Hey UG, Im a senior in high school. Ive been in a couple bands but nothing stable. I play guitar. Anyways, me and a bunch of buddies have written all these random songs while we were hanging out, doing what high school kids do, ya know. Just funny stuff, nothing serious. Some are even raps.

I got the idea the other day of getting the guys together and recording all these songs and making a cd for the end of the year or whatever. I dont have any recording equipment as of now. But what kind of things would I need to be able to record and edit stuff?
get a cheap, but decent computer mic and download the program audacity. thats probably the most basic and inexpensive way to record and layer tracks
DECRESCENDO
A good all-around microphone and an device that can connect the mic to the computer, from there it's computer software, and Audacity is a great program for that.
A high quality mic first off. Make sure to get a decent one otherwise the quality is going to suck. As for recording instruments theres several ways you can do it, the easiest which is just to mic it, though you may suffer a loss of quality pending on the microphone you buy, which is why you should get a good one. Try an AT2020 its what my band uses to record and it works very well, second you'll need a good computer with a sound card to handle the quality and an editing program, we use Reason 4 and it works very well, we use something else as well but to be honest I'm not sure what it is. Recording stuff can be very complicated or insanely difficult depending on the amount of things you're trying to do.

For just some bare bones recordings, simple things and nothing serious like you said before just get a mic and a program, i think they make mic's now with USB attachments at the end of them so you can run it strait to you're computer otherwise you'll need an adapter. There like 50 cents at radio shack lol.

Anyway hope that helps out some.
well, i just got all of this the other day; lexicon lambda, Sterling st51 Shure sm57. I havn't used any of it yet as I'm in college and we're finishing up the semester so I don't have much time right now, but I'm planning on trying to record 3 covers over break and finish painting my strat. As for editing, I'm running Cubase LE4 (came with the Lambda thing), Audacity, and Sony ACID Music Studio. The Sony program is not that great. I like the other two, both have pros and cons, everyone seems to have an opinion about which is a better DAW

EDIT: even though I havn't used my setup yet I am really happy with it. Everything I bought came from companies I am familiar with and it all got good reviews. Also, know I did spend a decent amount of money but I've got x-mas coming up and I got 12 month free financing at guitar center. All in all I think I got quality stuff for a reasonable price, considering the price of recording gear is pretty high and I bought the right stuff for me. I will have enough inputs/features that I won't be wanting more but I didn't go too over the top.
Last edited by wyantsm at Nov 30, 2008,
USB mics are generally fairly bad quality. I'd get a regular condenser mic of some sort (Rode NT1A or an AKG C3000) and then either a USB or firewire interface with 1 or 2 inputs. You can use software like cubase or logic to record through that, or Reaper if you're looking for free software.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Alright thanks for the input guys.
I actually already have a decent mic. I didnt mention it, but its one I bought about a year ago that I use every so often when Im just jamming or whatever.

Ive heard good things about Audacity so Ill prolly try that.
Would it be better to get a recording interface instead of just running the mic into the computer and mic'ing the amp?
Quote by JR2204
Alright thanks for the input guys.
I actually already have a decent mic. I didnt mention it, but its one I bought about a year ago that I use every so often when Im just jamming or whatever.

Ive heard good things about Audacity so Ill prolly try that.
Would it be better to get a recording interface instead of just running the mic into the computer and mic'ing the amp?

Thats a good question.

For electric guitars I run mine through my pedal board and then into a "recording interface".

I just mic acoustics though. I think it sounds better personally.

For simplicity though, just mic it, it's not like it sounds terrible or anything just when record with a live mic make sure nobody is talking or acting a fool in the background or you'll here it in you're take. It sucks when someone else talking ****s up a perfect take.
Alright. Got the basics.

Two last questions then Im done guys. lol
1. I was planning on buying an decent 8 track here soon just to put ideas down on and whatnot. But would there be any benefits in the recording process of having one? If that makes sense. My bad
2. I have a Shure mic. Not sure what model. Would that be good enough or should I get a condensor?
Quote by JR2204
Alright. Got the basics.

Two last questions then Im done guys. lol
1. I was planning on buying an decent 8 track here soon just to put ideas down on and whatnot. But would there be any benefits in the recording process of having one? If that makes sense. My bad
2. I have a Shure mic. Not sure what model. Would that be good enough or should I get a condensor?

I'm honestly not sure of a good answer to either of those questions lol.