hey, my strings have been on my strat awhile now(2 months) and theyre rusty(like usual). so, before i change them i was just wondering. is there any way to get the rust off the strings? i really dont wana pay alot for some expensive cleaner. areere any household cleaners that would work? also, my maple fretboard is very dirty. is there any way (hopefully cheap) to clean the fretboard? please help me out here! thanks for your answers!!!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
can anybody help me out here?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
A cleaner is cheap actually. Mine was like 7 dollars.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by f22master
hey, my strings have been on my strat awhile now(2 months) and theyre rusty(like usual). so, before i change them i was just wondering. is there any way to get the rust off the strings? i really dont wana pay alot for some expensive cleaner. areere any household cleaners that would work? also, my maple fretboard is very dirty. is there any way (hopefully cheap) to clean the fretboard? please help me out here! thanks for your answers!!!

Hmm, why do you want to clean your strings if you're just getting new ones? lol. Cleaner is very cheap, unless your on a Somalian budget.

Thanks for reminding me, my fretboard is collecting some nasty particles, it needs a cleaning.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
^ i want to know how to keep my next set of strings clean

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
and what can i use to clean my rosewood fretboard on my acoustic and my Warlock?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
and what can i use to clean my rosewood fretboard on my acoustic and my Warlock?

Lemon oil. Get it for rosewood fretboards. For your strings, just give it a wipe with a cloth everytime just after you play your guitar. It'll last longer.
make sure you don't use lemon oil on any maple fretboards.

anyway, I like Fingerease, a quick spray of that on my guitar and I'm good to go for quite a while.
Quote by strat335
make sure you don't use lemon oil on any maple fretboards.

then what CAN i use on maple?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Umm not sure. some store bought product specifically for guitars will do just fine for about 7 dollars. Finger Ease, Fast Fret, Ernie Ball brand Wonder Wipes, etc. Also, when you put on a fresh set of strings, simply wiping the strings down with an old T shirt or rag after playing will get the dirt/sweat and chemicals off the strings, prolonging string life.

I can't remember the specific reason why to not use lemon oil on maple fretboards, but I do know that it's not good
Last edited by strat335 at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by strat335
Umm not sure. some store bought product specifically for guitars will do just fine for about 7 dollars. Finger Ease, Fast Fret, Ernie Ball brand Wonder Wipes, etc. Also, when you put on a fresh set of strings, simply wiping the strings down with an old T shirt or rag after playing will get the dirt/sweat and chemicals off the strings, prolonging string life.

I can't remember the specific reason why to not use lemon oil on maple fretboards, but I do know that it's not good

lem oil is essentially for moisturising your fretboard. You should use it once in a blue moon. It is not for cleaning anything.

what your supposed to do is clean the (rosewood) fretboard with mild soapy water and if it looks dry, apply a tiny amount of lem oil.

this is because rosewood fretboards are not varnished or laquered in any way and they will lose moisture over the years.

Maple fretboards ARE varnished, which means the lem oil wont soak into the board. (unless your talking about a musicman axis or peavy wolfgang evh which are supposed to be untreated and will unavoidably become dirty)

You can just clean your maple fretboard with soapy water. But usually they do tend to look a bit battered and dirty when the varnish/laquer wears slightly. Its part of what they are about. I bought my strat BECAUSE of this... gives your geet character
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
to keep your strings clean:

1)wash and dry your hands before you start playing so they're nice and clean.
2) wipe the strings down when you have finished playing

to clean up rusty strings:
1) get some contact cleaner with lube
2) Spray directly onto a cloth and wrap the cloth under the string and clean the full lenght of the string until no more gack comes off 'em
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
also, because it's finished, you can use polish on mapple boards, just like you do painted surfaces.

putting oil on a finished board, like maple, will just stain. the oil will just smear around.

like said, only use lemon oil a couple times a year.

and use a rag to clean.

you can clean strings with steel wool, if you cover the board behind it with a rag, and keep the metal bits away from the pickups.
or you can use an alcohol based product, again, you DONT get any on the neck, or finished parts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
also, because it's finished, you can use polish on mapple boards, just like you do painted surfaces.

putting oil on a finished board, like maple, will just stain. the oil will just smear around.

like said, only use lemon oil a couple times a year.

and use a rag to clean.

you can clean strings with steel wool, if you cover the board behind it with a rag, and keep the metal bits away from the pickups.
or you can use an alcohol based product, again, you DONT get any on the neck, or finished parts.

