When i start to record what do i record first? guitars drums or bass? or voxs but i thought i should do that later :\
i usually go guitar first then bass then vocals and lastly drums. the reason i start with guitar first is because its easier to know what im doing, i wont get lost and have the rhythm to play/sing to
Rhythm -> Melody.

That way tends to be easiest.
That doesnt mean that the drummer always goes first though. Especially if the drummer struggles to play with a met.
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
Rhythm -> Melody.

That way tends to be easiest.
That doesnt mean that the drummer always goes first though. Especially if the drummer struggles to play with a met.

let me add a bit more to my previous post as well what you can do if ur in a band situation is record everyone playing at the same time, as a demo then enhance on that
Quote by urdad
i usually go guitar first then bass then vocals and lastly drums. the reason i start with guitar first is because its easier to know what im doing, i wont get lost and have the rhythm to play/sing to

That sounds like the worst way of doing it. The drums need to be the backbone of the song, not laid on as an overdub. It's so much harder to keep the whole thing in time this way.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
That sounds like the worst way of doing it. The drums need to be the backbone of the song, not laid on as an overdub. It's so much harder to keep the whole thing in time this way.

well as i do my recording by myself it seems to be easier for me
Quote by hatchet130
hmm... i need the best opinion.

That's an oxymoron. No opinion is better than another.

I personally go Drums -> Bass -> Rhythm Guitar -> Keys -> Vox -> any extra lead guitar or keys
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Start with the drums ALWAYS. Gives you something to make sure all the instruments are in the same time and not all over the place. Then do the bass, then the guitars.
if you are just starting and not sure/dont' have a killer riff etc that you need to get down as the basis of the track first.....

Drums,
Bass ( I normally pick the rhythm for the bass to match the bass drum if doing it this way around as well)
Guitars
keybds etc
Vox

But it does not matter these days which way round you do it - whatever works for you.

In the days of 4 track tape and overdubbing, I think it was important to get the drums and bass first because during the process of overdubbing onto tape you would loose highs as you went along
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
There is no "correct" way when it comes to tracking order.

Here's what I normally do though
Drums (I'll record to a click track and fix them up with MIDI later)
Bass Guitar
Rhythm Guitar
Lead Guitar
Vocals
Keys...ect.

I may switch the Rhythm and Bass guitars around in order but usually I find putting a good bass line down with the drums helps me get ideas for the following parts.
Quote by Martindecorum
let me add a bit more to my previous post as well what you can do if ur in a band situation is record everyone playing at the same time, as a demo then enhance on that

+1

this isnt relevant to the threadstarter but a very good point!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Any pro studio will lay down the drums first. At least 99% of the time.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Drums first. I find it easier to stay in time when listening to drums in the background.

That's just me.