So i've been looking for a low wattage tube amp for quite a while...I was in Lillo's music store, and asked about low watt tube amps. they only had a peavey royal 8, was a bit fizzy...but he did say that they had a vintage fender. turned out to be a vibro champ! end of the story is i bought it

It sounds really good, but it doesn't really break up well? i had the volume all the way up...and not much break up at all and i've read that they usually did quite well...how long should i have left the tubes to warm up?

anyways i'm very happy with it, though will probably get a bad monkey tube overdrive, and wanted to share this with UG
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
pics or it didn't happen
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Yeah, pics and clips nao.
What year is it?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I don't know the year, serial number is A52738
heres your damn pics :P

Quote by Mister.Y

probably too much....but 450 CDN? it was down from 600...I don't know if that's horrendously overpriced...but i love it so...whatever!
Quote by Mister.Y

A silverface. Nice!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ok all, I've got a question.
So when i tested it in the store, i obviously didn't crank it. When i got home, after playing for 15 minutes letting the tubes warm up i did, and the break up wasn't great...looked in the back and the tube on the right was glowing blue, with an orange 'spark' but the one on the right is just the orange 'spark'...is it a blown tube? the volume also seemed to be lacking, which doesn't seem right in a bedroom, even for a 5 (6) Watt...

Thanks
Warren
Quote by Mister.Y

Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
Ok all, I've got a question.
looked in the back and the tube on the right was glowing blue, with an orange 'spark' but the one on the right is just the orange 'spark'...is it a blown tube?

Are the two tubes you are referring to identical otherwise? Same size etc? Once warmed up they should glow the same. If the second tube that is only orange is otherwise identical, you may have a bad tube thar. If the second tube is smaller, it's a preamp tube and won't get the blue glow that the larger power tube has. Congrats, great little amp IMO.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Ok, if i say 'first' i'm talking form the left.

There are two tubes hanging down, the one on the right glows blue, with an orange glowing filament, the one on the left only has an orange glowing filament. The tubes appear to be the same size, definately the same length, both appear to be the same thickness...and i'm assuming even though it's a fender, it should have fairly decent break up right? cause even at ten it's not that loud, and kind of muddy (on neck pickup) with no real breakup...i might not be used to the amp but i do think it's a tube?
Quote by Mister.Y

Get a matched pair and replace them. I think your suspicions are correct but I'm no amp tech by any means. If I'm wrong, it never hurts to have an extra pair of power tubes for the occasion when one does blow. (Then replace them both, that's a point of contention with some, others will agree). The amp should have break up somewhere between 6 and 10 on the dial unless you are using very low output pups. Plus the neck pup shouldn't be muddy, just less treble but a fuller all around sound both bass and treble wise. (Obviously not as high pitched and spanky as the bridge.)
Ok heres some pictures of the tubes, and the back in general

Two tubes in question. one on left = small orange spark on bottom, on right has blue glow, orange spark top and bottom

This tube was glowing

This one wasn't

I don't want to replace the tubes if their fine, cause i already stretched the budget to get the amp, but from what i've heard on the site, if i'm losing volume (i never had it, but i'm assuming what the volume should be), as well as no tube break up...tube issue?
Quote by Mister.Y

Those are your power tubes. They should both have a blue and orange glow when warmed up. If you are only getting a little orange out of one, it's toast. That amp should be pretty loud when cranked. Since you bought it used for a premium price, ask the shop that sold it to you to change the power tubes out and bias the thing. It's a small price for them in light of what you paid for the amp. Great amp bro, I would love to have one of those.
Thank you so much gregs! i'm new to tube amps, and you've really helped me out on this. I can't wait to change them out then! cause i'll be honest, i wasn't really AMAZED with the tone...but if one tube was blown, i'll forgive it :P
Thanks again mate!
warren
Quote by Mister.Y

I would say get a new tube set.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
^Although I agree that the power valve is probably the problem, you shouldn't really be making the decision by what colour the valves glow. I've had valves that glow bright blue, purple, orange...all normal valves. There's no real colour they "should" glow.
^Agreed, and one of those big tubes is the rectifier, the champ only has one output tube if I'm not mistaken.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well i'm going to take it back to the shop and get htem to check the tubes, and see what the issue. i only used the colour as a comparison as one was actually 'glowing' and the one on the left on had the orange filament...
Quote by Mister.Y

Quote by bartdevil_metal
^Although I agree that the power valve is probably the problem, you shouldn't really be making the decision by what colour the valves glow. I've had valves that glow bright blue, purple, orange...all normal valves. There's no real colour they "should" glow.

