I purchased a Jackson DKMG this past summer, and I've encountered a problem with the neck pickup (EMG 81 bridge, 85 neck). When using distortion on my low end Marshall amp (Solid State, not sure which model since I can't find it on the site, it's about 8 years old), several frets on different strings in the range of 14-17 will produce an unusually sharp undertone when played. When I use the clean settings it sounds fine, and when I play on many other frets it sounds fine, but for some reason about 3-5 frets sound horrible (again, they are on different strings and frets. the 14th fret on my e string will sound fine while the same fret on the d string might sound different). I don't have any recording software or hardware, so I can't give a soundclip to describe the problem, but it basically sounds like a sharp ringing underneath the normal tone of the neck pickup.

I've tried changing the strings (adjusted the action lower as well, which resulted in an unbearable amount of fret buzz on the low e 12th). I've tried changing the settings on the amp as well as playing with the knobs on the guitar, but the problem persists. I have not tried other amps however. Any advice would be appreciated.
Quote by qstionauthority
and it sounds fine when you use the bridge pickup?

Ah, forgot that part. Yeah, the bridge pickup sounds fine with distortion or through the clean channel.
well that's really weird then.
I was thinking the string might be hitting something, and I could diagnose it as a bowed neck, or uneven frets.
But if it's not something like that, then the only other thing I could think of is that maybe the "ringing" is always there, and the distortion just amplifies it to a noticeable level.

What it may be is the portion of string behind your hand (in between the nut and your finger), but that's unlikely unless you play only with hammer-ons. Try muting that and see if its still there.
Quote by qstionauthority
well that's really weird then.
I was thinking the string might be hitting something, and I could diagnose it as a bowed neck, or uneven frets.
But if it's not something like that, then the only other thing I could think of is that maybe the "ringing" is always there, and the distortion just amplifies it to a noticeable level.

What it may be is the portion of string behind your hand (in between the nut and your finger), but that's unlikely unless you play only with hammer-ons. Try muting that and see if its still there.

Just tried, the ringing persists. I think I might take it into Guitar Center after finals to see what they have to say.