Ok, do you have to put your thumb over the top for bends? Also, why do people critize guitarists who "bend with their fingers and not their wrist". Does it matter as long as you are bending to the right pitch?

thanks.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
In a word, no. It doesn't matter.

Doing the thumb over top thing (baseball bat style) lets you exert more pressure into your bends, which is why some guitarists prefer it. Basically, do it however it works best for you, there's no right way or wrong way, it's all about what lets you get to the notes you want.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
In a word, no. It doesn't matter.

Doing the thumb over top thing (baseball bat style) lets you exert more pressure into your bends, which is why some guitarists prefer it. Basically, do it however it works best for you, there's no right way or wrong way, it's all about what lets you get to the notes you want.

So if someone criticizes the way Im doing my bends I should just ignore them as long as Im hitting the right notes?
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Bingo. At the end of the day, how you do it doesn't matter because the notes are the end result. As long as they sound well and are clean, you could be playing with your nose for what it's worth.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I personaly think its better to use your fingers for bends because it exerts more pressure on the fingers and not the wrist.
Which will 1. Streanghen the fingers
and 2. Make your fingers more intelligent to pitch bending.
the wrist thing is 'good form' but who cares in the end - as long as it doesnt hurt and the sound is fine
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Unlike everyone else so far I'd recommend the thumb over the top, and bend with the fulcrum-wrist.

I can (and do) use both - depending on the situation, but if you are still developing as a player you owe it to yourself to learn both. Once both techniques are well developed you'll find uses for both.

Of particular note, I find it (almost) impossible to pre-bend (bending a note before playing it so that you can play the bent note and then release - sounds like a reverse bend) in tune using my fingers, but using my wrist its no problem.
Bending with the strength in your fingers is actually not good. It's difficult because you don't have a lot of muscles in your fingers. You have less control over the vibrato as well. Guitarists with good bending and vibrato make a hand movement with their fingers angled, not straight.

So you can say, who cares, but this is the only way you will get a good result.

As for the thumb, you can do the right motion with the thumb behind the neck, but it gives you more leverage.