ok, so if i get a mic and put it up to my amp, how does the sound get recorded and reach my computer? would i use a chord that could plug into my usb? then would i be able to use a free program such as audacity to record?
Well, you can do that method , or you can get a computer microphone for like 15$ at wal-mart or office depot er w/e, and just plug it into your mic jack on your comp, then use audacity.

Theres a 3rd way, but its a little less common to come by ( i think) You need, A) a headphone slot on your amp, if u dont have that, disregard this option, B) a cable which has 1 end that plugs into your computer mic and a 2nd end that youd put into the headphone jack of your amp, you wouldnt hear anything through the amp, but there would be no extra noise cuz itd be directly from your amp to your computer program (audacity)
Poop.

Yes, poop.
would that be using your sound card to record? i've heard very bad things about using your computers sound card for recording.
If you're a little more serious about recording, I would suggest getting an I/O interface. You plug the mic into one side and the other side gets plugged into your USB or Firewire port, so it's like the middleman I guess.

You can get decent starter ones for $100.
Quote by xramen
is an I/O interface the same as an audio interface...?

Yes.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by MattAnderson111
Well, you can do that method , or you can get a computer microphone for like 15$ at wal-mart or office depot er w/e, and just plug it into your mic jack on your comp, then use audacity.

Theres a 3rd way, but its a little less common to come by ( i think) You need, A) a headphone slot on your amp, if u dont have that, disregard this option, B) a cable which has 1 end that plugs into your computer mic and a 2nd end that youd put into the headphone jack of your amp, you wouldnt hear anything through the amp, but there would be no extra noise cuz itd be directly from your amp to your computer program (audacity)

Both of those are garbage.

To get a nice sound from a mic plugged into your computer, you want to go with an audio interface. This bypasses the stock sound card in your machine. You connect your microphone to the interface, then connect the interface to your computer using Firewire or USB. You could also install a PCI interface, which is a new soundcard, albeit one built for recording, but this involves taking your computer apart, and many of these don't have preamps. Easier to opt for a USB or Firewire unit in my opinion.

Did you have a budget in mind, with a view to buy or were you just curious?
There is poetry in despair.