Yikes! wont getting fragments of steel wool into your pickups and cause problems?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
yikes! if you let the steel get all over the magnets it'll stick to them!

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

so dont let the steel get all over the magnets
p*ss taking **^&^'ers!!

EDIT: nooooo, i meant, if it gets into the coils won! it short???
Quote by cuthbertg
p*ss taking **^&^'ers!!

EDIT: nooooo, i meant, if it gets into the coils won! it short???

im not sure mate - the wire in the coils has a coating of plastic, so i cant see how the filings would get in to short it.

but seriously, I wasnt taking the piss when I said dont let the metal filings get in there... cover the pick ups with a large piece of paper or something.

its like... "wont you die if you get run over?" well, maybe, so dont get run over ;-)
it's not going to short anything.
it's just messy so like, dont get run over, use a rag to cover the pups or something high tech like that.

^ not really. sometimes, depending on the environment, strings rust early.
strings arent going to harm a guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
You really need to just change the strings. It's not good for the guitar to keep them on like that.

yeah, theres like no way dirty/old/rusty strings can hurt your guitar
Lemon oil will make your maple board grow green stuff I just use warm water on the neck, board and body now..
Quote by random_B-RAD
Buy GHS fast fret for around 10 bucks.

fast fret is basicvaly just bees wax. Im not saying dont use it, or its not worth it, cos its a handy lil applicator in a box, but if you cant afford it, just use mr sheen or some other furniture polish that contains bees wax.
Quote by hippyheaven1
fast fret is basicvaly just bees wax. Im not saying dont use it, or its not worth it, cos its a handy lil applicator in a box, but if you cant afford it, just use mr sheen or some other furniture polish that contains bees wax.

You might find it's silicon mate, not beeswax
Quote by cuthbertg
You might find it's silicon mate, not beeswax

are you sure about that?
Quote by hippyheaven1
are you sure about that?

Yes, Ghs fast fret has more in common with baby oil than it does with beeswax.

There is no way that fast fret is natural beeswax - provide proof I'm wrong and I'll gladly eat my words
Quote by cuthbertg
Yes, Ghs fast fret has more in common with baby oil than it does with beeswax.

There is no way that fast fret is natural beeswax - provide proof I'm wrong and I'll gladly eat my words

When I used to buy/sell the stuff (i was the sundries buyer for a large music shop chain) I was always told by my collegues that it was primarily bees wax.

I just did some quick research and it seems the main ingredient is mineral oil mixed with a solvent.

you learn something new every day :-)
Quote by hippyheaven1

just the add a little more, most furniture polish contains silicone too.
really, not good for guitars.

mr sheen: Contains <5% nonionic surfactants, Perfume, Geraniol, Limonene, Hexylcinnamic aldehyde, Preservative (Chloromethylisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Tetramethylolacetylenediurea)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
just the add a little more, most furniture polish contains silicone too.
really, not good for guitars.

mr sheen: Contains <5% nonionic surfactants, Perfume, Geraniol, Limonene, Hexylcinnamic aldehyde, Preservative (Chloromethylisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Tetramethylolacetylenediurea)

mr sheen is what ive used to polish guitars with for the last 20 years - use it on the strings too. no problems.

its what all my guitar teachers over the years have advised me to do. Plus a load of pro friends and their techs. PLus a luthier friend of mine. A lot of people both use it and recommend using it.
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by hippyheaven1
mr sheen is what ive used to polish guitars with for the last 20 years - use it on the strings too. no problems.

its what all my guitar teachers over the years have advised me to do. Plus a load of pro friends and their techs. PLus a luthier friend of mine. A lot of people both use it and recommend using it.