I disagree with you. 6L6's glow orange on the top and bottom and blue across the middle, el84's glow only orange but top and bottom. 12ax7's, 12au7's glow a dimmer orange. I have not seen a purple glowing tube yet but some kinds may. (also people are color blind and may see blue as purple). I am only speaking from personal experience with my amps. Fender made a number of different types of champs over the years with the number of power tubes varying by the wattage. Some champs were 5 watts while others 15 watts. A DRRI at 22 watts has 2 power tubes. Still his amp should have some break up at some point and he has none from what he is saying. The rectifier tube would likely still have the cover like his other preamp tubes and wouldn't be the same size as a power tube, it would likely be a 12ax7, 12at7, or 12au7.
Well, all I can say is that despite your comprehensive knowledge of valves, I have had a set of 6L6GC's that glowed purple and my current set of EL34s glow blue at the tops (I'm not colour blind). The end result is something we can agree on though, his valves need replacing.
No worries Bart, my 6L6GC's are blue and orange, maybe I'm the color blind one! (Or too much of a Bears fan). It's better when we don't all agree anyway. I wouldn't say my knowledge is all that comprehensive, I just know what I see and hear in my gear.

Edit: Sorry should have called you Lee, all apologies.
wow. I am so glad that i have access to the wealth of knowledge in these forum!
Thank you for helping me out, I will take the amp in as soon as i can!
So is 450 a good price for this?
Quote by Mister.Y

^^No worries greg, you're the first person to take heed of my message!

I don't know what the going rate is, but I would willingly pay £225 ($450) for it. And you have, so I suppose it doesn't matter that much haha.

Wow, what a useless sentence. What I should have said was, wait until someone who knows comes on and tells you. Someone like Goolz, he seems to know the price of everything
It's a good deal if it's a good deal for you. I see them for less in the US, but maybe not so up by you. I have one on my clist for about $275, but no telling what condition it's in really until you try it. Markets vary by supply and demand, you wanted it and it was there.

^Thanks Lee.
well, everything is different in Canada. We shall see when the tubes are replaced how great it is, but i'm happy with the purchase, and the find. you don't find many small tube amps up here, especially vintage ones at lower prices.
Quote by Mister.Y

Ok, so took it in today, and they guy said the tube and rectifier were ok, but the tube sockets weren't that great, so he cleaned them out and adjusted everything, tightened anything that was loose etc. And one of the 12AX7 preamp tubes was out, and he said he found a fender one lieing around...new old stock, he said it was probably as old as the amp!
It sounds good now, though i think i will have to get a tube overdrive like the badmonkey to get into Zeppelin kind of range...but i'm still very happy!
Quote by Mister.Y

That's good. He gave you an old stock preamp tube for free? Nice!
Now record clips!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
well i'm really not that confident in my skills to be quite honest with you lol. and for recording, i have my cell phone 'recorder' which probably will be terrible, or taking a video on my digital camera which probably wouldn't be great...
Quote by Mister.Y

Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
well i'm really not that confident in my skills to be quite honest with you lol. and for recording, i have my cell phone 'recorder' which probably will be terrible, or taking a video on my digital camera which probably wouldn't be great...

Digital camera is perfect, doit nao.

We don't care how good of a player you are, we just wanna hear the amp cause we're crazy like that.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Hey glad you got it fixed! Now if we can just get Wes's Gibby fixed we'll be all good.
Quote by gregs1020
Hey glad you got it fixed! Now if we can just get Wes's Gibby fixed we'll be all good.

Yup

Recording with a digital camera is fine. It's a low wattage amp anyways, so you won't hit the camera mic too bad with volume.
And as for playing skills, we could care less. We just want to hear the amp
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by gregs1020
The rectifier tube would likely still have the cover like his other preamp tubes and wouldn't be the same size as a power tube, it would likely be a 12ax7, 12at7, or 12au7.

Have you ever seen a rectifier tube? I guessing no. Are you saying the rectifier tube would be a 12ax7, 12at7, or 12au7? Stop posting, you obviously know very little about tube amps and giving out poor information.
k well here's a video...pretty terrible i had to work after it so it's not great, but here it is anyways

Quote by Mister.Y

Sounding good
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, it woulda have sounded better with some better playing, but thank you, i'm really enjoying it
Quote by Mister.Y