket route is usually further towards the bridge
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by yanko693
alright ill have to think about how to do that route then ill think of somthing. you will all see how it goes at the end of december when i start.

and where can i see some templates of a set neck pocket? or maybe i should just do a bolt on. that doesnt feel right on a les paul though.

and how do i know where to glue the fretboard on the neck blank? anywhere just the end of it is the end of the neck? and when i see an overhanging fretboard (fret board longer than the neck) is that to have 24 frets on a 21 fret scaled guitar?

sorry for the noob bombardment. i thought i had everything i needed until i started thinking really hard about it today.

Don't worry about it.
We've all been through it.
I'm doing bolt-on for my LP, but yeah, I can see why you wouldn't feel it's right.
I'm sure you could find a neck pocket template via google. But I'm in the midst of some homework, so I'm not going to find it for you.

For the fretboard, you have to glue it so that the distance between the nut and 12th fret is the same as the distance between the 12th fret and the bridge. I'm sure you know about scale length if you've done your research.
And I think that generally, the overhang is there on guitars with higher numbers of frets. It doesn't really make any difference so long as the scale length is right.

Hopefully you can make sense of some of what I said. I'm sure someone else here will be of better assisstance.
good to go as soon as these darn holidays are over with i can start building. right now i'm too busy with school and sports. (stupid swim practice)
Quote by yanko693
good to go as soon as these darn holidays are over with i can start building. right now i'm too busy with school and sports. (stupid swim practice)

Yeah, basketball and work prevent me from doing anything.

Good luck with it all though! Looking forward to seeing it get started.
Quote by yanko693
you sir saved the day. thank you

Just your average, neighborhood Spid......wait I never liked that comic.

You're welcome mate