I've used Mr Sheen in the absense of expensive guitar polish quite happily for last 17 years - no problems at all. I've never tried it on my strings though. HHmmmm

I used to use fast fret quite a lot, but only ever touch the strings with it and then give a wipe down - I never get it anywhere near the wood.

Fast fret doesn't do anything for me in terms of keeping the strings clean/cleaning them though, I sweat a lot and can have nickel plated steel strings black inside an hour.

To clean the strings I use contact cleaner on a cloth and wrapped around the string so you dont touch the fretboard, then once they're clean a bit of fast fret.

Nowadays I just use servisol contact cleaner which has a lubricant in it already and is about a third of the price of FF

I've heard of people using baby oil to condition the board and lube the strings - never tried it though
i hear you. maybe some of the mr sheen line is just beeswax. we dont see it around here really.

after reading your posts i searched a woodworking site, and saw this tutorial / type reply that specifically mentioned a mr sheen spray. this one states that mr sheen does contain silicone.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=1095
some even go further to say, that, that's not a problem.

i just tend to never trust any commercial products. maybe that's overkill on my part.
but i feel like most of them change their contents on a whim and i'd rather not go that route when natural oils are so readily available.

and i wouldnt use baby oil. again, that's just me.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 3, 2008,
Yeah, silicon baad - sorry hippy heaven - I did say FF had silicon earlier and looking at the spiel it seems there isn't - I thought there was a trace of it at least, but i was right about it being more like baby oil than beeswax at least. Half a point each I say?

I checked the published ingredients for the mr sheen wood polish aerosol that I use on www.rbeuroinfo.com and i'm no chemist but I cannot see silicon in there. Remember though - it looks like there are 40 or so flavours of Mr sheen, and I use the wood polish one - not any of the multi purpose ones.

Mr Sheen Mr Sheen Aerosol Wood
Date Information Posted: 01-05-2008

The list below displays the product ingredients in descending order, with those containing the highest quantities appearing first.

Note: This is the latest formulation present on the market. It may not exactly match the product label. If your require further information or, if the information does not correspond with the product you bought, please contact our Consumer Services hotline found on the back label of your product.

Ingredients:
Aqua

C10-12 Alkane/Cycloalkane

Butane

Isobutane

Propane

Dimethicone

Paraffin

Sorbitan Oleate

Microcrystalline Wax

Dimethicone

Cera Alba

Parfum

Hexyl Cinnamal

Limonene

Methylchloroisothiazolinone

Methylisothiazolinone

Sodium Benzoate
Quote by cuthbertg
To clean the strings I use contact cleaner on a cloth and wrapped around the string so you dont touch the fretboard, then once they're clean a bit of fast fret.

Nowadays I just use servisol contact cleaner which has a lubricant in it already and is about a third of the price of FF

what type of contact cleaner? automotive? or other? wouldnt automotive contact cleaner be a little to strong for a little .09in wire? and will that also work on my acoustic strings? and which strings? all or just the G B e? sorry for all the Q's but im new to cleaning

and for the rest of you guys, thanx for the help and ideas! i really wasnt sure wat to do.

keep them coming!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
anybody?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
anybody?

sorry dude,

I use this

but any electrical lubricating switch/contact cleaner should be fine
it it works for me -but I've not heard anyone else doing this, so I'm either a genius or a moron

I use it on all strings on my leccy + acoustic spray a bit into a cloth and, one string at a time, wrap the bit of cloth with the cleaner under the string (the underneath is where most of the crap will be) and clean along the whole string until you dont get any more gunk on your cloth