First im buying an alesis multimix usb mixer this week.( if you ask why usb its because i need atleast 4 mics and cant spend as much money i would need to not) Well anyways i am wondering what would be a good quality software for me to start with. I am new to recording with software but i have seen lots of recordings done on pro tools just havent done any myself. I also cant spend alot on software if i have to spend any.

I was also wondering about bass drum micing. For example i love the sound of the bass drum on Nickelback's recordings. it just sounds so powerful and has an amazing sound. do you guys now how i could get that or immitate it for pretty cheep.

thanks
Reaper is a perfectly good multitracking softwafre to start with. Runs off many of the same principles as Pro Tools, as do most multi track sequencers. It's just $40 for the licence from their website, www.reaper.fm.

As for the kick drum, I like the AKG D112, but the Shure Beta 52 will be decent for a budget. Then tweak the EQ, which could be hard, seeing as the kick won't have its own track in your sequencer.
There is poetry in despair.
It connects to a Firewire slot. Don't have one? Get a Firewire card from Newegg or your local computer store. They shouldn't be more than $20.

As for you mixer, yes, it would separate everything. I'd go for at least Alesis' io26, if not a Presonus FP10, as you'd want more microphone inputs right?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Exactly 4? I'm going off that you wanted at least that number. The ones I mentioned have 8, but can have 6 and a stereo line-in.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101