I'm getting a new bass and a new amp.

I've been thinking about getting an American Standard Fender Jazz bass and a GK Backline 210 combo.

I can't really go much higher than that in terms of price.

Do you think that my money would be well-spent if if bought those two? Do you have any suggestions on what else i could buy? I've heard that you should spend more money on the amp than on the bass, is that true?

Thanks

BWT, what is the difference between a 2x10" and a 1x15"?
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
Last edited by Ahlers at Nov 30, 2008,
Ideally, you should spend more money on your amp than your bass, but I think it is worth getting that American Jazz. I don't know much about the Backline series so I can't help you there, but you are making a very good choice for your bass! To answer your other question, a 1x15 is one 15'' speaker which typically more bassier. A 2x10 is two 10'' speakers which are more middy and punchy.
the backline are not such good amps in my opinions and again you really should be paying more for amp then bass. If your going to be gigging you deffinitly should get better amp. Maybe go for about 750 for bass and the rest for amp.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
So you've got $1600-$1700 to work with? If I were you, I'd drop $700 for the amp to get an Acoustic stack. (this head/cab and this cab) That will be all the amp you need, and you can easily get a good bass for $900-$1000. Based on the music in your profile, I'd recommend a bass with MM pickup in the bridge...maybe a Brubaker Brute?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Ahlers
BWT, what is the difference between a 2x10" and a 1x15"?

If it's for backline work you start with a 15" and add a 2x10 later not the other way round.
Try them out in a music store with other noise going on, what sounds sufficient on its own will sound totaly different when the rest of the band kick in.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
If it's for backline work you start with a 15" and add a 2x10 later not the other way round.
Try them out in a music store with other noise going on, what sounds sufficient on its own will sound totaly different when the rest of the band kick in.

Well you can start with a 2x10, just depends on what sound you want. A 2x10 will probably be smaller than a 1x15 too, just something to consider.

I have just a 4x10" and really like my tone right now.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Well you can start with a 2x10, just depends on what sound you want. A 2x10 will probably be smaller than a 1x15 too, just something to consider.

I have just a 4x10" and really like my tone right now.

Of course you can and I'm not saying that 2x10s are useless but the original concept of a 2x10 combo was either to be augmented with PA or by a 1x15" cab.
A 4x10 will be suitable for most live situations and in theory move more air than a single 15".
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Maybe you can answer this question.

Which is louder, a 1x15, a 4x10 or a 2x10. All using the same amplifier and the same output level?

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman

Which is louder, a 1x15, a 4x10 or a 2x10. All using the same amplifier and the same output level?
Answer later I'm off on a gig right now.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
410>212>115>210 generally, but it depends on the cab. There are some very loud 210's out there. (a GK backline isn't one of them)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Jonnomainman

Not a simple question to answer, first you must understand the difference between loudness and volume, loudnes is decibels, volume is volume of sound.

The next factor is the frequency at which you are operating, down at 41.2 Hz (Bottom E) a fifteen may well be louder that a 4x10 whereas at 110 Hz (A 2nd fret G string) the 4x10 will probably be louder.

A 4x12 cab with 25 watt speakers will appear louder than a 1x12 100 watt cab receiving the same power due to the greater volume of sound being produced.

Another important factor is loudspeaker effeiciency across the audio spectrum that it is designed for, the old and useless 1K @ 1watt @ 1metre method was worthless as it was way off the scale of a bass neck, todays figures tend to be more representitive of actual use and requirements.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Cheers for explaining that

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner