if you got a small tube like an epiphone valve junior, and ran it into a fair sized solid state with a good clean channel - would it give the same noise when cranked as a tube? or would it still do the solid state thing where when cranked it sounds clipped?
are you just using the solid state as a cab? because then it would just be the speaker being used and not the solid state amp.
Solid state only sounds clipped if you pump the volume over what it's rated at.

People usually tend to bash solid states if they don't know how to use them properly at all, or try to use them like a tube amp.

They're just not even slightly the same animal.
Solid state amps with massive headroom can sound great. Really responsive to pedals and the like. But running your VJ as a pseudo stompbox probably wouldn't be the greatest idea.

and comment above, spot on. I've got the much hated Frontman 212, and I like it's headroom. I've pilfered switches and LEDs out of the footswitch because it NEVER gets used, and running a particular chain of effects can sound very very good.
Just built a Noisy Cricket too. It's great. I mean, a seriously awesome little amp.
you cant do it without blowing the Vjr.

you Can use the combo's speaker, like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It would make a noise that sounded a lot like a solid state amp's input stage frying, and possibly the sound of a tube amps output transformer dying.

In other words, don't do it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^i thought it might sound like seagulls crying.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

If you can run the EVJ preamp into the SS amp's power amp, it might work. Otherwise, just use the SS amp's speakers.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Basicly, don't bother, either get a decent size valve amp or a decent transistor amp...

What about getting a transistor amp with a valve preamp stage?
well i've got what i consider to be a good solid state amp - its a peavey bandit 112, ive been encouraged to look into a tube amp - but to be honest, im not interested in spending like a grand on a marshall stack or something so i figured i'd see if i could get the sound any cheaper.
well, if you want a 5 W tube amp for practice, and can access the wires that run to the speaker in that combo, then you can solder a 1/4" jack to the speaker, and use the combo as a cab.

it's not hard at all.

if you want a gig tube amp then check out used peavey classic 30s or similar, since you already like peavey.

edit: ironman
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

just run it into the cd in if it has one, not the input for the guitar or itll feedback like a bitch
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by ac/dc752
just run it into the cd in if it has one, not the input for the guitar or itll feedback like a bitch

Thats pretty much the worst idea I have ever heard..

Say goodbye to your bandit..
did you mean a head. cause i really thought you meant the head.

most guys who buy the vj and ask about combining it wt a combo, ask this question, that's why i assumed that's what you were talking about.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

it may seem quite obvious by now - but i dont really know anything about amps, plenty about guitar, but not much about amps.

so maybe the easiest way is to say this - if you wanted a big tube noise, without having to pay big tube sort of money - would it be possible to use a smaller tube amp and run it through a big one? if so how would you do this?
A stock valve jr has no FX loop so only output is the speaker out. This run into a Instrument input or CD input would fry the SS amp. And as the Jr wouldnt have a load fry it to. Just as the bird says. If you want a tube preamp buy one or a tube stomp box.
the only way you could do what you're thinking without definitely damaging anything (and i'm still not entirely sure whether it's safe or not) would be to go from the FX loop send in the tube amp to the FX loop return in the solid state, unfortunately i don't think the EVJ has an FX loop, and you'd lose the tube power-amp tone by doing this, so all you'd get is a very very sterile sounding EVJ tone, only louder.

Solid state preamp into tube poweramp, however, is something i'd like to try. (considers connecting my Torque SS amp's FX send into my VC30's FX return... although i'm not too sure if this is a good idea so probably won't do it)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
or you can pick up one of those crate V series tube amps that they are practically giving away on MF.

trying to make a 5W tube amp into a big tube amp isnt going to work.

and i asked if it was the head. because, if you get the head, you ca use the speaker in your combo.
which i guess i've said like 4 times now.

but plugging a 5w tube amp into a 112, wouldnt give you a big tube amp sound, even if there was a way to do it without breaking both amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62